Weighing out rice

2»

Replies

• wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Yes the reason I don't weigh raw is that this wouldn't tell how much I ate.

As the cooked total is never eaten entirely by me.

So I just weigh my portion and log as cooked rice, x grams.

Of course, you only have to do it once. That is, weigh both the dry and cooked rice you make. So, for example, you do it and its 100g dry and 330g cooked you know that the way you like rice is cooked/3.3 = dry. Then any time you weigh cooked you have your dry weight also. That way you avoid the fact that you can be off as much as 50% by weighing the cooked rice.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,978 Member
    well, yes that may be so wilson - but for me, weighing the cooked rice the way do with the way I cook it at home, or eyeballing similar amounts if I am eating cooked rice elsewhere, works fine for me

Like I said before, that is close enough for me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,937 Member
    edited May 2020
    @paperpudding, we're going to make a case for that close enough is good enough theory of ours! I mean, truly - I do use a food scale but I'm not married to it. When I make batch food, my portion is either one, two or three serving ladles. They are half cup ladles. I know the approximate calories, but not exactly. With rice what's the worst that can happen? 50 calories? I mean it's easy enough to give myself a cup of rice by eye.

If I was trying to seriously under-eat I would be emotionally attached to every gram. Since I'm not, I'm not.
  • Mazintrov13
    Mazintrov13 Posts: 133 Member
    @paperpudding, we're going to make a case for that close enough is good enough theory of ours! I mean, truly - I do use a food scale but I'm not married to it. When I make batch food, my portion is either one, two or three serving ladles. They are half cup ladles. I know the approximate calories, but not exactly. With rice what's the worst that can happen? 50 calories? I mean it's easy enough to give myself a cup of rice by eye.

If I was trying to seriously under-eat I would be emotionally attached to every gram. Since I'm not, I'm not.

I totally agree, calorie counting is not an exact science anyway! In my opinion it should be about portion control, whether it’s measured exactly or a ball park estimate that depends on the individual.

I prefer to weigh everything to the gram as I like the data and am a perfectionist, but to be honest most people I know in real life would be put off by that and just eyeballing portions would work better. If your weight is not tracking where it’s meant to then look at tightening up logging but I don’t see why everyone needs to weigh everything to the gram it definitely not necessary
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    I'm sooooo lazy.

I weigh the total dry rice, it says 4 servings weighs so many grams...so I do. I cook, THEN I eyeball the servings. I mean if it's 4 servings, and I get 8 scoops, then two scoops is a serving.

We eat rice once in a blue moon though, if it were something we ate more often I might be more picky.

Pasta I just estimate using the same method - then overestimate a little bit for good measure. Pasta is a rough meal.
  • paperpudding
    Yes, last few posts - if one is not losing/maintaining/gaining to plan - then time to adjust the system, usually by tightening logging.

But my aim has never been to log as accurately as possible - it has been to log in an easy lazy way that is close enough to work for me and that I am happy to continue long term.

I appreciate some people are data geeks and love accurate logging, that's fine for them

But I always think it is good in these threads to present the other side of the coin - you dont have to faff around with messy maths calculations and before and after weighing and such like if you don't want to - there is usually an easier simpler good enough way that is good enough for many of us.
  • pantrap
    pantrap Posts: 2 Member
    Never tried this myself but you could buy a small (cup)cake ring. Cook your rice, put the ring on your plate, stuff rice in there and then weigh how much is in there. Easy/cleanable way to do portion control for just yourself when eating with others.
  • paperpudding
    bit lost as to how it is easier to stuff rice in a cup cake ring on your plate and weigh it vs just putting an amount of rice on your plate and weighing it.