Carb cycling experience

Options
anneb83
anneb83 Posts: 10 Member
Hello! I’ve been looking into carb cycling and was wondering if anyone on here has had some success on it? Any advice or caution?

Replies

• sharodian
    sharodian Posts: 0 Member
    Options
    Hello ,
    I am experimenting the carb cycling diet if you want to ask anything about it ✌🏼
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    As far as I know it is really only something that athletes benefit from doing. What is your goal with cycling your carbs?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    As @NovusDies said, what are you looking to accomplish with this? It is usually an advanced strategy for athletes or body builders.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Options
    The main purpose of carb cycling is to consume a more calories on your training days. For some people, they find it supports their exercise goals. It's not going to help with fat loss though.

I personally do CKD which is a ketogenic diet with carb refeeds every few weeks.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Also I'll tag @sardelsa as she has been using it for a long time.
  • anneb83
    Options
    I was really just aiming for fat loss. I’m not an athlete in that sense at all. I should mention on the low carb days my calories are slightly lower. Maybe I should be calorie cycling?
  • psuLemon
    Options
    anneb83 wrote: »
    I was really just aiming for fat loss. I’m not an athlete in that sense at all. I should mention on the low carb days my calories are slightly lower. Maybe I should be calorie cycling?

Often people do run low calories on off days and higher calories and carbs on training days.
  • anneb83
    Options
    @sharodian have you loss weight on it? Or are you doing it for body building/intense athletic training?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    anneb83 wrote: »

You don't *have* to cycle anything to lose weight. A consistent calorie deficit is going to create weight loss whether you're cycling or not.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would say carb cyling is more of an advanced technique typically used by those with more experience who want an extra edge in terms of workout performance, adherence and in some cases hormone function (in particular hunger hormones). You basically vary your carb intake each day. For some people this can result in varying calories each day (calorie cycling), others might increase other macros to balance it out and keep calories consistent.

I used it in the past to lose weight and lean out...I did two days low carbs, three days moderate carbs and two high carb days to help boost workout performance and adherence. I really only use it in a deficit if I am very lean and on lower calories (for me that is around 2200 calories average).

If you are using it just for fat loss I would first make sure you get the hang of tracking your macros and hitting your calorie goals. If you have been doing that for a while and feel ready to take it to the next level go for it and see how you feel.
  • anneb83
    Options
    @sardelsa thank you for the response! It was very helpful. I think I might just try varying my calories on different days (while still creating a deficit) and see where that takes me.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i carb cycle and have been doing it for several years - i use a 7 day cycle that is a combo of either H/M/L carbs and then 2 alternating fat levels; protein remains fixed. I've found that having my high carb day on a rest/recovery day does it better than on a heavy training day (so i do it on the day before my harder workouts). I also don't supplement nutrition until i have more than an hour of cardio
  • tracylayne68
    tracylayne68 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    sharodian wrote: »
    Hello ,
    I am experimenting the carb cycling diet if you want to ask anything about it ✌🏼

Hi. I'm very curious about doing this. Just listened to the VShred marketing but don't want to sign up for his program after seeing all the complaints on the BBB site. What resources are you using? Are you doing any type of exericse as well? I want to incorporate HIIT.
  • lorrieannoberry
    lorrieannoberry Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i am doing faster way program with some co-workers. 20 wks and 30 pounds down. i reset fitness pal for macros so on Monday and Tuesday i do double fat but only 50 carbs and protein stays the same. Wed through Sunday i eat however many carbs, fats, and protein my app says. we work out for 30 min every day of week at lunch with faster way. off weekends. I have been trying to get in yards more and i have done a few short walks but mostly just what i said above. weight is coming off and muscle building some and measurements are decreasing. I just pulled out two shirts that wouldn't fit on upper arms and they fit now. so for me it works. and i get to eat what i want as long as i log and stay withing 10 points either way.