Help??? Not losing weight???

Options
I am 18 years old, and I would really like to lose 10 pounds of fat. I have been trying to do this for the last 4 months, but not a single pound has come off my body. I exercise every day (walking, running, HIIT, strength training) and have been cutting calories. I eat about 1500 calories a day, sometimes less. I don't count calories exactly, but I don't have to because I know for sure I am below my maintenance. For example, all I ate today was a sweet potato, 2 eggs, and 2 slices of bread (i don't have to count to know that I am in a deficit). I fast at least 18-20 hours every day, and I did OMAD for an entire month. I eat super healthy too (no junk food, ONLY drink water, 90% of my diet is whole, nutrient rich foods). By all logic, I should be losing fat.

The only possibility I would consider affecting my weight loss is low estrogen. I have missed my period for a month (even though my weight barely changed). Would this have any impact on my fat loss? Looking for any advice/opinions. Thanks!

Replies

• kakemery
    kakemery Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would say, based on the description above, that you are not eating enough calories. If you are not meeting your base calories, your body goes into starvation mode and clings to fat. With that deficit, whenever you work out, you will burn muscle instead of fat. Since muscle helps with burning fat, you are doing the opposite of what you intend.
    I would actually log everything you eat and see how many calories you are consuming. Try to get at least 1100/day.
    It wouldn't hurt to see a dr and get things checked out. If you are regularly in the deficit you described though, the missed period could very well be a byproduct of poor nutrition. In the end even though you are eating the right foods, you might not be eating enough of them.
  • kakemery
    kakemery Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    kakemery wrote: »
    I would say, based on the description above, that you are not eating enough calories. If you are not meeting your base calories, your body goes into starvation mode and clings to fat. With that deficit, whenever you work out, you will burn muscle instead of fat. Since muscle helps with burning fat, you are doing the opposite of what you intend.
    I would actually log everything you eat and see how many calories you are consuming. Try to get at least 1100/day.
    It wouldn't hurt to see a dr and get things checked out. If you are regularly in the deficit you described though, the missed period could very well be a byproduct of poor nutrition. In the end even though you are eating the right foods, you might not be eating enough of them.

The minimum a sedentary female should be eating is 1200 calories a day. 1100 would be to low.

Yep, it should have said 1200 but I hit 11 on my phone.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    Options
    She may not be in starvation "mode" but, for all we know, based on what I hope is NOT a typical eating day, she could well be in actual starvation <no mode> depending on starting weight and while trying to implement insane deficits.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    well, not likely if she has lost no weight in 4 months despite eating her own estimation of 1500 calories (despite one day of definite under eating but she didnt say that was a typical day) - unless the starting weight is already way too low, in which case weight loss is the wrong goal altogether.

OP, what is your weight and height?
  • sashabee25
    sashabee25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 and 125 lbs. I do want to get down to 115 even if that's on the lower end of my BMI. However I don't think it will be unhealthy since I do have prominent fat stores I would like to get rid of.

Additionally, I weighed in at around 110 just a few months ago (before I started college) and I was the healthiest I had been with way more energy than I have now. I was able to eat until I was totally satisfied and not gain a pound, but now it feels like the opposite...
  • sashabee25
    sashabee25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A lot of people are also saying I have not been in a deficit, but I don't think that's the issue. A few months ago, I was at 110 lbs and I had maintained that weight for 2 years while eating whatever I wanted. Now (after I started college lifestyle) I am eating half of what I used to eat in an attempt to lose some weight so there is no way I could possibly cut down on calories even more without screwing up my health.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,603 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    A doctors appointment is something you will really benefit from if you are honest with them. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10797947/should-a-teenager-water-fast-starve-for-a-few-days/p1
    in which case weight loss is the wrong goal altogether.
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    A more appropriate goal may be re-composition as opposed to aiming for arbitrary weight loss.

@paperpudding... I think we're just getting closer to the day when, in spite of your public protestations, we will discover that you secretively enjoy consuming cornichons and some of their relatives of the Cucumis genus! :grin:
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    OP I'm more worried about the fact your period has stopped, any chance you are pregnant? Otherwise that's a warning sign that you are doing something unhealthy.

The meal you quoted may not have enough calories, but there is every possibility that other days you are eating enough to create a maintenance. I know there are days where I can eat way above my maintenance, and other days I'm in deficit, therefore overall at maintenance level.
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Yep the period loss is a red flag for me plus the level of intense exercise and reported low calories (even though only one day lsintske is given so hard to generalise from that)

OP see ur doctor about the period. Do less exercise.

You could look into recomp if you are wanting to look toned/muscular.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,986 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    A doctors appointment is something you will really benefit from if you are honest with them. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10797947/should-a-teenager-water-fast-starve-for-a-few-days/p1
    in which case weight loss is the wrong goal altogether.
    A more appropriate goal may be re-composition as opposed to aiming for arbitrary weight loss.

@paperpudding... I think we're just getting closer to the day when, in spite of your public protestations, we will discover that you secretively enjoy consuming cornichons and some of their relatives of the Cucumis genus! :grin:

Had to look up what a cornichon was - oh, a fancy gherkin.

Can assure you I am not a secret consumer of either gherkins or their fresh version cucumbers :o - although good to see we are on same page with other thoughts.

Everybody else, please return to your regular broadcast and ignore next episode in cucumber wars. ;)