Options

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    goatg wrote: »
    I've even resorted to putting on my race kit and doing a race simulation occasionally just to get the juices flowing. :)

🤣🤣🤣 halfway there!

Exactly! Just need body markings and an old race bib and I'd really be in the game!

My wife already thinks I'm crazy, I think I'll bring a marker home......

A little OT but I'm thinking of signing up for a couple of virtual tris (I just found out that Toronto will be putting one on as they actual race is cancelled)
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    goatg wrote: »
    I've even resorted to putting on my race kit and doing a race simulation occasionally just to get the juices flowing. :)

🤣🤣🤣 halfway there!

Exactly! Just need body markings and an old race bib and I'd really be in the game!

My wife already thinks I'm crazy, I think I'll bring a marker home......

A little OT but I'm thinking of signing up for a couple of virtual tris (I just found out that Toronto will be putting one on as they actual race is cancelled)

Brian, makes perfect sense to me. Left and Right arm: Race Bib # Right Calf: M62 (sex and age)
    And after years of this stuff, my wife has stopped rolling her eyes at this stuff. Now she just smiles and says "That's great, honey. You go have fun."

I haven't signed up for any virtual races yet, but I may do so.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Are these types of v-races where you just go out and do the distance, self/family supported?
  • Djproulx
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Are these types of v-races where you just go out and do the distance, self/family supported?

I can't speak for other formats, but a number of folks in my tri club have done or are doing the Ironman Virtual Club races. You sign up, do the workouts/challenges/races and track them on your device, then sync them to the Virtual Club profile. You can earn points, etc. and I think they even award some prizes. Ironman is marketing it as a way to keep athletes motivated to continue training.

• BrianSharpe
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Pretty much, I know the one my club put on has a fairly broad time frame and Ottawa Race Weekend is allowing entries up to ealy September as they don't want 40,000 people out running a variety of distances all in one weekend.

I'm still waiting on the details for the Toronto Triathlon virtual race.
  • JasmijnRF
    JasmijnRF Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Well done, Brian! I sent you a request on Garmin. It's always nice to get some inspiration :)
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I only trust the numbers (which were pretty close to my actual value the only time I was tested) when I wear my HRM strap. The HRM on the watch can be way off sometimes. Based on the HR, I once had Strava tell me my effort was less than normal. It was a one mile race (I couldn't go any faster if a bear was chasing me :wink: ).
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    I only trust the numbers (which were pretty close to my actual value the only time I was tested) when I wear my HRM strap. The HRM on the watch can be way off sometimes. Based on the HR, I once had Strava tell me my effort was less than normal. It was a one mile race (I couldn't go any faster if a bear was chasing me :wink: ).

I hear you on the chest strap......I put a titanium bracelet on the Fenix and got some utterly bizarre numbers running, as soon as I put the chest strap back on they went back to what I expected.

I've only ever done on 1 mile race.....it was grueling, I'd rather do a half-marathon any day of the week!

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    @BrianSharpe I put a metal and sandalwood strap on my Fenix. Less adjustable than the one it came with (but nice looking) so I wear it slightly loose. My resting heart rate magically dropped by 10 points as soon as I put the new strap on!
  • BrianSharpe
    Options
    @BrianSharpe I put a metal and sandalwood strap on my Fenix. Less adjustable than the one it came with (but nice looking) so I wear it slightly loose. My resting heart rate magically dropped by 10 points as soon as I put the new strap on!

I wish mine would drop....no change with the strap...... a few years ago it was 48 not its 55 on a good day. I need to drop some weight and run more.
  • NorthCascades
    Options
    Mine didn't really drop, it's reading lower because the band doesn't fit as well. I just posted that to make you laugh after your experience with wonky numbers. 🙂
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Mine takes a bit of time to rise up during a run... For a really short distance, maybe it was still in the process of shooting up and the average turned out to be lower despite the effort.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Been comparing Garmin's VO2 max estimate with Strava's Fitness & Freshness data.....

As they both use HRM and power meter metrics not surprisingly the trends look similar.
    Recent uptick in fitness has been driven by higher volume and more hill work.
    Not clear to me how the Strava fitness scale from Strava is quantified - score of 74 what?

It's clearly not VO2 max (I wish it was!!!) as Garmin estimates mine at 43 currently.

wdddydzz0xwd.jpg

(Fitness = shaded area, Fatigue = squiggly line.

2jj1fp427l1r.png

• NorthCascades
    Options
    @sijomial

Strava's fitness and freshness is their own version of CTL, ATL, and TSB which are proprietary. I don't know what the numbers themselves mean, I suspect they're meant to be understood on a relative not absolute basis. In principal though your fitness is your chronic training load which is the average of your volume over the last 45 or so days. Fatigue is your accute training load, average of your past 7 days or so. Form or training stress balance is the difference between the two; when your fatigue is less than your fitness you're in a good position to go nail some PRs or a race.

Apologies if that was already understood.
  • sijomial
    Options
    @sijomial

Strava's fitness and freshness is their own version of CTL, ATL, and TSB which are proprietary. I don't know what the numbers themselves mean, I suspect they're meant to be understood on a relative not absolute basis. In principal though your fitness is your chronic training load which is the average of your volume over the last 45 or so days. Fatigue is your accute training load, average of your past 7 days or so. Form or training stress balance is the difference between the two; when your fatigue is less than your fitness you're in a good position to go nail some PRs or a race.

@NorthCascades

Some already known/guessed but that was very helpful, thank you.

I have a dislike of numbers or scales that aren't properly explained!
    74 what? And why a scale of up to 110?

I'll go and calm my chimp with the thought I'm in pretty a good place to start off June's cycling month if I have a relaxed weekend.

• Djproulx
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    @sijomial

@NorthCascades

Some already known/guessed but that was very helpful, thank you.

I have a dislike of numbers or scales that aren't properly explained!
    74 what? And why a scale of up to 110?

I'll go and calm my chimp with the thought I'm in pretty a good place to start off June's cycling month if I have a relaxed weekend.

I'm a bit late to the discussion, but like @NorthCascades, I'm a big fan of the TP software tools. I"m not a Strava guy, so I was unaware that Strava offered a tool that tracks fitness and fatigue over time.

As you've discussed, the TP and Stava tools are measuring "Fitness" (Cumulative Training Load over last 43 days) "Fatigue"(Acute Training Load over the last 7days) and "Freshness" (Training Stress Balance (CTL-ATL=TSB)). TSB is an indicator of "Race Readiness". Many coaches and athletes like to do a periodized build, say 16 weeks, where fitness and fatigue build, with the Fitness value building positive, the Fatigue value building negative, then during a taper, an athlete sheds fatigue much faster than fitness to reach a TSB near Zero on race day, arriving at the starting line "Fit and Fresh".

Regarding the numbers and the relative scale. I don't know all the math and science here, but the cumulative training load is built based on each day's work (over a 43 day rolling period). Each workout is assigned a TSS, or Training Stress Score. I believe the TSS is derived from each session's duration and intensity. (a one hour run gets a lower TSS than a combined 3hour bike/45min run workout) This is all nicely displayed on the graphing tool that allows a look back and forward up to 730 days. The tool can show swim, bike, run fitness individually, or in the case below, the combined fitness:

lfyti5fanhzt.jpg

Finally, when talking about endurance sports, I think of the CTL score as a measure of where I am in fitness against where I need to be on race day to finish a race strong. The chart attached shows triathletes training for various distance races the expected hours/week, TSS/week and overall CTL (fitness) levels needed to complete the events.

47fd4hkty9d9.jpg

• NorthCascades
    Options
    I think this is already clear but just in case.

TSS = training stress score. An hour at FTP gets you 100, 2 hours at half your FTP also gets you 100. FTP being as hard as you're capable of for an hour.

TSS = 100 * (seconds * (avg power / FTP) / 3600)

Actually I just looked it up and either I remember wrong or this is needlessly complicated.

TSS = (sec x NP x IF)/(FTP x 3600) x 100

Now I'm confused.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    I think this is already clear but just in case.

TSS = training stress score. An hour at FTP gets you 100, 2 hours at half your FTP also gets you 100. FTP being as hard as you're capable of for an hour.

TSS = 100 * (seconds * (avg power / FTP) / 3600)

Actually I just looked it up and either I remember wrong or this is needlessly complicated.

TSS = (sec x NP x IF)/(FTP x 3600) x 100

Now I'm confused.

I'm too lazy to do the calculation on one of my workouts to see how the equation proves out, but the other variables are Normalized Power (an algorithmic estimate of the physiological cost of a workout) and Intensity Factor (the relative intensity of a given workout without regard for duration).

These two metric values are still taped to my bike. For the Ironman bike split, the only metrics I watched during the 6& hour ride were maintaining Power at 155-160 and keeping the IF at .72 over a hilly course. The purpose and value of riding to these outputs was to conserve as much energy as possible for the marathon to follow.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    During my morning run yesterday the topic of VO2max came up. The guy I was running with commented that Garmin gave him a number in the 40's. Garmin gives me numbers generally in the mid 50's. Knowing that my friend I was running with could kick my *kitten* any time he wanted made me think.... He has been running trails with ungodly amounts of vertical gain for the past 8 weeks and I have started to add speed work back into my routine. I would bet the different approaches we are using to training is the reason because the numbers make no sense any other way...

ETA - To me this makes the measurement only useful if you are doing the type of training that allows it to be measured more accurately. Slow trail miles (even extremely challenging ones) will not produce an accurate result. YMMV.
  • sijomial
    Options
    During my morning run yesterday the topic of VO2max came up. The guy I was running with commented that Garmin gave him a number in the 40's. Garmin gives me numbers generally in the mid 50's. Knowing that my friend I was running with could kick my *kitten* any time he wanted made me think.... He has been running trails with ungodly amounts of vertical gain for the past 8 weeks and I have started to add speed work back into my routine. I would bet the different approaches we are using to training is the reason because the numbers make no sense any other way...

ETA - To me this makes the measurement only useful if you are doing the type of training that allows it to be measured more accurately. Slow trail miles (even extremely challenging ones) will not produce an accurate result. YMMV.

@dewd2

Joe Friel touches on an interesting subject in book I read earlier this year (Fast After 50)....

VO2 max is only a measure (or estimate in Garmin's case) of oxygen uptake and not directly a performance metric.
    Apparantly Olympic marathon winner Frank Shorter had a really ordinary VO2 max (in comparison to other elite runners) but appeared to use that oxygen far more efficiently than other runners judging by his speed and results.

Would be a fascinating comparison if you and your friend were following the same programme and at same point in the same program.

In Garmin's case I see the same thing as you in that long slow rides skew the VO2 estimate downwards and short intense rides skew it upwards. My score can zigzag quite nicely especially indoor training with less variables when clearly my actual oxygen uptake ability isn't changing day by day. The extended trend seems reasonable/believable for me though.