Vegetarian friendly alternatives to sandwinches.i

skinnyrev2b
skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
Hey lovely peeps.
I'm on 1280 calories a day. I can manage that if i exercise (walk/steps, cycle, swim when lockdown ends etc), but I'd rather not HAVE to rely on those since I'm aware I'm better off not eating *all* my exercise calories.
What's everyone's go-to lunches that are filling and around 350 calories?
TIA.
๐Ÿ˜‹

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Oatmeal with blueberries or blackberries (the berries have lower sugar than apples or bananas). I microwave the oatmeal at work.

Soup and salad: Lentil soup with spinach salad. Again, I microwave the soup at work. I take a large spinach salad with baby carrots, grape tomatoes, snow peas, and light balsamic vinagrette.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,242 Member
    Mashed Chickpea salad. Made just like a tuna or chicken salad.

• tapwaters
    tapwaters Posts: 428 Member
    non-dairy yogurt and fruit;
    vegetarian sandwiches -- check out tofurky's deli slices, they're wonderful and very low calories. The trick is to find bread with low calories. Many rye breads are about 60-90 per slice;
    veggies and hummus;
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    250g cottage cheese, 250g each cucumber and carrot sticks plus an apple
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    How about lettuce wrap filled with veggies.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Try you-tube vids- there are tons of options and good luck
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    edited May 2020
    My quick go to lunch or dinner when Iโ€™m feeling lazy is lentils and pita bread. I like Madras Lentils from tasty bite and the stone fire mini naans or garlic naan. You can get both at Costco. The lentils are ready in 60 seconds in the microwave.
  • owieprone
    owieprone Posts: 217 Member
    going on from missysippy930's comment, is there such a thing as vegetarian cheese slices (if you're not doing dairy either)? You can wrap or use the cheese slices as bread - proper cheese slices not the processed diarylee type stuff.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Ezekiel tortilla, smoked tofu, mustard, thin-sliced onion, raw sauerkraut, warmed, folded over soft-taco-style. About 290 calories and 21g protein like that, but I enjoy some lower-fat cheese on it, like mozzarella, which adds maybe 80 calories and another 5-7g protein. You could use a non-dairy cheese, but I can't give you a calorie/protein estimate on that since I'm ovo-lacto. It can be eaten cold, too.

Cold edamame noodle salad, with a PB2 peanut sauce dressing (PB2 or similar peanut butter powder, rice wine vinegar, Tamari, other seasonings if you like (minced ginger root, minced garlic, chile paste, whatever). Then veggies of choice, I like cucumbers, sweet white or green onions, especially, but lots of things are good. A dash of toasted sesame oil is nice in the dressing if you have the calories. The edamame noodles and PB2 are going to run around 250 calories and 29g protein, and the veggies can be pretty negligible calorically, depending on your choices. Sesame oil adds some flavor at even a teaspoon for 46ish calories, or you could add a small amount of toasted sliced almonds or toasted chopped peanuts instead.

If you have access to a microwave or an insulated covered lunch bowl, black beans + sweet potato chunks is a yummy combo (I like sweet corn in it to, if I have the calories available), or veggie chili with beans (add about a tablespoon of unsweetened cacao/cocoa powder for richer flavor, or alternatively blend in some dark miso), in addition to soups others have suggested.

Don't forget about the potential for some nutritional yeast in soups or such things, too, for a small protein bump and (with the right brand) some B12.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,304 Member
    edited May 2020
    Quinoa salad: 1 cup quinoa (pre-cooked)
    15 oz cooked beans or lentils (your choice, I like black & pinto 50/50)
    1 red bell pepper (small dice)
    1 stalk celery (small dice
    1/2 cup shredded carrot
    1/4 cup shredded cabbage
    1/2 can drained whole kernel corn (or 1 cup thawed from frozen)
    Garlic to taste
    5 green onions, thin sliced

cook the quinoa, mix tge veg in, add some kind of dressing (vinegrette works best I think--I did a pineapple vinegrette recently that was super yummy) and you have 5-6 meals ~250 cals (depends on dressing and veggies). If you're using lentils, you can cook them with the quinoa.

Or use brown rice, mix up the veg, maybe try some tomato (fresh or canned or sundried) and/or green peas, try roasted peppers or jalepeno, use more cabbage or slaw mix or shredded brussel sprouts, radish if you like them, diced cooked cold beets, blanched small chopped broccoli/cauliflower/ asparagus/green beans...

Also, if you like sandwiches...hummus with cucumbers, avocado, sliced tomato and roasted pepper. Add a little sliced onion, if you like. There is a series of vegetarian cookbooks created by Moosewood Restaurant that have a lot of excellent sandwichy veg options (on bread, lavosh, pita, tortilla or lettuce). A lot of their recipes are on their website and various other sites. Also a lot of lunchy stuff, soups, grain salads. Fabulous recipes!!

...sweet potato & black bean burritos!!
  • skinnyrev2b
    skinnyrev2b Posts: 400 Member
    Thanks guys! Some awesome ideas here. Feeling hungry already!
  • AlannaWulf
    AlannaWulf Posts: 25 Member
    Veggie stir fry with lots of low calorie veggies.
    Salad loaded with veggies.
    Soup/stew loaded with veggies.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Iceberg lettuce, black beans, light sour cream, taco sauce, small amount shredded cheddar.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    If you feel that your calories are too low then why not lose at a slightly lower rate and eat more?

My breakfast usually is oats with skyr (low fat) at a 1:2 ratio, a few raisins and whatever fruit I have at the moment. I eat it cold and freshly made because the oats are still crunchy then. I need solid foods to feel full, and can't stand warm dairy anyway.
  • TabulaRasaElisa
    TabulaRasaElisa Posts: 7 Member
    Mashed Chickpea salad. Made just like a tuna or chicken salad.

I second that!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I've been on a veggie burger kick lately, completely smothered in fried mushrooms, onions, peppers and spinach, with a little avocado.