Best Advice Given After Overeating

Options
NeahF
NeahF Posts: 49 Member
edited May 2020 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
I think every few weeks I will go completely berserk with my food. Like, raiding the fridge in the first am hours, pancakes, whipped cream, cookies, and like five bowls of cereal. I texted a friend (certified nutritionalist) after this to see what I should do... Should I cut my calories for the next week? I was so ashamed with myself and upset, thinking I've ruined all progress and thinking Id wake up the next morning sick. Okay, the downsides of eating like this at night is, yes, I do sometimes, a lot of the times, feel sick. But anyways, not the point; the point is the advice that she had given me.
How much had I gone over? Like 600 calories over.
The good news? My body would recover. In fact, it would start expelling more energy in everything I did the next day because I had more stored energy. You know about carb loading before a big competition? Well, my body was just ready to get out some BIG energy. I worked extra hard in my workout the next day just because I had the energy to.

This weekend I over did it again by a bit. But I ran today and was so much faster because of all the energy.

Moral of the story is, don't beat yourself up for eating over your goal. Your body will use it as fuel! Don't live everyday like this, of course, if maintaining weight is your goal. But enjoy the extra burst of energy after the weekend and don't beat yourself up! Happy maintaining, everyone ;)

Replies

• fdlewenstein
    fdlewenstein Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Love your mindset! Really good advice.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Binge eating like that is not healthy, physically or mentally. Seriously consider professional help before it develops into something far more sinister.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Skrib69 wrote: »
    Binge eating like that is not healthy, physically or mentally. Seriously consider professional help before it develops into something far more sinister.

Something more sinister like?
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I agree with exercising it off. You can do it the next day.. or over a few days. I like it..because when I start blowing it; It either stop and think I don't have time to work it off.. or hey.. I want to do this. Overall.. you end up overeating less.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    For me it isn't normal. Pretending it is and rationalizing may pull you into a binging disorder. I agree to try to discover why you're doing this. I would think that what you're eating daily is not enough or satisfying.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Binge purge?

Honestly OP I kinda look at it the same, but gentle corrections over time.
  • malungidodo
    malungidodo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    And here I was worried because I ate 4 shortbread Biscuits at one go. I guess one's usual diet determines what bingeing is.
    Anyway, I hope you get to the bottom of your need for early hour meals.
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

Well there could be several. On the face of it, it is the definition of a binge eater, and the reference to a friend who is a nutritionalist is classic justification. One would hope the ‘friend’ would pick up on this. Progression could be to bulimia, anorexia, laxative abuse etcetera. As has been said throughout the post, you need to understand why you do such things and deal with that rather than the sticking plaster of dealing with the calories.