Should I add anything to this twice per week strength routine?

Ryguy08
Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
edited May 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been doing my own strength training routine twice per week to free up days for other things. It's a full body routine where I do 5 sets of 6 exercises at home. It lasts for about an hour, but it's just twice a week so it's not a problem. I was wondering if there are any other exercises I should be doing that would be beneficial, like maybe a different set of exercises for the second workout? Right now they are the same 6 ones which consist of: curl/press, squats, dips, pull ups, flat bench press, and stiff leg deadlifts. The equipment I have is an adjustable set of dumbbells, bench, dip station, and pull up bar.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    I'm not sure what you mean by curl/press. Is it a bicep curl to overhead press? Because over head press is the only thing I see really missing from the big 5 lifts. It looks pretty balanced. You could alternate rows with pullups and deadlifts/stiff leg deads for different range of motion.
  • Ryguy08
    Yes, it's a combination curl to overhead press. If I didn't do the curls first, I could definitely press more weight. So I was thinking about just a press or Arnold press for the second workout. Rows are definitely something I'd like to start doing again. Thanks!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    What is your goal? Hard to know what will be beneficial without knowing what you are trying to accomplish.

What is your does your old program volume/rep scheme look like?

How long ago did you change?

Can you post the template so I can see the volume/rep scheme you plan on using?

I'm curious why one more hour(one session) is not possible. This would really make a difference for almost any goal unless you are playing competitive sports or training for something else outside of resistance.
  • Ryguy08
    edited May 2020
    My goal is general strength and conditioning. I'm doing 5 sets with varying reps, but if I feel like they're getting too high, I increase the weight and decrease the reps. I have kids and work full time, and I like to free up a couple days a week for conditioning (running, hiking, HIIT routines). So it's tough to free up another day and get enough rest and recovery in between workouts. I used to think that I had to train for at least 3 days a week. But prior to starting this, I read a lot of things online about how beneficial 2 days a week can be if done right (full body routines and increased volume). Here's an example:

https://muscleevo.net/training-twice-a-week/
  • Justin_7272
    Justin_7272 Posts: 341 Member
    Add a day. Add a progressive overload program (Allpros or Starting Strength). Add rows.

Your exercises are a good selection, but without a structured progressive overload program you're spinning your wheels.

FWIW I can knockout All Pros (total 6 lifts, avg. 18 sets x 10 reps per workout) in ~35-40 minutes.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited June 2020
    I see.

Two days per week while can be beneficial to some very early on, but will not drive progress long term for the majority.

I literally reserve two days per week to those participating in a competitive sport or novel to lifting for the most part.

That being said increasing weight and decreasing reps is a strategy more directed towards powerlifting or oly and not general strength.

If anything I would lower the intensity and increase the volume in such away that the desired outcome promotes a adaptation.

So if you want to increase strength, generally we would bump up the volume not decrease.

If you can't recover for the amount of volume at the intensity you choose to drive progress then we have three options.

1. More advanced programming including auto regulation with the proper intensity.
    2. Add a third day to help with recovery with proper intensity.
    3. Accept the fact that your goals of training twice a week isn't necessarily going to meet your current expectations of progress.

Btw, I would put too much in that article you posted. Unless you're reading the actual studies, it might be something that is not relative to your life style.

I've read studies stating they used advanced resistance trained athletes from college that trained for minimum two years, to only find out they were squatting extremely low numbers for a one rep max. Meaning they were at best general fitness gym goers and subject to increase their 1rm with very basic conditions used for novices.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Here’s a great video on specificity
    Running hiking and hiit don’t really go with
    Strength training

https://youtu.be/h8oAKnIfOq4