0 calories but 15 carbs??

Options
Hi,

I really like Sobe Lifewater and drink two to three a day.

I have been logging them as 2.5 servings per bottle, per the nutrition facts on the bottle. Because there are 6 grams of carbs per serving that means 15 carbs per bottle.

However, it is advertised as being a zero calorie drink. This is where I'm confused. How can something with 15 carbs have no calories?

Do you know?

Replies

• funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    It shouldn't be possible, since 1g carb = 4 calories.

But, here's the thing: FDA allows food companies to label a product as 0 calories if it had less than 5 calories PER serving. I'm guessing that has something to do with the carbs. But if you've been drinking this water and haven't had any problem, then don't worry about it. Apparently splenda has 4 calories per packet, but I never count those and haven't had a problem. Some people don't count creamer in their coffee or sticks of gum either. It's such a negligible amount. It really doesn't matter.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound right to me.
    As far as I understand it, each gram of carbs has 4 calories.
    So 15g of carbs = 60 calories.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Because I'm guessing you live in America where food manufacturers are able to publish blatant lies.

From reading posts by American on here, I've learned that if a produce has a low number of calories, they're allowed to call it zero calories.

Crazy...
  • hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I was wondering this the other day, too.

Threw it out and got some real water. [:
  • lbgano
    lbgano Posts: 234
    Options
    Well holy crap! That's 120 to 180 calories per day I'm not logging then!

Those bastids!

Thanks guys!
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    It's made with Erithyol, a sugar alcohol, which if I recall correctly, has much less calories than normal carbohydrates do. It's not technically zero calories, but it is probably close to it.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing what you are drinking contains a sweetener of some sort.

Many artificial sweeteners contain carbohydrates, but these carbohydrates (usually a derivative of sugar) are not digestible. As you body cannot digest it, it is not an energy source, and therefore has zero calories.

The carbs are there, but your body can't digest them.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    its a lie.... simple as that.
  • lbgano
    Options
    I was wondering this the other day, too.

Threw it out and got some real water. [:

I know that is what I SHOULD do - but it's my little treat...I think I'll just switch to vitamin water - 1 gram of carbs per serving so 2.5 grams per bottle = 10 calories. 20-30 extra calories a day I can handle!
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    its a lie.... simple as that.

Nothing's "simple as that". Let's stop the alarmism people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyols
  • lbgano
    Options
    It's made with Erithyol, a sugar alcohol, which if I recall correctly, has much less calories than normal carbohydrates do. It's not technically zero calories, but it is probably close to it.

Yep, that's the stuff all right. Says it's a Stevia extract.
  • luckyandme
    luckyandme Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Although you are very right that things like gum and sugar have very few calories that some don't bother to track those in their journals here. To each is there own but I know for me tracking everything I ate for at least the first few weeks has really helped me to get a better sense of what I am putting in my mouth as well as the calories I am consuming. I am not disagreeing with those who decide not to track such small things but for me it really helps. Example the tea I was drinking each morning was 0 calories however the milk and sugar I add to it each day add up to about 25 calories. Although it isn't much at all I sometimes have anywhere from 1-3 cups of tea a day and always at least 1 cup of tea every day. So for me sometimes those little things really add up. Of course everyone has to find what works for them but for me this helps.
    It shouldn't be possible, since 1g carb = 4 calories.

But, here's the thing: FDA allows food companies to label a product as 0 calories if it had less than 5 calories PER serving. I'm guessing that has something to do with the carbs. But if you've been drinking this water and haven't had any problem, then don't worry about it. Apparently splenda has 4 calories per packet, but I never count those and haven't had a problem. Some people don't count creamer in their coffee or sticks of gum either. It's such a negligible amount. It really doesn't matter.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sounds like anything I want to put in my mouth. Read the whole article here:
    http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2010/08/07/sobe-lifewater-0-calories/

I'm quoting partial here:
    "We randomly picked the SoBe lifewater yumberry pomegranate flavor and took a close look inside the label.

Here’s the ingredient list:

Filtered Water, Erythritol, Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Xanthan Gum, Calcium Lactate, Potassium Citrate, REB A (Purevia Brand), Modified Food Starch, Cochineal Extract (Color), Vitamin E Acetate, Calcium Phosphate, Gum Arabic, Ginseng Extract, Dandelion Root Extract, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12).

For a water beverage, this product sure has lots of additives! (8 of 21 ingredients, in bold). The stevia sweetener is enhanced with Erythritol which is a sugar alcohol used in sugar free gums and other low sugar products. It is virtually calorieless but may cause bloating in some people.

The “natural flavor” is a proprietary cocktail of extracts that creates the illusion of drinking “yumberries” and pomegranates. Citric Acid adds an acidic/sour flavor too foods and beverages.

But what are modified food starch, xantham gum and gum arabic doing in this drink? These additives are used as thickeners, for example in salad dressing and ice creams. Here they provide just enough viscosity to give a richer mouth feel, as if you are drinking a rich elixir, not plain old tap water mixed with vitamins and flavors.

The reddish tinge of this drink comes from a natural, yet gross, source – cochineal extract. Basically it’s bug powder. But hey, it’s definitely better than Red #40.

All the vitamins are achievable if you eat real food.

While this drink is not going to directly add to your weight, it does condition the palate to expect a beverage to be sweet. That’s not good. If you drink it here and there, it’s probably OK, just don’t fool yourself that the vitamins here are going to make you the healthy vibrant person you could be if you eat more fruits and vegetables."
  • Schwiggity
    Options
    v3d3wm.jpg
  • atomdraco
    Options
    I know that is what I SHOULD do - but it's my little treat...I think I'll just switch to vitamin water - 1 gram of carbs per serving so 2.5 grams per bottle = 10 calories. 20-30 extra calories a day I can handle!

Vitamin water isn't good either (again, I won't put that crap in my mouth), read this, and I'm sure you'll find more if you google it.

"The Truth About Vitamin Water" - http://healthyeatingnaturally.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/the-truth-about-vitamin-water/
  • lbgano
    Options
    Doesn't sounds like anything I want to put in my mouth. Read the whole article here:
    http://www.fooducate.com/blog/2010/08/07/sobe-lifewater-0-calories/

I'm quoting partial here:
    "We randomly picked the SoBe lifewater yumberry pomegranate flavor and took a close look inside the label.

Here’s the ingredient list:

Filtered Water, Erythritol, Natural Flavor, Citric Acid, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Xanthan Gum, Calcium Lactate, Potassium Citrate, REB A (Purevia Brand), Modified Food Starch, Cochineal Extract (Color), Vitamin E Acetate, Calcium Phosphate, Gum Arabic, Ginseng Extract, Dandelion Root Extract, Calcium Pantothenate, Niacinamide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Cyanocobalamin (Vitamin B12).

For a water beverage, this product sure has lots of additives! (8 of 21 ingredients, in bold). The stevia sweetener is enhanced with Erythritol which is a sugar alcohol used in sugar free gums and other low sugar products. It is virtually calorieless but may cause bloating in some people.

The “natural flavor” is a proprietary cocktail of extracts that creates the illusion of drinking “yumberries” and pomegranates. Citric Acid adds an acidic/sour flavor too foods and beverages.

But what are modified food starch, xantham gum and gum arabic doing in this drink? These additives are used as thickeners, for example in salad dressing and ice creams. Here they provide just enough viscosity to give a richer mouth feel, as if you are drinking a rich elixir, not plain old tap water mixed with vitamins and flavors.

The reddish tinge of this drink comes from a natural, yet gross, source – cochineal extract. Basically it’s bug powder. But hey, it’s definitely better than Red #40.

All the vitamins are achievable if you eat real food.

While this drink is not going to directly add to your weight, it does condition the palate to expect a beverage to be sweet. That’s not good. If you drink it here and there, it’s probably OK, just don’t fool yourself that the vitamins here are going to make you the healthy vibrant person you could be if you eat more fruits and vegetables."

Damn. I was pretty sure it would make me the healthy and vibrant person I could be if I ate more fruits and vegetables. I'm gonna go into my emo corner now. Bubble burst.
  • summerkissed
    summerkissed Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    CONGATULATIONS!!!!!! You are one of the few that can read a nutrition label!! Give yourself a great big pat on the back!!
    and well done for questioning it! Yes you are right 1gm of carbs is = 4 calories, I wouldnt personally worry too much about it, but keep reading and questioning you will go a long way reaching your goals!!!
  • lbgano
    Options
    CONGATULATIONS!!!!!! You are one of the few that can read a nutrition label!! Give yourself a great big pat on the back!!
    and well done for questioning it! Yes you are right 1gm of carbs is = 4 calories, I wouldnt personally worry too much about it, but keep reading and questioning you will go a long way reaching your goals!!!

Thanks!
  • atomdraco
    Options

I agree. It's very important for us to read labels and ingredient. Something sounds unrealistically great, usually just a marketing pitch. Anything like that, just another process food. Try to learn drink water (with some lemon), or drink some green tea (without anything cream/sugar).

Be healthy and be happy!
  • lbgano
    Options
    I like the way it tastes and will likely keep drinking it, will just log the calories from now on. I don't think it's a magic potion or anything. Thanks for looking out, though.