Cacao nibs - ideas for recipes?

Options
Lietchi
Lietchi Posts: 6,109 Member
edited May 2020 in Food and Nutrition
I love putting a few tablespoons of cacao nibs in my breakfast (fruit and yoghurt, sometimes with puffed spelt or muesli).
Anyone else here who loves cacao nibs and has some other ideas on how to use caco nibs?
I just bought a 1kg bag of cacao nibs, so enough to do some experiments :grin:

Edit: oops, I just noticed that there is a recipe section, it would have been more appropriate posted there.

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,037 Member
    Options
    They were good as a topping on my vanilla bean ice cream with home-made miso caramel sauce, coconut chips, oven-roasted peanuts, and (of course) cacao nibs.

Probably not the kind of thing you had in mind, though. ;)
  • Lietchi
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Lol, I love ice-cream, but that recipe idea won't be being tested until a special occasion :smiley: (not to say I don't have ice-cream regularly, but usually a tub of Ben and Jerry's shared with BF, no fancy toppings to make it even more high calorie!)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,710 Member
    Options
    Chickpeas. Nut butter in mixer. Add cacao nibs. Sweetener to taste. Vola, cookie dough!
    This can be made with protein powder and other ingredients
    https://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/?s=Cookie+dough
  • Lietchi
    Options
    So it's ice cream and cookie dough for me then :smile:
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Chuck them on top of a salad - it's a bit mad but works. Something like goats cheese and beetroot that's already a bit sweet.

You can also grind them in a spice grinder and add them to a chili for a really nice deep flavour.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,037 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    So it's ice cream and cookie dough for me then :smile:

Well . . . if you want to get experimental: There are a lot of savory recipes that include chocolate or cocoa powder (for example, I put unsweetened cocoa powder in chili, sometimes other bean dishes, for extra richness). Chocolate's in various moles in Mexican food. I'd consider using nibs in anything along those lines where the crunch would be pleasant - for example, maybe some kinds of enchiladas?

It seems like nibs would be good on strawberries or cherries or something like that, maybe with some toasted almond slices? I'd consider a cherry crisp with oatmeal streusel topping that had some nibs in it for extra crunch.

I think they might be good with something like sweet potatoes, too. Or use them in muffins as a sort of cross between nuts and chocolate chips?

This is just speculation, not stuff I've made, but if I had a big bucket'o'nibs, those are some things I'd maybe experiment with. ;)