Mitigating harsh effects of running

Options
I have just recently been able to get back into running, slowly increasing endurance an speed since mid March.

I can now run about 2 miles without needing to stop and rest.

This past week I've noticed creaking in my ankles when I climb stairs. Usually it's my hips or knees that hurt. My ankles don't hurt but the sound is alarming.

A large percentage of runners I know have difficulties later in life after having been a runner for a long period of time: knee injuries and hip injuries.

Is that just the risk you take when you want to run, or is there a way to mitigate possible risk for long term joint damage?

Replies

• Nativestar56
    Nativestar56 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Well done on your running!

There's a huge number of factors that cause joint problems. It's certainly not proven that running is a high risk for joint problems later in life as far as I'm aware. In fact, being active can help reduce your chances of getting things like arthritis later in life.

That said, running is high impact and there are certain things you can do to make sure you're protecting your joints as best you can. This article in Runners World has some tips at the end to protect your joints.

I find increasing milage slowly and avoiding back-to-back running days until I've established a decent running base for a few weeks helps me avoid joint pain.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    It's a myth that running destroys your knees. Research has shown that the opposite may actually be true. That said, if your joints are bothering you, try running on softer surfaces: grass, a track, treadmill, or trails. There is less impact on the softer surfaces. I get noisy knees occasionally, when climbing stairs, but it has never meant pain, so I don't worry about it.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You may want to try a different pair of shoes. Before I started jump rope for my cardio, I used our treadmill. I hate running but I needed something. I have a ton of shoes from one brand because I get them for free. Every year I would cycle through another pair. For the longest time I was fine until I hit 3 miles. Once I would go over that my hips and knees would be aching like crazy. A couple of years back we a different company approached us and gave us a better deal and I couldn’t be happier. I quickly realized it was the shoes that were making things uncomfortable.
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Good shoes are SO important for running. Seriously, any time I’m really struggling with how my legs feel during/after a run it’s because I need new shoes. It makes a night vs day kind of difference! A lot of running stores are doing virtual gait analysis right now.

I also incorporate strength training and yoga into my routine. The yoga is especially helpful (which is why I should be more consistent!) with recovery.

And whenever I’m training for a race (so upping my mileage) I take it slow. Never increasing my weekly mileage by more than 10% week to week. It’s also important to listen to your body - don’t run through pain, take rest days, avoid overtraining
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I did just order some better shoes and try to make a point bout running on softer surfaces.

I have been increasing distance gradually so I'm on the right track there. Because I have fibromyalgia I am very cognizant of overtraining and spacing out my running days and mixing in other types of exercise. Too much stress on my body can cause a pain flare so I have been taking it slow.

Sounds like I am doing what I can.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    @Nativestar56 That article was really informative, thanks!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I rotate my shoes and then ice my heels after long runs.