Ways to eat oatmeal??

Options
Jsnbabb1
Jsnbabb1 Posts: 146 Member
How do you eat your oatmeal? Im trying to eat clean and cook things myself instead of getting it from a packet. I love the maple and brown sugar oatmeal but dont know what to add to regular plain oatmeal to make it taste good like that. What ways do you eat it?

Replies

• UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I use stevia and fruit to my oatmeal. Sometimes just cinnamon and stevia.
  • akaChuck
    akaChuck Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I get the old fashioned oats and (just recently started) cooking them on the stove. It makes them taste way better for some reason.

Some things I add to oatmeal-
    sliced banana
    spoon of peanut butter or soynut butter
    diced up apples with cinnamon
    sprinkles
    honey and almonds
    raisins
    scoop of protein powder

You can mix some of those ingredients together if you like, I do different combinations all the time!
  • Kristy144
    Options
    I buy the regular oats, (not pre-packaged) in the tub, I make it with raisins, cinnamon, brown sugar, low cal syrup, bananas.. anything I feel like putting in it. Its lower calories and more filling if you don't buy the packets!
  • homeport51
    homeport51 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I buy thick rolled oats. I cook mine in the microwave and add dried cranberries, or raisins, cinnamon. I do put a packet of raw sugar on top after they are cooked. Only 20 cal.
  • semhe
    semhe Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    with a spoon
  • Misiaxcore
    Misiaxcore Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Teaspoon brown sugar and teaspoon real maple syrup mixed with 1oz of skim milk. Now I add my protein powder instead of brown sugar.
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I ate a TON of oatmeal while I was nursing, and I mean a TON (it promotes lactation)! So I have a few ideas for you... On all these, you might need to add a touch of honey or other sweetener until you get used to it with out it...

1. Throw a handful of frozen blueberries in, then cook it like normal.
    2. Mix in cinnamon before cooking, cook like normal. While still hot add a tablespoon of natural brown sugar (remember natural sugar in moderation is clean)
    3. Mix a tablespoon of raisins and cinnamon in then cook like normal.
    4. A tsp of vanilla and some frozen (or dehydrated) chopped strawberries. Read your labels and make sure they have nothing added.
    5. I'd have to find the recipe again, but I had one where you mix in pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla.
    6. Cook a tad dyer (little less water) than normal, then pour some almond milk over it. Sweetens it and give nice contract of hot and cold.
    7. Mix in some natural maple syprup once it's cooked (moderation, duh)
    8. Tsp of vanilla and a handful of frozen chopped peaches (tastes like peaches and cream).
    9. Dried cranberries (make sure they dont have sugar, cane syrup etc added) then cook like normal.
    10. Cook a little dyer than normal, then put a fried egg on top. Sounds weird but the creaminess and richness of the egg yolk is awesome!

I'll keep thinking!
  • Birdetta
    Birdetta Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was running behind a while back so I stuck the old fashion oats in a pan added enough water to cover and let it sit for a while than when I came throw the house again turned it on low and stiring it every now and then but let it cook about 45 min it was so good allmost like cream of wheat. I like it with brown sugar, butter, salt, and milk.

Use to eat it raw with milk and dried fruit mixed in thats pretty good to.
  • EthanJeremiahsMama
    Options
    I buy Quakers "Weight Control" maple & brown sugar.. it only has 1g of sugar and it's sooo filling.

I like to add 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, one tablespoon of Flax Seed meal(great in fiber and fills you up way longer too!) and one tablespoon of organic peanut butter OR almond butter(whichever you prefer) It's so delicious.. I usually have that almost every morning and it really holds me up until lunch! :)
  • CheetoBandoto
    Options
    I buy the fresh Quaker Oats in the tub and I enjoy it with brown sugar, blue berries and a maybe a cup of Greek Yogurt! :) I tried it once with maple syrup and for whatever reason it simply didn't do it for me.
  • kent4j
    kent4j Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas!
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats are easy to mix up the night before, but I like mine warmed in the microwave for a bit.
    I love oatmeal pancakes....
    And then there is just the hot oatmeal. You can use milk or water, or almond milk. We put in a sprinkle of butter and salt while it boils, and then top with any kind of fruit and sweetener.
    You could also do a home made granola and use it as a topping for yogurt.
  • mark03264
    mark03264 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    My breakfast almost every morning is:

A serving of old fashioned oatmeal made with water (5 minutes at 50% power in the microwave)

After cooking add:
    some cinnamon
    a little milk to desired consistency
    a scoop of vanilla protein
    a quarter cup blueberries (I use Wyman's of Maine - Fresh Frozen Wild Blueberries because they are available year round)

YUMM!
  • apsmith51
    apsmith51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Steel Cut Oats cooked, then a teaspoon of margarine/butter, salt, few walnuts and craisins. I don't like my oatmeal sweet and this is wonderful...yummm....
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I eat oatmeal every morning for breakfast. I add chopped almonds, brown sugar and flax seed meal to it. I thought I'd get sick of it, but I've been eating it every day for a few years now and I still love it.
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I add steel cut oats to meatballs instead of bread crumbs.

(I hate oatmeal.)
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    I used to love making overnight oats..

1/2 cup of Thick & Rough Oatmeal
    10-12 oz Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Breeze
    21g of Chia Seeds
    Splash of Vanilla (or Coconut) Extract
    Cup of Frozen Strawberries
    Stevia

Mix it all together, pop it in the fridge, and the next morning I had a yummy breakfast with lots of texture. :)
  • auntbyte
    auntbyte Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I substitute low sugar apple cider (or juice) for the water. Adds unbelievable flavor.....................you take it from there.
  • blondski
    blondski Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have heard people talk about steel cut oats......What exactly is that? Old Fashion Oats???
  • chrishunny
    chrishunny Posts: 1,855 Member
    Options
    I make steel cut oats w/TVP and wheat berries.

1 C steel cut oats
    1/4C TVP
    2tsp vanilla extract
    2tsp cinnamon
    1/2C wheatberries
    4C water (may need more)

I put all that in a pot, bring to a boil. reduce to simmer and simmer 45 mins, stirring occasioanlly.

I then divide it into 8 small containers, put in fridge or freezer. 122 cals, 23g carbs, 2g fat, 6g protein, 3g fiber

I either reheat as is or add:

small granny smith apple chopped and cooked then heat oatmeal in the pan I cooked apple
    stevia
    little unsweetneded vanilla almond milk