Apple Watch help

Options
So I’ve had an Apple Watch for years (it’s the first Apple Watch that came out!) and its barely been used, I decided to dig it out and start using it properly to track my exercise and what not...
I’m struggling to get it to link my calorie burn with this app, I just did my workout and have a few issues with the watch and I’m looking for advice!

Started with 10m of moderate - fast pace on my indoor cycle machine (the screen no longer works so I can’t guess the calories from doing it) but I don’t think the watch fully registered that I was burning calories, only an elevated heart rate and something like 30 calories)

Then did light weights( 5kg) - 10 dumbbell curls, arm raises and hammers - 2 reps

15m of a standing cardio workout off YouTube

5m fast jog on the spot

Then for fun I just walk laps of my garden lifting weights (sounds dumb but I just walk carrying light (5kg) dumbbells from one end to the other whilst doing curls, this was for about 10m - I find it takes the focus off the weights and allows me to do more haha

So after all that, my watch tells me I’ve only exercised for 24 minutes, burning a mere 183 calories... not sure that sounds legit as I can burn practically that in a 35m moderate route I walk round where I live.

Either way - if it is correct then so be it 😅. it still won’t sync with myfitnesspal, despite me following the steps to share privacy between health and the app... so my current calorie burn on here is 0 😞
Help?

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    The only way I have found to get exercise burn calories from AW to MFP is to use workout options either on the watch itself or on another app that I have synced to AW. So you might try using the indoor cycling workout, indoor running workout, and the outdoor walk option for your laps in the garden, and there's probably a cardio option in there, too. Be aware that weights, especially the way you are using them, may raise your heart rate but do not significantly add to calorie burn.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    @Paradiddle90

You cannot sync directly between MFP & Apple watch - because Apple has always sent the wrong info to MFP to do math with.
    (supposed to send total daily calories burned - they send a sedentary base calories that almost matches MFP sedentary level, so no extra calories or not much)

The end result of incorrect figures is the more you do either extra daily activity or exercise - the more calories are not known to MFP to do math with.
    Basically totally opposite of the way it should be done - with Apple direct sync the more you do the bigger the deficit becomes. backwards.

Anyway - unlink directly.

Find in MFP Apps list Pacer free version, and sync MFP with that.
    And then in there link with Apple Health account.
    MFP app settings select Step Source as Pacer.

Now your total daily calorie burn will correctly come over to MFP to correct itself.
    Your workouts will come over and be handled correctly.

The watch is probably like others - elevated HR with increased steps means you are doing a workout - so your cycling didn't see impacts since probably on wrist gripping handle, and biking usually smooth enough to not see those impacts anyway. So even elevated HR on it's own not big calorie count.