Weightlifting I like it! Did it help with fat loss for you?

Options
Not sure about anyone else but it's been enjoyable, I like feeling stronger each day. I've heavily overweight so I cant help think what is this going to do for me but I know it's great for overall strength and abit of fat burning. Have only been at this for over a week but I'm hoping I will stick to it. Have lost 4lbs so far so I must be doing something right!? 😁

Replies

• BigMamaLynsey
    BigMamaLynsey Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I used to track food and can definitely agree with that as that helped me lose a fair bit before successfully.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    My lifts go up, and my form improves as I work. There are times I don’t think about what I eat at all aside from ensuring I hit protein goals and I know I am over aiming on calories. I keep lifting and work hard. When I cut calories that muscle gets a chance to show a bit, but only when I pay attention and track honestly. My shape did change some yes, and the obvious strength gains but fat loss comes when I control what is on my plate.

Great work and keep it up! Lifting is so fun and empowering!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Fat loss is about calories and creating a deficit. Weight lifting had the opposite effect for me: it created more hunger and a bigger appetite than the calories it burned, which made creating a deficit harder. I had to switch to alternative strength training methods to keep my sanity (and because I did not enjoy lifting at all). With that said, lifting is great for health, keep it up if you enjoy it!

Edit and a note:
    4 lbs in one is week is likely not entirely from fat. Don't be discouraged if you don't lose anything next week (or even gain some). Just keep going.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Nope. Lifting has helped me look better, it's made life easier, made me faster, and less susceptible to injury. But no fat loss. That's just down to calories.

You should definitely continue, even enjoying it is enough reason, but it does so much for you. Also while people lose weight they tend to lose muscle, and it's a use it or lose it thing.

Highly recommend checking some lifting programs out, if you haven't already. The good ones are balanced, meaning you work all your muscle groups - you've seen guys with big arms and chests on skinny chicken legs who look like the wind could knock them over, a balanced program avoids that, helps you set reasonable targets, picks good lifts, etc.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I think lifting has made me more active which does burn calories/fat. As I have became stronger, it is clear that I am putting on muscle mass. My weight hasn’t fluctuated much so I am losing body fat. The fat loss is because I am creating a deficit through increased activity. Also, the increased muscle mass just makes everything look better, smaller and more toned.
  • Grace_spaceship
    Grace_spaceship Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Lifting has allowed me to gain muscle and burn fat to a certain point, I am now focusing on losing fat which is all about the calories. Lifting is great for you especially if you enjoy it! But keep in mind it might increase your appetite which can halt weightloss. Congratulations on losing 4lbs that's awesome!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    If I may just add:
    What the others have been telling you is undoubtedly true.
    However,
    People who are active tend to be thinner than people who are not. I don't think it is a coincidence. If I spend an hour in the gym, I burn an extra 300 calories. I burn more if I go for an hour long run. Over time, that adds up.
    Will I lose weight if I do that and overeat? No, of course not. But if I, a 5'8", slightly muscular male, eat 2,000-2,500 calories a day and do that, I expect I would. Gradually, maybe. But I think I would.
    Plus, as I became invested in my workouts, and came to enjoy them, I'd have a greater incentive not to overeat, which might make me gain weight, which would make my workouts harder. And that too could make a difference if I am expending extra calories from a workout every day or every other day.
    So, does weight lifting help with weight loss? I'd have to say, yes, it can help.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The weightlifting itself doesn't burn much calories. But the improved strength and muscle is worth it. It'll also improve capability and performance in lots of cardio endeavors.. Which might make those things more doable for longer/more frequently/or at all, more enjoyable, and make you able to put out more power (ie burn more in a given time) while doing it (which may amount to a lot of calories).
  • BigMamaLynsey
    Options
    @amusedmonkey thanks and yeah I think some of that would be water weight possibly lost the first week. I track my weight daily and down another 2lbs so far. The weightlifting I am primarily using it to gain strength because I'm so weak! Lol but if it helps me to lose abit of weight at the same time I'm very happy 😁
  • BigMamaLynsey
    Options
    @Grace_spaceship thanks, it definitely is making me hungrier but it doesn't make me run to the fridge or cupboards thankfully, if I was really struggling with hunger pains I would just eat abit of fruit or have water 😁