Sleep for dinner

Options
Have you ever really been battling a craving or light hunger, so instead of giving into it you just go to bed early? I've found myself doing this lately.

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I have a toddler going to bed early isn't really an option, but if it's helping you stay in your calorie deficit that's awesome.
  • savannahs21
    savannahs21 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Yes, for me its the best way not to overeat at night.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Yeah, although usually that doesn't mean especially early, but tiredness can lead to hunger/craving for me so often having those feelings can be a sign that I need sleep anyway. Plus I like getting up early.
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    How early are we talking?
  • manyasin
    manyasin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm doing intermittent fasting and try to stop eating by 8pm. If I'm having cravings I usually brush my teeth and hide away in my room to avoid going anywhere near the kitchen. I try not to go to sleep too early though as I'll end up awake at 3am!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    No. I can't control my sleep. If I don't want to sleep I will not fall asleep no matter how long I'm in bed. I don't like eating at night, so sometimes I'm a bit hungry. I tell myself "no big deal, I will be going to bed soon anyway" and that's usually enough. Occasional hunger isn't really scary. I keep reminding myself that it's okay to be hungry sometimes. Even before weight loss I felt hungry sometimes, why would now be different?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    It depends on if it is actual hunger, or just munchy cravings. I will go to bed to avoid munchy cravings. But if I'm actually hungry, I won't sleep and have to have a filling snack.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I had kind of the opposite situation last night. My work phone rang at 2:43 AM and I was up until 5:30 working on an issue (I'm in IT). I managed to eat an unplanned 425 calories because my stomach woke up early. :disappointed:
  • therunninghalfling
    therunninghalfling Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I’m actually hungry, I can’t fall asleep. But I know by now that a snack of 100-150 cal will be enough to satisfy. If it’s easy for you to sleep in most any situation, count yourself lucky.

Well, I've been working out to exhaustion a few hours before bed, so I'm usually already nodding off a while before bedtime anyway.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I had kind of the opposite situation last night. My work phone rang at 2:43 AM and I was up until 5:30 working on an issue (I'm in IT). I managed to eat an unplanned 425 calories because my stomach woke up early. :disappointed:

You probably needed those calories. Being awake and thinking burns calories, probably more than sleeping. I would not sweat it.
  • alexmose
    alexmose Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    If I’m actually hungry, I can’t fall asleep. But I know by now that a snack of 100-150 cal will be enough to satisfy. If it’s easy for you to sleep in most any situation, count yourself lucky.

Well, I've been working out to exhaustion a few hours before bed, so I'm usually already nodding off a while before bedtime anyway.

I wait 30-45 mins or so in bed if I’m hungry. If it persists, I go for my hard boiled egg