what are the lowest calorie snacks/foods?

Options
can anyone tell me what the lowest calories snacks are? i am struggling to stay under my goal for the day. by the time i get to dinner i only have about 100-150 max.

Replies

• kkylstad
    Options
    can anyone tell me what the lowest calories snacks are? i am struggling to stay under my goal for the day. by the time i get to dinner i only have about 100-150 max.
  • throughHisstrength
    Options
    I eat a lot of apples, they're only like 55 calories and since their sweet and crunchy it helps keep me out of the chips and chocolate!! Also bananas are a great snack too, easy if you're on the go. I hope that helped a little.
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually eat things like carrots, raw beets, oranges, tangerines, and apples as snacks. I sometimes can trick my hunger with a ginger tea, chai tea, or something like that. If you don't add sugar or cream tea has 0 calories. A glass of water and brushing your teeth is another 0 calorie trick.

However, when i am in the situation you describe (150 calories left), that is when i go on a 35 minute walk to earn enough calories for a dinner!
  • garimac
    garimac Posts: 174
    Options
    I was really hungry today after my walk so I ate a whole can of progresso light soup 120 calories for the whole can, 2 cups.
    But mostly i just eat an apple or orange or banana for a snack.
    also raw veggies with light dip is good or 3 oz of shrimp cocktain.
    good luck
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, yogurt, reduced fat cheese strings...How many calories are you allowed? If it is 1200 only, try to have 300 cal meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and 100-150cal snacks in between meals. And if you exercise then you can eat more!!!! Hope this helps..
  • kkylstad
    Options
    Fruits, veggies, yogurt, reduced fat cheese strings...How many calories are you allowed? If it is 1200 only, try to have 300 cal meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and 100-150cal snacks in between meals. And if you exercise then you can eat more!!!! Hope this helps..

that does help. i am allowed 1230 cal/day. so thinking i can have 300 cal/meal really helps. what gets me is i usually have this smoothie for breakfast that is 500 calories. but i think i can lessen that.
    i also burn at least 500 calories a day. what i dont completly understand is i always eat more that i am allowed. i always burn but i guess i wont know until i start losing how this thing really works. this is only my second day on this website.
  • stizzef
    Options
    Try cutting out that 500 calorie shake - there are lots of things you could have:

Piece of fruit with yogurt = 150 cals
    Four egg whites scrambled with tomatoes, low fat cheese, onions and garlic = 150 calories
    Single serving box of Raisin Bran cereal with milk = 230 calories

And keep it up during the rest of the day! Salads for lunch (there are so many things you can do with salads, just steer clear of bacon bits, cheeses and fatty dressings) and for dinner you can do roasted chicken breast, salmon, etc with a bunch of veggies and some brown rice!
  • kkylstad
    Options
    Try cutting out that 500 calorie shake - there are lots of things you could have:

Piece of fruit with yogurt = 150 cals
    Four egg whites scrambled with tomatoes, low fat cheese, onions and garlic = 150 calories
    Single serving box of Raisin Bran cereal with milk = 230 calories

And keep it up during the rest of the day! Salads for lunch (there are so many things you can do with salads, just steer clear of bacon bits, cheeses and fatty dressings) and for dinner you can do roasted chicken breast, salmon, etc with a bunch of veggies and some brown rice!

i LOVE the egg whites breakfast you listed, that sounds good, i will have to try it.

thanks.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    veggies and fruit, I snack on a lot of celery, carrots and grape size tomatoes during the days on those hard days.
  • stizzef
    Options
    :wink:

You can buy the "Egg Beaters" stuff at the grocery store so you don't actually have to separate the eggs yourself. It comes in a carton and seems weird but its the same as the real thing. And don't forget to go easy on the cheese, even if it is low fat! You can add other stuff too, sometimes i use fresh spinach, mushrooms, peppers...be creative!
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    I found this good cereal called Archer Farms cinnamon cereal. it has 15 grams of protein in 3/4 cup which is A LOT. it also only has 180 calories in a serving. i also have half a cup of dannon all natural yogurt. high protein breakfasts help to hold you over until lunch time! it really works. another high protein/low calorie cereal is kashi go lean. i used to eat this, but i will admit, it doesn't taste very good. =) good luck!
  • kkylstad
    Options
    :wink:

You can buy the "Egg Beaters" stuff at the grocery store so you don't actually have to separate the eggs yourself. It comes in a carton and seems weird but its the same as the real thing. And don't forget to go easy on the cheese, even if it is low fat! You can add other stuff too, sometimes i use fresh spinach, mushrooms, peppers...be creative!

Thanks!:happy:
    i never thought of altering my smoothie. it has this "acai" stuff in it that i cant live without. but i just added up the calories after taking out the banana and one type of frozen fruit (i put two kinds in) and it cut the calories by 200. that just gave me some hope.:bigsmile:
  • RKJR925
    RKJR925 Posts: 254
    Options
    Detour Bars are only 170 calories and taste like a Snickers bar. They have 15 grams of protein and only 16 grams of carbs (the small ones)

www.detourbar.com
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options

that does help. i am allowed 1230 cal/day. so thinking i can have 300 cal/meal really helps. what gets me is i usually have this smoothie for breakfast that is 500 calories. but i think i can lessen that.
    i also burn at least 500 calories a day. what i dont completly understand is i always eat more that i am allowed. i always burn but i guess i wont know until i start losing how this thing really works. this is only my second day on this website.

Two servings of oatmeal is only 300 cals and pretty filling, or you can buy the lower sugar instant oatmeal for 120 a packet. Egg Beaters with lots of veggies like broccoli and peppers only adds up to around 100 cals. You could even add some turkey bacon or a slice of ham. I personally like the Kashi waffles for 170 per serving with sugar free syrup. Try Laughing Cow cheese spread on an apple instead of peanut butter. Luna nutrition bars are filling for 180 cals after a workout also. If you really need a smoothie try Dannon light and fit for 70 cals.

I always eat my 1200 cals, and then whatever I earned from exercise for the day, and I lose about 1.5 to 2 pounds average per week. If you burn 500 cals per day then keep eating 1700.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options

Two servings of oatmeal is only 300 cals and pretty filling, or you can buy the lower sugar instant oatmeal for 120 a packet. Egg Beaters with lots of veggies like broccoli and peppers only adds up to around 100 cals. You could even add some turkey bacon or a slice of ham. I personally like the Kashi waffles for 170 per serving with sugar free syrup. Try Laughing Cow cheese spread on an apple instead of peanut butter. Luna nutrition bars are filling for 180 cals after a workout also. If you really need a smoothie try Dannon light and fit for 70 cals.

I always eat my 1200 cals, and then whatever I earned from exercise for the day, and I lose about 1.5 to 2 pounds average per week. If you burn 500 cals per day then keep eating 1700. It will work.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

Some goodies that are low cal and keep me full
    Trader Joe blueberry wheat/bran muffins...only 80 cals each
    Fiber One oatmeal/chocolate granola bar: 140 cals (my splurge)
    EAS shakes...only 110 cal and filling...
    Grilled cheese...WW bread and slice cheese only 150 cals...add an egg for an extra 90 cals
    Smart popcorn...100cal bags (good amount!)
    Purdue baked chicken cutlets: 160 cals..(when I need something fast)

Good luck
    Kim
  • its time for change
    Options
    My new thing is rice cakes. I haven't had them in years and I was surprise at the different flavors they have. Peanut butter chocolate chip, it's really yummy, and I also tried the Apple Cinnamon, I liked that one too!! =)
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    I like the special K meal bars. The Peanut Butter one is my favorite, but double chocolate is good too. I get them at Sam's club (like Costco). I think they have 16 bars for $12 or so. They are 170 cal, and 10 grams of protien.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    To help with planning, I went to settings (I think) and changed the meals preset to show B, snack, L, snack, D, snack. Then I figure 100 cal per snack, 300 per meal. I do an average of 600 calories in exercise 6 days a week and use 100 calories for each of the meals, using up half of the exercise calories so each meal can now be 400 calories. For the first week I logged everything, then I evaluated and modified where I could to stay within the limits.

I discovered that corn tortillas have much less fat than ww flour, a different brand of low fat yogurt is only 60 calories, special K bliss bars are about 90 or 100, a tablespoon of peanut butter will cover as much as 2 (for half the fat and calories), a turkey sandwich made with my double fiber bread is almost half the calories of my turkey wrap (with all the fiber I need for the day), 1% milk has fewer calories than whole milk, etc. The second week it was easy for me to make small adjustments to stay right at the 1500 calories I get.

For suggestions, my daugter loves a fruit and yogurt snack, for about 150 calories.
  • healthhero
    healthhero Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    South Beach Living Snack Bar Delight - Chocolate Mint has 100 calories, 16 carbs, 5 g fiber and 5 g protein. Tastes just like a Girl Scout Thin Mint cookie. Yum! Also comes in Chocolate Rasperry.