Hurts to Workout

Options
cstil
cstil Posts: 6 Member
Hey folks,
I'm attempting to work out 2-3 times a week: walking and biking mostly, though I've started a few low-impact cardio workouts through Fitness Blender. I've read that some pain after a workout can come from micro-tears in the muscle as it stretches and changes and grows.

The issue I'm encountering is I space my workouts a day or so apart to give my muscles rest between workouts (I'm 225 with a bum right knee) but my legs still hurt when I get up to work out. They hurt climbing stairs, and even walking short distances.

Any suggestions about how to alleviate the discomfort? I know some of the pain comes from the pressure on my knees and legs due to my weight, and that I'm just getting started. I want to keep going but it is a struggle.

Thank you!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Is it an actual injury, or just sore muscles from working out (DOMS - Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness)?

If it’s just DOMS, what works best for me is moving more. A walk, yoga, or other light workout to get the muscles warmed up helps the most for me.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    If it's normal soreness and not an injury, what usually helps is to keep using the muscles lightly throughout the day, like a few bodyweight squats or climbing stairs each hour or two. Avoid staying motionless for long periods.

If you still get it, reduce your workout length and increase slowly.

Let us know how it goes. :+1:
  • Shortgirlrunning
    Shortgirlrunning Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    It really helps me to do either yoga or a stretching routine on my off days. Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube is great!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,645 Member
    Options
    Pain/tightness along the length of the muscles is more likely DOMS. Sharper pain that's more focused on some point(s), like a specific muscle attachment point, or specific joint, is a bigger concern as a possible injury, such as a strain or tear.

Beyond that (just trying to be more precise in what to look for to distinguish heavy use from injury), the advice above is good. Besides that, warm baths (Epsom salts?) or ice after workouts can help in some cases, too.
  • cstil
    cstil Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It really helps me to do either yoga or a stretching routine on my off days. Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube is great!

I *love* her videos!

Thanks, folks. And ANNPT77, the warm baths idea is really good. I'll try that next time to see if it helps.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    This situation is pretty common with people who just started as yourself and sometimes compounded if carrying more body weight depending on what you are actually experiencing.

I'm not familiar with fitness blender at all. Even if the routine you are running is labeled "low impact" doesn't mean it is appropriate for you as a individual for right now.

How long have you been doing the routine?

Are you just experiencing discomfort after or also during the routine?

Does the discomfort subside at any point during the week and when in relation to your routine?
  • sarebearr
    sarebearr Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Muscle soreness (DOMS, delayed onset muscle soreness) is very common, especially for beginners. If you are feeling sore muscles, and it's not something more serious then I would start by incorporating a good stretch before or after each workout. Drink lots and lots of water. Potassium is great for soreness as well, so on your off day perhaps snack on a banana and make sure you're getting adequate protein for recovery.

Do you have access to a foam roller? They hurt like a b*tch but really do help. If you have a particularly sore day that you just can't handle, there's no shame in taking a little ibuprofen to help you get through.
  • Curvybaja55
    Curvybaja55 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I had really bad bilateral knee pain when I first started to exercise again. When walking I used ace bandages to wrapped my knees and after the walk I used medicated patch to help with the pain and stiffness. As I lose weight the pain and stiffness decreased. I find the Fitness Blender low impact cardio workout was too much for my knees, but the stretching from Yoga was bearable. Good luck to you it gets better with time just hang in there.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    How much protein are you eating?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I tend to get really sore heels/Achilles and sometimes something in my glute, maybe the pirifirmis. I get a lot of relief from icing the sore areas right after my running.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    @cstil : If you keep at it in a few weeks you will look back and wonder why it used to be so hard!

It helps if you do some activity every single day. Many days can be quite light, meaning an easy walk, stretching, yoga, easy yard work, etc.