June 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    Just a bit of color from my yard for y'all...
    This is a wildflower. I mean I am sure a prior owner planted it, but it just grows in the woods at the edge of my property every year, so I call it a wildflower. :)

Might be peony.

jclcslh33h38.png

what do the leaves look like? kinda looks like a wild rose

i was thinking peony but i didn't know they grew wild

Oh, I am mostly sure the prior owners must have planted it. There are lots of random flowers in the edge of the woods. This probably is a peony. At least I am sure it is not a pony. :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent That flower is breathtaking!

@mbaker566 I just ordered some Tailwind last night, as it's getting warmer. I've never tried it before, but my sister really likes it. I got one of the trial packs with all the different flavors.

6/1: 1.75m
    6/2: 5.5m
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    6-1 7k moderate
    6-2 7k moderate

June Total: 14k
    June Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k
    March Total: 181k
    April Total: 191k
    May Total: 200k

2020 Total through May: 900k

Cloudy and low 60s F today. Legs actually felt good for the first k or so; then back to normal niggly.

When you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020k in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:

6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
    9-19 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson, OH
    10-11 Haunted Hustle 5k, Aurora, OH
  • nicoylehoyle
    nicoylehoyle Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    06/01/20 :::: 4.8 :::: 4.8
  • PastorVincent
    Options

@mbaker566 I just ordered some Tailwind last night, as it's getting warmer. I've never tried it before, but my sister really likes it. I got one of the trial packs with all the different flavors.

Thanks!

Tailwind is very well-reviewed. I know ultrarunners that drink only Tailwind for their entire run. I used it myself for a while, but I do not think it sat well in my stomach so I am trying a competing product called Skratch.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

Thanks!

Tailwind is very well-reviewed. I know ultrarunners that drink only Tailwind for their entire run. I used it myself for a while, but I do not think it sat well in my stomach so I am trying a competing product called Skratch.

i preferred skratch but willing to try tailwind again
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Skratch is the other one that I want to try. I've never done anything but gels on a run and am looking forward to branching out.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,024 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I like that challenge. I'm sure the heat and your knee contributed to your slower pace. But, at least you KNOW that you can improve on that in an month. Sorry about the curfew, but it sounds like it is necessary. Also sorry about the two doofuses who are causing problems.
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Mentioned this in the May thread... I'm aiming for 60 miles in June, to include a half marathon virtual race I registered for. We're in full onset of summer here in central Florida, so getting out early will be key... and proper hydration, something I've been letting slip.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Thanks!

i preferred skratch but willing to try tailwind again
    @PastorVincent Skratch is the other one that I want to try. I've never done anything but gels on a run and am looking forward to branching out.

The jury is still out on skratch for me right now. Need to do more long runs with it but last month or so days have been rough schedule wise. So far I like it, but we will see.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,024 Member
    Options
    Quarantine workout level up? Erf! Or maybe just a sign coach is working me too hard LOL
    ysiodocgrhef.jpg

Hahaha You're coach needs to back off a bit!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,003 Member
    Options
    June Goal: 100 Miles

6/2: 6.55 miles

6.55/100 miles completed for May

569.76/1000 miles for Run the Year Team Pavement Pounders

Today's run was 6.55 miles. It was a pretty good run, just hot and humid. It was 68°F at 5:50 am and 100% humidity and dew point of 68°. The first couple of miles felt like a struggle, but once I got going it was pretty good and I managed an average pace of 10:26 so I was happy with that. It was another run without my Garmin so I had to track it with Strava. I missed my watch more this morning than I did on Sunday since I had to work today and more than pace I like to keep track of the time. Hopefully it won't take too much longer to get my Garmin back.

I have a question for the group. My second toes are longer than my big toes and I have developed black toenails on both of them. I have had a couple of black toenails since I started running, but they have both come after I stubbed my toe (once on a dog crate and once on a space heater) and those toes bruised when I stubbed them so even though the running might not have helped, it didn't cause the black nail and neither of those times were on my second toe. I got new shoes recently and they are the same shoes I have been wearing so I wouldn't think that was the problem. I usually run 4 days a week and most of my weekday runs are at least 5 miles and usually 6 miles and Sundays I run around 10 miles. But I've been running that distance for a while so it isn't like I recently ramped it up. It seems like someone (maybe @rheddmobile) mentioned some toe covers once. Would something like that help? Or do I need to try different lacing techniques. Or does having a longer second toe just make me more likely to get black toenails? Also, is it bad to cover them with nail polish?

exercise.png

2020 races:
    11/7/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    You are all amazing! Thank you so much for your kind words - yes @shanaber I am SO relieved! I wasn't sure if I'd be back to work today or not since he was still not 100% yesterday, but this morning he said he felt basically normal, so I'm guessing it was just normal, icky, growing kid, hot as heck outside, kid stuff? I really do not know.

So back at work today and it feels good to feel normal!

@Avidkeo I think you are smart to do the half - one thing I have learned and am still learning is that I keep pushing too hard and that's why I'm always in some sort of pain. That's not good. Don't be like me.

@PastorVincent that flower is gorgeous! Also - those resistance bands are awesome. I have some bands I use religiously for PT and they have seemed to really help that process.

@hamsterwheel6 Yes! Hopefully I can run soon and feel like a normal person!

So for this Summer Binge (via aravaipa running) = it's 110 miles in 10 days, the mileage increases cumulatively. Is that an ultra?

RE: Hats. I have no idea. There's a runner who I really admire - Sally McRae - she wears trucker hats all the time. I bought the trucker hat when I signed up for the Summer Binge. And then also a new Sia song dropped and I bought the hat for myself and a shirt for my daughter. I'll let you know what I think of hats soon enough, lol. I usually run with just a headband, messy bun, and prescription sunglasses....

Also - I have never tried Scratch. I use Maurten. I'll use the caffeinated gel after the first three-five miles, then again another three-five miles later, then towards the end of the run I'll use the non-caffeinated gel. They are expensive, though - so I am thinking I may need to use something a little more cost effective. Please do let me know what you think of Skratch, @pastorvincent! The draw to Maurten is that you don't have to drink water with them for absorption, so I don't carry water, because I like things to be as minimal as possible when I run. Plus, there are water fountains along the paths and trails where I go.

Anyway, that's my update. That, and there's a mouse in my office and I have been standing on my desk or in my chair multiple times. Let me be clear - I am not AFRAID of the mouse - I just don't want him (Fred) to crawl up my legs or in my shirt because that's a huge violation, okay?
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Thanks!

I love Tailwind, started using it about three years ago on advice of a triathlete friend of mine. Love all the flavors, nothing too sweet or bitter, and never had any issues on the run or bike. I order it from Runningwarehouse.com (which is where I order most of my running-related stuff - 3-day free shipping and their blog is pretty good).