Confused about it all

Options
I apologise first off this is going to be a long post.

I am 44 now and just over 18 stone and I began a weight loss journey almost 15 years ago at 13 stone!!! Since then I have tried (half tried) Slimming World, Weight Watchers, MFP and more recently I joined TEAMRH fitness. I was 16 stone 5 when i joined. I was given a calorie goal of 2500 per day. Anyway, clearly that didn't work and I'm left now wondering what on earth I should do.
Obviously I want to lose weight. I have a few health conditions that do make an impact on how much energy I have on any given day (Hypothyroidism, various anaemias, CFS and Fibromyalgia) I also struggle with binge eating. I have no off switch.
I guess what I'm asking is can you help me. I have really lost my way and I no longer know what I should be doing. I am trapped inside a huge body and desperately unhappy. I just don't know how to change it anymore. What should I be doing can you help me?

Replies

• flo_soup76
    flo_soup76 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was hitting it, I think that's where the additional weight has come from? Or maybe I am deluding myself
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,394 Member
    Options
    Have you used a kitchen scale over a longer period of time and weighted everything you ate? Also made sure the database entries you used were correct? If you're uncertain maybe you can open up your diary and we will have a look and comment on how you're doing <3
  • flo_soup76
    Options
    I do weight everything. I dont know what i should be eating.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    flo_soup76 wrote: »

As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. If you are wanting food ideas that might help some of your health issues that be a question for your doctor. Since you mentioned struggling with binge eating have you considered talking with a therapist, or a registered dietian?
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK?
    If so, I would suggest booking a double appt with your GP to discuss:
    Are you adequately medicated for your hypothyroidism?
    Are the anaemias a past or current problem, do they require medication? eg ferritin, folate, B12? or a more complex picture requiring haematologist input
    What support and information can they give regarding weight loss? Is there a dietician service they can refer you to? Do you need counselling and/or medication to address emotional or mental health issues?

I think it's absolutely brilliant you want to make changes but there are aspects of your situation that mean at a least a medical consultation regarding your health issues would be valuable.

• yirara
    Options
    One thing: Forgot what I wrote about finding groups for medical conditions via facebook. There's an awful lot of quackery out there, and many are not UK focussed. Healthunlocked might be the best website at the moment as it's fairly anti-quack, and there are some properly educated people there.
  • holly8312
    holly8312 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was given a calorie goal of 2500 per day.

How tall are you? If very short, 2500 calories per day could be a little high for you, even at a higher weight.

• flo_soup76
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »

As long as you are in a calorie deficit you will lose weight. If you are wanting food ideas that might help some of your health issues that be a question for your doctor. Since you mentioned struggling with binge eating have you considered talking with a therapist, or a registered dietian?

I have attended one for a year who told me to stop dieting. :(
  • flo_soup76
    Options
    holly8312 wrote: »
    I was given a calorie goal of 2500 per day.

How tall are you? If very short, 2500 calories per day could be a little high for you, even at a higher weight.

5 foot 4
  • flo_soup76
    Options
    Are you in the UK?
    Are the anaemias a past or current problem, do they require medication? eg ferritin, folate, B12? or a more complex picture requiring haematologist input
    What support and information can they give regarding weight loss? Is there a dietician service they can refer you to? Do you need counselling and/or medication to address emotional or mental health issues?

I think it's absolutely brilliant you want to make changes but there are aspects of your situation that mean at a least a medical consultation regarding your health issues would be valuable.

No support at all from GP. I am medicated but have still ongoing issues. Regularly have injections and meds for b12, folic acid and iron. Had counselling for the binge eating, their response was to stop dieting. I am trapped inside this body :( and I dont seem to be able to do anything. I have a terrible relationship with food, in fact I despise it. Meal planning usually draws blanks.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK?

No support at all from GP. I am medicated but have still ongoing issues. Regularly have injections and meds for b12, folic acid and iron. Had counselling for the binge eating, their response was to stop dieting. I am trapped inside this body :( and I dont seem to be able to do anything. I have a terrible relationship with food, in fact I despise it. Meal planning usually draws blanks.

There are therapists who are qualified and willing to work with ED patients who have weight loss as a goal. I think it would be worth locating one. When it comes to therapy, goals should be created together by patient and therapist. It shouldn't be a situation where you feel like you feel obligated to accept a single therapist's opinion of what the best option for you is. You're allowed to have input. It's your life.
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Are you in the UK?

I'm sorry that you aren't getting support from your doctor, or from the counselor you saw. Horrible advice to simply tell you to stop dieting. Is there anyway you can talk with someone else, or at least meet with a registered dietian?
  • yirara
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Treatment for things such as thyroid, iron and B12 deficiency is ridiculously bad in the UK. Suffering from all three I know this too well (I live elsewhere now). I usually got what I wanted, but I've never been so sick that I could not fight for myself. But that's why I suggested joining a patient group online. They might have some advice for you.

Ok, so you are 5.4 feet, that's 164cm? Weight is around 110kg? then I get maintenance calories of around 2200 calories per day provided you're sedentary. 2500 calories per day would see you gain weight in that case. Can you explain where the 2500 comes from? Is this from MFP or somewhere else?

If I got it wrong: Maybe your therapist isn't quite so wrong. Eat at maintenance for a while and use the settings that MFP gives you. Make sure you're weighing everything that has calories on a digital scale and make sure you chose correct database entries. When you cook food then log all separate ingredients. See how you feel with that and if you can keep those binges under control. If you binge just accept it, and also log what you binge. If this works for a while then set yourself a very moderate weightloss goal. Start with the lowest you can set MFP to. Yes, weight loss will be slow, but you know what: losing slower is better than trying too much and gaining it all back, and then some. Slow and steady, and building a healthy relationship with food is more important than to lose all the weight now.
  • vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am 5'3" and just personal experience, I would gain on 2500 calories/day.

I like to eat simple, no in depth planning or fixing so I eat a lot of raw veggies and fruit, salad out of a bag with a balsamic vinegar, very little to no bread and don't use boxed meal preps.

For protein I eat poached eggs, Greek yogurt, chicken, lean ground turkey, lean ground beef and oven fried fish.

I don't use added salt or sugar. I drink black coffee in the morning and water for the rest of the day.

It took some getting used to but it's just so easy now. Anyway, just a simple idea for you to find a starting point.

• vggb
    vggb Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    oh and I don't eat dairy anymore, doctor thing.
  • emmabrookes1
    emmabrookes1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    it seems you could maybe benefit from constructing a list of breakfasts, lunches and dinners that fit into your daily cal count. This avoids having to think about the cals on a daily basis, do the weighing and adding etc.
    Eg out of 2200 daily calories you could have 6-700 cals per meal (or divide up however you wish eg smaller meals leaving some cals for snacks)
    You could do this just as a planning exercise and potentially have a very small repeating rotation of dishes if that helps. This would mean you wouldn't have to count things every day and could help you feel less like you're 'on a diet' and feel deprived. you could tell yourself it's just a new schedule, a new routine, nothing to stress about.
    You could use ready meals + microwave veg/bagged salad; beans on toast + yoghurt + banana; don't feel that you're condemned to failure because you're not feeling inspired about food right now.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    OP - When that eating goal was given to you, did you tell them you planned on doing some level of weekly exercise?

Did you do the amount you told them you planned on doing?

Almost all other methods of weight control use TDEE weekly estimates averaged out daily - so exercise would have been included.

The problem as many discover there that if the workouts aren't done - you don't lose weight, or it's much slower than you thought and people wonder why because they don't understand the whole concept.

That's why MFP doesn't include exercise until actually done - teaching a better life lesson about weight management.
    You do more you eat more. You do less you eat less.

So to briscogun's point that they probably were attempting maintenance first - if you didn't do the workouts you'd actually gain weight.

I'll add too that many with underlying medical conditions already have a stressed body - and a diet to some degree is an extra stress on the body depending on how big a deficit you attempt to make it. More stress not good.
    What other people with average healthy bodies can find as a reasonable deficit for weight loss will not be the case for you. You'll have to go slower for the loss.
    Which means less margin for error when it comes time to diet for weight loss again.

ETA:
    Looking at the program you joined that gave you the 2500 - I'll bet it was TDEE method.
    And they gave you a workout plan since they appear to be trainers.
    So they expected certain amount of exercise - did you do that much?

https://teamrhfitness.com/

How long were you doing that before you decided it wasn't working - your timeline info is lacking.

ETA2:
    Your stats in TDEE calc with 5 hours of exercise a week (not unreasonable) and 500 cal deficit would give a 2500 eating goal.

Fail the exercise and there is your 500 surplus for weight gain.
    Several ways this goes that 2500 was reasonable on info they were given.