Create "Fresh Strawberry Pie" recipe from the description?

kshama2001
kshama2001 Posts: 27,883 Member
Here is a description of a strawberry pie, but the recipe instructions and proportions are behind a paywall: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/29/dining/strawberry-pie-recipe.html

29COOKING-STRAWBERRYPIE1-jumbo.jpg
This one starts with an easy, press-in cookie crust. Using store-bought shortbread minimizes the amount of time the oven has to be on in the summer, and the buttery cookies create a pairing reminiscent of strawberry shortcake. Keep in mind that some brands of shortbread have more sugar than others and may require a little less sweetener in the crust mixture. Graham crackers or chocolate wafers would be nice, too.

Inside is simply a mixture of fresh, quartered strawberries and a quick jam of cooked strawberries, strawberry preserves and cornstarch. Some recipes rely on strawberry gelatin to hold it all together, but, here, real strawberry is the star: The preserves help bind the filling, while adding even more fruit flavor. A quarter-cup of cornstarch may seem like a lot, but you’ll need it with those height-of-season gushers to ensure that the final dessert is sliceable. (Deep-dish fruit pies made with strawberries may taste good, but they can cascade like a burst dam when sliced.)

Challenging people to come up with the recipe! Paging @AnnPT77 cuz I think she's up for the challenge ;)

I have from-scratch and from-graham crackers shortbread crust recipes in my Joy of Cooking, so where I'm stuck is the proportions of the strawberry preserves, and fresh and cooked strawberries, and how long to cook the strawberries, and how long to cook the pie.

I did look for that recipe elsewhere, and came up empty, however, I did find this no-bake fruit pie which looks tempting, despite being devoid of strawberries, lol: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/18163/fresh-fruit-salad-pie/

Replies

• SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Ha! This sounds like a challenge that would be on The Great British Baking Show!
    I hope you figure it out, it looks delicious!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Taste of Home has several recipes for this pie. There's a Jello version too (not tried it). I do Lemurcat2's version, minus the strawberry preserves. Hoping my strawberries pan out this year!
  • kshama2001
    edited May 2020
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I can see the recipe. 10 servings, 396 cals.

Crust is shortbread cookies, sugar, flour, butter, bit of salt.

Filling is strawberries (2.5 lb), sugar, strawberry preserves (3 TBSP), cornstarch, bit of salt, bit of lemon juice.

Bring strawberry mixture (everything in filling) to boil and let cook another 2 min, stirring.

Topping is cold heavy cream, vanilla, confectioners sugar.

Thanks @lemurcat2! Couple of Qs:

1. How much sugar?
    2. Is the pie baked? What temp? How long? Or is just the crust baked? If so, same Qs.
  • kshama2001
    TeaBea wrote: »
    Taste of Home has several recipes for this pie. There's a Jello version too (not tried it). I do Lemurcat2's version, minus the strawberry preserves. Hoping my strawberries pan out this year!

Ya, my strawberries were not great last year so I did a few things differently this year - I thinned them out, moving some to a new bed and giving some away, and I've been watering, something I don't usually start until July when it is hotter, but it has been very dry here the past few weeks.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    I can see the recipe. 10 servings, 396 cals.

Crust is shortbread cookies, sugar, flour, butter, bit of salt.

Filling is strawberries (2.5 lb), sugar, strawberry preserves (3 TBSP), cornstarch, bit of salt, bit of lemon juice.

Bring strawberry mixture (everything in filling) to boil and let cook another 2 min, stirring.

Topping is cold heavy cream, vanilla, confectioners sugar.

Thanks @lemurcat2! Couple of Qs:

1. How much sugar?

3 TBSP in the crust, 1/3 cup in the filling, and 1 TBSP confectioners in the topping.
    2. Is the pie baked? What temp? How long? Or is just the crust baked? If so, same Qs.

The pie as a whole is not baked. The crust is baked at 350 for 15-20 mins, the filling is boiled and added, and then it is refrigerated for 4+ hours.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,953 Member
    Just in to say, as someone tagged, that I'm glad others came through.

I would've had no clue, except for vague arm-waving about cornstarch. I don't think I've ever made strawberry pie, or anything like it (the separate-filling-with-cornstarch kind of model). I don't even think I've ever even made a cream pie, though I don't remember for sure (and if you stand back far enough & squint, cream pies are usually some kind of variation on pudding (maybe lightened, air-wise not richnesswise), and I've made pudding from scratch a bunch of times). (Hmmm, pudding . . . . ;) ). I don't much even ever make cornstarch-based sauces or glazes.

Enjoy your pie! :yum:
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    If you can find McVities Digestive biscuits, they make an amazing crumb crust for pie or cheesecake.
  • kshama2001
    Thanks all!
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Let us know how the pie comes out!