I'm 64 years old, have a very sedentary job and need to lose 80 lbs

Options
katandjak
katandjak Posts: 5 Member
edited June 2020 in Introduce Yourself
I'm a 64 year old lady. I work in customer support and am a painter as well. A lot of sitting down in front of the computer, or an easel. I was recently laid off at work due to covid 19, and have some time to concentrate on my health and get started on losing the excess 80 pounds I have managed to accumulate over the years. I am hoping logging my food and connecting with others will help me do it. My downfall is my husband and Iove to eat french fried together, It sounds so silly, but if there is one off the wagon thing we do it's go down to the waterfront and order fish and chips or hamburger and chips. Or go to Whole Foods and buy their frozen french fries.

Replies

• astod4
    astod4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I’m a physical therapy student and in one of my classes I am learning about similar situations to you. With your age and weight loss goal, I would initially encourage you to speak with your doctor about weight loss and get clearance to progress. That will help determine your health risks before really getting into it. Second, the best way would begin with 30 minutes of physical activity 5 days per week. That could be as simple as walking for 10 minutes 3 times a day, or doing it all in one single session. The next thing I would suggest is dialing in your nutrition to eliminate more fried foods in your diet. Good luck!
  • YellowD0gs
    YellowD0gs Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I'm 56, also with a sedentary job, but my hobbies are a bit more active. I've lost over 40 pounds following the routine astod described. Took a year, but much of that was learning a new diet and exercise routine and making them part of my daily life. That was the hard part, losing the weight was easy. You can do this! And don't worry, your french fries are part of the diet around here.
  • katandjak
    katandjak Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much you guys. That is very encouraging. I went for a great walk today, and will do so again tomorrow. Also stayed within my calorie allotment and still had a few fries. :)