drinking lots of water over diet soda

Pickle107
Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
I read a lot that you should be drinking lots of water daily, say 2 litres plus. I admit to a diet fizzy juice addiction. While there are debatable cons to drinking diet soda which I'm aware of, what are the benefits of drinking an equal amount of plain water?

I'm guessing just drinking plenty of liquids fills you up, helping you feel full? However, are there any other benefits plain tap water (I'm in Scotland so it's quite nice and soft) gives over fizzy juice or tea (which has calories in the milk, if you take it)?

I've read about it 'flushing out toxins' but that's sounds a bit like dodgy science. Is it?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited June 2020
    One isn’t better, or worse, (except water has zero calories) than the other. Hydration comes from foods as well as liquids. ccrdragon is correct about urine color as a means of determining proper hydration.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited June 2020
    @HeidiCooksSupper Me, too. My family tells me I'm hooked on naturally essenced sparkling waters. Actually, they say I'm addicted and I say, Oooo, just shut the hail UP and leave me alone. The teeth and gums thing at the dentist, ayup. Heidi, I always have one going with my morning coffee. I swill espressos and fruity flavored sparkling waters at the same time. I'm double-fisted drinker. I like to stretch out all my kombucha drinks with a sparkling water, makes them go twice as far and it's very good.
  • mullanphylane
    mullanphylane Posts: 172 Member
    I suppose one should consider what is in the drink before consuming.
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    I suppose one should consider what is in the drink before consuming.

Yeh, that was my concern when I gave up Diet Coke. I inhaled that stuff morning, noon, and night. When I started going to my new dentist, one of his questions was 'do you drink soda'? He told me, 'you've got to give it up; the phosphorus is bad on the teeth'. Took me a couple tries but give it up I did. When dh moved back in a year ago, he brought with him his Diet Coke habit. :( ATM, he has about 10 6-packs in the basement stocked up. I have fought my old habit hard just to pop a soda and start it all over again. Now, if I could cut out added sugar.............

Plain old water keeps our body's systems working fine without the added chemicals and cost. I was definitely hooked on the bubbles but now it's 2 cups of coffee and the rest of the day I have water. I've tried keeping to the recommended 8 glasses a day but just don't get that much. I figure my foods provide the rest.
  • Pickle107
    Pickle107 Posts: 153 Member
    Do you know, I'm feeling very reassured about the diet soda drinking having heard all this. But I'm going to try and cut back- make myself drink 1 water for 1 soda. It's reminded me about tooth staining. Touch wood, my dentist hasn't mentioned anything else in all these years. The main case against the fizzy stuff is the price. I guess I average at least £1-£1.50 a day worth. That's an eye-watering amount over a year for a bad habit...