Portabella Mushrooms on Whole Grain Toast

Options
I am a big lover of mushrooms. I don't care much for them raw but when they're cooked I love their texture and flavor. Its almost meaty. One afternoon it was around lunch time and I found myself pretty damn hungry! There really wasn't that much in the fridge or cabinets for something simple like a sandwich, nor was there anything to cook! However, there was a pack of two massive portobellos and half a loaf of whole grain bread, so I got creative and got these ingredients together.

(These measurements are very loose as I just kind of did what I felt like :P)
2 Portobello Mushrooms
2 Slices Whole Grain Bread
Tablespoon of Butter
2 Teaspoons Canola Oil
Garlic Powder
Oregano
Ground or shredded Parmesan Cheese

I washed the portobellos thoroughly and coated them lightly with canola oil to get some of those good monounsaturated fats, as well as to let it soak into the 'shrooms to get em nice and tender and juicy as well as to make my seasonings stick. I then coated my mushrooms lightly with the garlic powder and oregano and stuck them in my toaster oven on 350F for probably 10 to 15 minutes, if even. Once those were cooked nice and evenly I removed them and dumped any excess juices. I then toasted my bread and spread it lightly with butter, not too much, just enough so the toast didn't feel dry. Placing the mushrooms on the toast, I decorated my creations with parmesan and enjoyed immensely! :D

How does this sound to you guys? Have any recommendations or any tasty sounding alterations?

Replies

• Hfxgal
    Options
    sounds awesome! I LOVE mushrooms
  • olpbabe
    Options
    Yum!!!
  • Yes~Yes~Yes...that sounds gooood!!! I love mushrooms :-P
  • cre8freedom
    cre8freedom Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    That sounds great! I loved stuffed Portabella too - I wonder if you could cube the bread, toss it with your oil and spices, stuff it into the portabella and sprinkle cheese on top and bake... I wish I could eat more cheese, I would maybe use feta instead and mozzarella
  • Monica_has_a_goal
    Monica_has_a_goal Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I am a big lover of mushrooms. I don't care much for them raw but when they're cooked I love their texture and flavor. Its almost meaty. One afternoon it was around lunch time and I found myself pretty damn hungry! There really wasn't that much in the fridge or cabinets for something simple like a sandwich, nor was there anything to cook! However, there was a pack of two massive portobellos and half a loaf of whole grain bread, so I got creative and got these ingredients together.

(These measurements are very loose as I just kind of did what I felt like :P)
    2 Portobello Mushrooms
    2 Slices Whole Grain Bread
    Tablespoon of Butter
    2 Teaspoons Canola Oil
    Garlic Powder
    Oregano
    Ground or shredded Parmesan Cheese

I washed the portobellos thoroughly and coated them lightly with canola oil to get some of those good monounsaturated fats, as well as to let it soak into the 'shrooms to get em nice and tender and juicy as well as to make my seasonings stick. I then coated my mushrooms lightly with the garlic powder and oregano and stuck them in my toaster oven on 350F for probably 10 to 15 minutes, if even. Once those were cooked nice and evenly I removed them and dumped any excess juices. I then toasted my bread and spread it lightly with butter, not too much, just enough so the toast didn't feel dry. Placing the mushrooms on the toast, I decorated my creations with parmesan and enjoyed immensely! :D

How does this sound to you guys? Have any recommendations or any tasty sounding alterations?

Love the idea but I think I'll either add. Sun dried tomatoes or Pizza sauce to give it a kick! :tongue:
  • CheetoBandoto
    Options
    That sounds great! I loved stuffed Portabella too - I wonder if you could cube the bread, toss it with your oil and spices, stuff it into the portabella and sprinkle cheese on top and bake... I wish I could eat more cheese, I would maybe use feta instead and mozzarella

That sounds pretty damn awesome! Ooh and fresh mozzarella sounds waaaaay better. :P
  • sunshinethompson
    sunshinethompson Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Nice!!! Sounds awesome!!!