Accurately tracking calorie intake - what next ?

Options
Hi All, so I decided to accurately track my calorie intake and invest in MyFitnessPal, I mean I even went down to measuring the seasoning I add to food to that minute detail. I am 99% confident on the food I consumed this week.

My goal was to to loose 1kg a weight a week and with all my details MyFitnessPal recommended a calorie intake of 2200.

I was mainly below that figure on a daily basis as wasn’t always hungry and My average calorie intake for the week was 1736 calories and a weight loss of 0.7kg. I didn’t even include my excercise (mainly HITT) training.

So my question is do I adjust my calorie intake to be my actually recorded average data of 1736 calories or is the reason I never hit 1kg goal due to not eating enough as recommend by my fitnesses
And the body goes into a bit of starvation mode?

Dont me wrong I am very happy with the progress on this journey 😊. Just also really interested in the science and data, and others experience with this.

I am male, 113kg, 5,10 and according to various readings I should be eating greater than >2800 calories.

Replies

• lexabeep
    lexabeep Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing I have learned in the last five years about weight loss it is all about my least favorite subject in school:Math. There are tons of online sources to help you figure out your BMR. Once you know this it can help you figure out a better number as to how many calories you are truly burning in a week. I think people really over estimate how active they are. And even more so now that everyone has been stuck inside. I know in order to loss one lb a week you need to be in Calorie deficit of right around 3500 per week. So you would need to be in a calorie deficit of about 7000 a week to loose slightly less then 1 kg( that’s about two lbs) By your own calculations you are in deficit of 4200 each week. It seems to me like your weight loss so far is going great.
    I will tell you that in 2015 and this time around eating back ‘work out’ calories doesn’t help me at all. It causes me to not loose anything. I truly believe that MyFitnessPal greatly overestimated calories burned in workouts for me. I’ve had a trainer and nationalist say the same. Good luck and I hope my limited math skills help!
  • Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Nothing to add that's not been said already. Just agreeing and adding that time and patience will be your friend. Read the scale fluctuations article it's really helpful.
  • ChrisLaJohn
    ChrisLaJohn Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks both, hmmm interesting

So key Takeaway

1. Get more dataset minimum a month

2. Don’t reduce calorie. Intake but get closer to the recommenced of 2200

Point 2 is what I am a bit more anxious to do. I am weary of increasing calorie closer as don’t fully know the benefit of doing so as you mentioned sijomial starvation mode is a myth.

I read the article Lietchi which if I interpreted correctly my actual weight loss could be for example 0.7kg +\- 0.3kg depending on other factors.

Also to that point why I don’t want to out eat more close to the calorie recommended by mfp as if my actual weight is on the higher end then I am in essence overeating.

So agree with both that I should carry on logging review intensively after a month but for now not make any major changing just monitor that fluctuations are not too wild.
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Also, just to add, 1kg a week is fairly ambitious for your stats, 0.7-0.8 would be good going but expect that to slow as your weight drops.
  • ChrisLaJohn
    Options
    That’s triggers and interesting point CM_73, so as your weight then drops weekly one should re-adjust the calorie intake goal with the new weight....
  • CM_73
    CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    In theory, but as your weight gets lower, the deficit required to maintain that weight loss becomes too low to be sustainable or healthy.
    I'm sure MFP recalculates your calorie goals as your weight changes anyway, just enjoy the hay days of fairly rapid number dropping to start with whilst they last!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    CM_73 wrote: »
    I'm sure MFP recalculates your calorie goals as your weight changes anyway, just enjoy the hay days of fairly rapid number dropping to start with whilst they last!

It's never been automatic for me. I need to re-confirm my weight loss settings to get an updated calorie goal, toch I do every 5 lbs or so.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,077 Member
    Options
    Thanks both, hmmm interesting

So key Takeaway

1. Get more dataset minimum a month

2. Don’t reduce calorie. Intake but get closer to the recommenced of 2200

Point 2 is what I am a bit more anxious to do. I am weary of increasing calorie closer as don’t fully know the benefit of doing so as you mentioned sijomial starvation mode is a myth.

The benefit of getting a sensible minimum of calories (not trying to lose weight too fast) is that it (1) reduces the risk of bad health consequences that can occur due to persistent undereating, (2) helps maintain your energy level in ways both subtle and profound so doesn't let fatigue sap calorie burn out of your daily life, and (3) gives you a better chance of actually sticking with the process long enough to lose weight.

To lose any really meaningful amount of weight is a long term proposition, months to years. So, you need a process that will stay workable that long - that's just being realistic.

A really common scenario is to start off trying to lose weight as fast as possible, white-knuckling it more as time goes on, and then when over-deprivation kicks in, succumbing to over-eating. Usually, averaging a half kg a week loss for 52 weeks will give better results than lose 4 kg in a month, give up and overeat for a week or two and gain back 2kg, back on course for week, fail out again . . . for a year.
    I read the article Lietchi which if I interpreted correctly my actual weight loss could be for example 0.7kg +\- 0.3kg depending on other factors.

Your actual fat weight loss could be anything. You don't know, numerically, especially in your first week, especially when adding exercise at the same time. I'm a fairly small li'l ol' lady, like 59kg, and my scale weight will bounce around by a kg or more overnight sometimes, without any actual change in my underlying fat levels. You could've lost 0 kg of fat if you happened to be at a high water-weight point on the first weigh-in (though that's unlikely), or you could have lost multiple kg of fat after a starting weight that was low-water-retention and adding exercise so that multiple kg of water are hiding fat loss. There's no sure way to know, based on one week.

Stick with it for a month, you'll have a better idea.
    Also to that point why I don’t want to out eat more close to the calorie recommended by mfp as if my actual weight is on the higher end then I am in essence overeating.

Huh? If your actual weight is currently high, you burn more calories than a lighter person. If you set your MFP profile up correctly (accurate activity level based on your life without considering exercise, right age/weight/etc.) and told it you wanted to lose weight at X kg per week, it's already built your weight loss into the goal it estimates for you. Can that estimate be incorrect? It's close for most people, but yes, it can be incorrect. It can be overestimated, or underestimated. (MFP dramatically underestimates my calorie needs. Until I figured that out - nearly 5 years ago now - I underate accidentally, even while eating what it said and eating back all exercise, and got weak and fatigued. That's very rare, but it can happen. No one wants that.)
    So agree with both that I should carry on logging review intensively after a month but for now not make any major changing just monitor that fluctuations are not too wild.

Eat close to your MFP-generated calorie goal, if you did the set-up honestly and correctly, and monitor for a month. The only fluctuation to worry about is if you seem to be losing too fast, and simultaneously start feeling tired or weak. That would be a sign you should eat more. Otherwise, just stick to the goal given for a month. Then you'll have a better idea what adjustment to make.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Re a point made above, I also don't think MFP automatically adjusts your calories. Roughly every 5kg lost, go back in to the Guided Setup and re-Save so that it recalculates your calories. It won't change by a lot, but it'll change. Also, as you get to closer to goal (about 20kg to lose and then 10kg to lose), you should reduce your rate of weight loss.

Eat what MFP tells you to eat - and log / eat about 75% of your exercise calories on top of that. Your body will thank you for it in the long term.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,111 Member
    Options
    Eat what MFP tells you to eat - and log / eat about 75% of your exercise calories on top of that. Your body will thank you for it in the long term.

Eating back those 75% of exercise calories is only step one of two steps. The second step is monitoring his weight and eating back less or more of his exercise calories, depending on if the weight loss is quicker or slower than intended.
  • ChrisLaJohn
    Options
    This is first time I’ve actually logged calories to this detail and I want to use the data to drive decision making. I understand as most have stated I will hit plateau and a feeling of tiredness in coming weeks but for now feel fine and energy levels good to train. I don’t just want to eat because MFP says hit this goal but tap into that reserve when feeling tired or starting to see a decrease in progress and training.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    This is first time I’ve actually logged calories to this detail and I want to use the data to drive decision making. I understand as most have stated I will hit plateau and a feeling of tiredness in coming weeks but for now feel fine and energy levels good to train. I don’t just want to eat because MFP says hit this goal but tap into that reserve when feeling tired or starting to see a decrease in progress and training.

If you persistently undereat, and become fatigued as a result, it isn't necessarily the case that you just eat more the next day and poof, everything's fine again.

I accidentally under-ate at first (because MFP underestimates my calorie needs). I felt great, and not hungry . . . until suddenly, I hit a wall. It took multiple weeks to recover normal strength and energy. Some people find that a few weeks after that - even if they've corrected - they start experiencing things like unusual levels of hair loss, or brittle nails. At that point, there is no explicit remedy, except to get past it. Worse things than those can happen, too.

Will horrible things happen? Not necessarily. But I think you're being naive about it not being a big deal, ever, at all. We're trying to give you experienced advice, to give you better odds of staying strong and healthy while achieving weight goals, that's all. We're not trying to stop you from making progress.

Best wishes, on your own course!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There's no reason to feel fatigued if you are eating well. By "well" I mean both eating enough and eating a "balanced" diet with sufficient nutrients. That means not trying to lose weight too fast with extreme calorie restriction or failing to consider micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc.) in your diet. You can either lose or gain weight on a diet of all one food but you will feel lousy eventually from a lack of some nutrient or another.
  • ChrisLaJohn
    Options
    UPDATE: On progress

Thanks all for you insight, thought I’d update on progress to date. Been really interesting in terms of the data and seeing the calories in certain foods would have never imagined. So over the 5weeks lost 3.8kg. Goal for the period was 5kg. Last 2 weeks have more or less flatlined. With consecutive 0.05kg in weight loss. Average calorie intake is 1800 a week. Don’t want to drop calories any lower so going to have to switch from weight training to HITT and see the effect of the increased calorie burn. Another source mentioned to drop carbs macro ratio currently at c40 f30 p30 to c20 f30 p50.
  • AnnPT77
    Options
    UPDATE: On progress

Thanks all for you insight, thought I’d update on progress to date. Been really interesting in terms of the data and seeing the calories in certain foods would have never imagined. So over the 5weeks lost 3.8kg. Goal for the period was 5kg. Last 2 weeks have more or less flatlined. With consecutive 0.05kg in weight loss. Average calorie intake is 1800 a week. Don’t want to drop calories any lower so going to have to switch from weight training to HITT and see the effect of the increased calorie burn. Another source mentioned to drop carbs macro ratio currently at c40 f30 p30 to c20 f30 p50.

Half a kg per week is a reasonable, sustainable weight loss rate. Keep in mind, you're going to be at this for a while, even if you lose faster. Sustainability and energy level are both important.

If you want to be losing a little faster, you're at a body weight where you could, for a while . . . but the reasons you're not are (just playing the odds of what we see here) are more likely from logging issues rather than because your calorie goal is too high.

FWIW, HIIT is usually not the sweet spot if maximizing calorie expenditure is your priority. True HIIT is intense, so self-limiting (can't do it for long duration, shouldn't do it daily), and causes more fatigue than moderate cardio (so can bleed activity out of daily life, somewhat reducing all-day calories out).

The EPOC (excess post exercise oxygen consumption, a.k.a. "afterburn") is oversold. Research I've seen tends to say EPOC from true HIIT is around 14% +/-, and from steady state more like 7%. Woooo: Twice as much! Until you realize that that's a percentage of calories burned during the activity. So, if one burns 500 calories in half an hour (moderately high number, if one's realistic about estimates), 14% of that is 70 calories, half of which would be 25. Underwhelming, numerically . . . and easy to wipe out if even subtle fatigue enters the picture.

For most people, the best total calorie burn is going to come from figuring out how much time you want to devote to exercise, then structuring the workout as a short warm up, a long segment of steady state at the maximum intensity you can sustain without causing all-day fatigue**, and a short cool-down. ** It's fine to have a bit of "whew" right after the exercise, but you should feel energized for the rest of the day, not draggy/exhausted. Moderate steady state can be sustained for a longer time period, and done more times per week without the calorie-sucking fatigue penalty, so more total calories get burned overall, for most people.

Yes, true HIIT has some special fitness benefits, but the geewhiz fitness blogs are overselling HIIT big time these days - so trendy. Even endurance-sport elites only use high intensity (i.e., what's high intensity to them) as a seasoning in their fitness menu - short duration, maybe a couple of times a week (in a context of quite a lot of steady state), and often only at certain points in a periodized training plan. Us regular folks with calorie burn and fitness goals don't need to be doing it multiple times a week for every workout.

Just my opinions, as always.