Options
Thoughts on weight lose shakes
Do they work ?
Been thinking about buying it and trying it out

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Drinking your calories is often given as advice to someone struggling to eat enough to maintain weight or deliberately gain weight because drinking calories is typically not very filling. Being hungry is not a good technique for adherence.

My biggest reservation (I have others...) is that meal replacements don't teach you any useful skills in how to eat healthily and at a suitable calorie level for life. Seems a very short term view and contrary to what should be IMHO the aim to get to goal weight and stay there long term.

They can work in the sense if you adhere to a calorie deficit by using them you will lose weight.
    As an example my S-I-L is incredibly determined and stuck rigidly to her meal replacement plan ("Horrible Life" I think it was called :wink: ) and lost a lot of weight quickly. Looked like a deflated balloon afterwards and regained the weight lost when she started eating normal food again.

If your viewpoint was 3 months weight loss then she was succesful. But if you look beyond that the plan was clearly a failure.
  • manyasin
    manyasin Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    They work in the sense that if you are in a calorie deficit when drinking them, then you will lose weight. However, as someone who enjoys food and cooking, the experience is pretty miserable. I also stopped using them and went off the rails, gaining the weight back. It is much more rewarding to put some time into cooking healthy meals, finding what food works best for you, then seeing the results on the scales or your waistband. Once you reach your goal weight you should have built some healthy habits (portion control, preparing meals etc) which you can continue as you maintain your weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    They didn't work for me. I learned that I don't feel full unless I actually have food to chew on.