Fat loss

Options
I am currently in the middle of hypertrophy training. I am 6‘1, roughly 220 pounds, with a high metabolism. I consume around 2686+ calories per day. I can’t seem to loose fat. It appears as if I‘m skinny fat. Am I missing something?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?
  • jack1336
    jack1336 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Do you use a food scale?

Yes. Why?
  • harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    What does MFP set your calories at for weight loss? Why do you think you have a high metabolism, or that you're skinny fat? Based off your BMI you are considered overweight.
  • jack1336
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    What does MFP set your calories at for weight loss? Why do you think you have a high metabolism, or that you're skinny fat? Based off your BMI you are considered overweight.

I take prescription Adderall which has cafeteria in it. I also drink coffee normally.
  • jack1336
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    jack1336 wrote: »
    I am currently in the middle of hypertrophy training. I am 6‘1, roughly 220 pounds, with a high metabolism. I consume around 2686+ calories per day. I can’t seem to loose fat. It appears as if I‘m skinny fat. Am I missing something?

Skinny fat typically means a low body weight with a high body fat percentage. At 6'1 220lbs, you are at the upper limit of the healthy weight range.

Using a TDEE calculator, it's doubtful 2686 cals is a deficit for you. Where did you get that calorie goal from?

So i did the TDEE calculator and now it says 3252.
    I must have put it in wrong. Is that a deficit? Should I take more?
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You have not provided enough info on your stats for anyone else to possibly know - as no one could duplicate your attempt.

So you know what you put into the TDEE calc - that's what we'd required to test and see if you did it right.

We know height and weight. Jack could assume male.
    You know what we are missing.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,615 Member
    Options
    Also, hypertrophy usually means you are bulking/growing, which would mean adding fat along with the muscle. Unless you are trying for recomp?
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Curious why do you describe yourself as "skinny fat" rather than just fat or overweight?

At the moment your goals and results aren't at all clear. Knowing what your weight trend is doing would help a lot.

Maybe using more words would help give context?

Would the two people who presumably disagree with me asking a 220lb person why they call themselves "skinny" speak up?

Weird. I agree with you and others that suggest he isn't skinny fat at all. He is at or near the BMI line of overweight and likely not in a calorie deficit.

But you know, lately there just seems to be some who irrationally disagree with all kinds of fairly innocuous things...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    Curious why do you describe yourself as "skinny fat" rather than just fat or overweight?

At the moment your goals and results aren't at all clear. Knowing what your weight trend is doing would help a lot.

Would the two people who presumably disagree with me asking a 220lb person why they call themselves "skinny" speak up?

Weird. I agree with you and others that suggest he isn't skinny fat at all. He is at or near the BMI line of overweight and likely not in a calorie deficit.

But you know, lately there just seems to be some who irrationally disagree with all kinds of fairly innocuous things...

It does seem that "skinny fat" has become almost as useless a phrase as "HIIT" or "clean eating".
    Seems to mean whatever people want it to mean....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »

It does seem that "skinny fat" has become almost as useless a phrase as "HIIT" or "clean eating".
    Seems to mean whatever people want it to mean....

Yeah, I get it. Like some kinda of rationale for various things like "I'm too fat" or "I'm thin but out of shape" or sometimes even, "I've got body dismorphia and bad posture". Or whatever one chooses...

Kind of silly really.
  • ThinnerLiz
    ThinnerLiz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    From someone who drinks a lot of coffee and has been on stimulant medications such as Adderal, I can tell you that they have no effect on weight loss/gain.
    If you are taking drugs “for energy” (which I don’t recommend) your appetite may be suppressed, which might lead to weight loss. But it won’t happen if you are eating eating too many calories.

Likewise, coffee. In and of itself, it doesn’t make any appreciable difference unless you are using it for energy to fuel harder workouts.

Hope this helps.