I'm Soliciting Your Running Shoe Suggestions!

Options
I hurt my ankle about 5 years ago ceilidh dancing while studying abroad in Edinburgh. At the time I wasn't sure how to get/didn't seek medical help, and so I have a lot of scarring which has sacrificed range of motion and strength in that entire leg+hip. My feet are now different sizes at the ankle due to some protrusion of the scar tissue, and with a size 5 us women's foot, finding shoes is just all the more complicated.

I like casual hiking, I don't mind running, and I like biking, but I've found that my shoes get worn down really quickly [I'm getting shoes at like, Macy's and such.] I think it time for my first pair of big girl shoes, and I'm particularly looking for something that will maintain support for a long time considering my ankle injury.

Do you have shoe brand you recommend for quality? If I'm gonna drop money on shoes, I wanna get something that's really gonna make my dollar go as far as possible. Let me know your thoughts, and thanks in advance!

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    Your best bet would be to go to a running store (or New Balance store as they may have a wider variety of Pseudo-orthopedic shoes in more widths - although only that one brand).

There are a lot of “good brands” including the brands you’ve probably been buying.

There are large differences in shoe engineering. And that’s where going to a running store will make a difference. They will measure your foot (length, width, height, shape, eccentricities) and your gait and suggest a few shoes that might match. You’ll try them on and see how they feel.

Unless the random internet person suggesting a shoe has the same foot size, shape, eccentricities, does the same activities in the same way; has the same gait; etc - their best shoe could be garbage (and potentially injury causing) for you.
  • mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12
    mnbvcxzlkjhgfdsa12 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I like Brooks which were recommended to me by my local running store after a fitting and gait analysis. I’d really recommend getting that done, I didn’t think it was worth the effort until I did it, turns out I’d been buying the wrong size shoes for a start..... I wouldn’t have considered Brooks without the recommendation but they worked out great for me, and I’ve bought several more pairs since.
  • RunBakeLove
    RunBakeLove Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I agree with Duck_Puddle! A running store is your best bet. I'm an ASICS girl but only because they are perfect for MY feet after years of searching before just going to the experts! Save yourself the hassle ;)
  • missyelainious
    missyelainious Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Running Warehouse online allows you to order good quality brands and try them on free shipping/ returns. You can even return them after wearing I think you just get store credit instead of a refund.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Running store for the shoes and see a physical therapist for the ankle/foot issue. The PT can help get your motion back and make you stronger.

Good luck.