A walk in the woods (pics)

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
edited June 2020 in Fitness and Exercise
An acquaintance from Texas came out here a few years ago, I drove him and his bike up to the nearest mountain pass, and he rode a trail coming down. Later he would tell me that seeing that many trees was like a religious experience for him. Well, if there's one thing we have here in the PNW, it's millions of trees.

I went hiking on an obscure trail in Darrington - the Chamonix of the Northwest – and enjoyed a walk in the woods. Started at the valley floor, had lunch with a view of the lower Whitehorse glacier which didn’t photograph well, and then went home feeling good about the day.

Here are some pics.

49965522358_e6419963cc_o_d.jpg

49966302462_a6debf0ce8_o_d.jpg

49966025336_0be3da8a31_o_d.jpg

49965521218_edfd13af97_o_d.jpg

49966023701_2b76d231e6_o_d.jpg

Replies

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Beautiful!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    We do have a few trees! A day out in them is never a waste of time. Thanks, NC.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Love love love these types of threads!

A walk in the woods is like a calming hug for me (as long as I am not being eaten alive by bugs :lol: ).

ETA the trees remind me of a hike I did in Idaho last summer, on Lake Chatcolet. It was breathtakingly beautiful! And after climbing and climbing I was treated to a gorgeous panoramic overview of the water!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    In the flower picture, there's a plant in the lower left corner that looks like poison ivy, but it's salmon berry. We had poison ivy where I grew up, it is no fun, and you learn to recognize it quick. Leaves of three, let it be. But instead of this menace that leaves you painfully itchy, it's a plant that makes delicious berries. 😁

Out here, a crazy high % of plants are edible. Jared Diamond talks about what a uniquely good place the PNW was to live in in pre-modern times in Guns, Germs, and Steel, and how it affected the trajectory of native culture to have abundant food and mild weather.

Edit to add: there's a wild strawberry in that pic too.
  • pfprimo
    pfprimo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing these beautiful pics. I live in hot, humid, and very flat central Florida - but the PNW is my spirit home. We do have some nice wilderness of slash pine and scrub, many beautiful parks and trail systems to enjoy, but I miss the mountains.