Experience with barefoot shoes?

Options
hipari
hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
I’m considering getting a pair of barefoot shoes. I haven’t tried them before, but I’m interested and I have some ankle issues that might be helped with better foot muscle activation. At least for now I only have plans on using them for walking, nothing too strenuous or high impact like running. I’m currently around 218lbs, if that makes a difference. I’m looking to get something that looks more like a regular shoe and not something that looks like a sock with toes separated.

I’m interested to hear about experiences, pros and cons, and recommendations if you love a specific brand or model. Thoughts?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Tried and still have the Vibram FiveFingers - I got blisters in them when trail running.

Got and like much better some Merrell Trail Gloves - wide toe box, thicker rubber padding on bottom for protection against rocks/roots.
    I only use on trails though, because I have unequal legs and require full lift if doing hard surface running where that would cause issues. (on trail everything is uneven so it doesn't matter)
    I did use it briefly on hard surface running and it was just fine, except for resulting hip issues needing that lift.

I'm looking at the shoes that currently have that name - Trail Glove 4 Runner appears to be the same, though mine has better toe box wrap around from tread for protection.

Sketchers also had 0 lift minimalist Go Bionics shoes with total flexibility that had minor insole for cushioning, that might work better for walking and still activate feet better. Sort of the in-between step before going full barefoot - or for times where padding is needed. This became the hard surface running since I could fit insole lift in there.

ETA - walking probably won't require the break-in for the feet that running would.
    But still might be useful to use for every other walk at first and monitor how stressed out your feet are doing what many think they were meant to do.
    I had no issues transitioning slowly, but also never got up to marathon training in them.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Older runner here: These were all the rage several years back. I have several friends in my general age group that developed severe foot problems by running in them, including one that got a stress fracture that took a year to heal. She had been running for her whole life and ran just one time in them. In short, I lost confidence in the concept of ultra-light footwear completely.

I think the standard full-support running shoe is really the best all-around design for running and/or walking for most people. On trails, I prefer at least a low-rise hiking shoe with a sturdy sole that stands up to rocks and roots, but trail-running or regular-running shoes are still very good. The design of modern running shoes is very highly evolved and hard to beat.

Best of luck!
  • FinelyFermented
    FinelyFermented Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hated them. They messed up my foot for a few months
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Tried and still have the Vibram FiveFingers - I got blisters in them when trail running.

Got and like much better some Merrell Trail Gloves - wide toe box, thicker rubber padding on bottom for protection against rocks/roots.
    I only use on trails though, because I have unequal legs and require full lift if doing hard surface running where that would cause issues. (on trail everything is uneven so it doesn't matter)
    I did use it briefly on hard surface running and it was just fine, except for resulting hip issues needing that lift.

I'm looking at the shoes that currently have that name - Trail Glove 4 Runner appears to be the same, though mine has better toe box wrap around from tread for protection.

Sketchers also had 0 lift minimalist Go Bionics shoes with total flexibility that had minor insole for cushioning, that might work better for walking and still activate feet better. Sort of the in-between step before going full barefoot - or for times where padding is needed. This became the hard surface running since I could fit insole lift in there.

ETA - walking probably won't require the break-in for the feet that running would.
    But still might be useful to use for every other walk at first and monitor how stressed out your feet are doing what many think they were meant to do.
    I had no issues transitioning slowly, but also never got up to marathon training in them.

Absolutely love mine. They're the most comfortable shoes I have. After somewhere around 10 miles the bottoms of my feet start to get sore, unless I'm only walking on soft dirt. Cushiony socks help with that. But they fit like slippers, and they're so light it feels like you're on steroids.

The knit version is wonderful too. Makes a fantastic water shoe.
  • hipari
    Options
    Thanks! The outdoor store around here (not in the US) seems to have Merrell Trail Gloves, I think I’ll go try them on and see what other options they have.

@Jthanmyfitnesspal - thanks for your honest opinion, I appreciate it. I have no plans on switching to running with barefoot shoes, and also no plans to replace the running shoes I regularly use for longer walks. I’m just looking for variety in footgear and my foot muscles could really use some activation. Your comment is still a great reminder on just how slow I should take it when easing into barefoot shoes if I decide to purchase them.

I still welcome other opinions and recommendations!

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    I've only had one serious running injury in my life and it was due to "barefoot" shoes. I followed the advice and started out slowly, still got an injury. I have no experience with using them for non-running activities though.
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,473 Member
    Options
    I’ve got several pair of Leguano. I wouldn’t run in them but they are crazy comfy for casual walking. You can slip them on easily and throw them in the washing machine. leguanos last forever, too.

I walk to the yoga studio in them once or twice a day, a mile round trip, and wear them shopping etc.

Would not run in them because I’d be afraid they’d slide around, and I would also trip over the toe tips.

https://leguanoshoes.com/
  • spr931
    spr931 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I'm curious...to the previous posters that had an injury from minimalist shoes....Did you spend much time barefoot like around the house and such before trying the shoes?
    I have ran twice - like a mile each time- in a pair of the Vibram 5 toe shoes and only experienced just general soreness. I just got them a couple weeks ago as a new experiment as I hate all shoes and have never had a comfortable running shoe due to wide feet. I stayed mostly in the soft grass on the side of the trail. I wonder if I'm faring ok because I never wear shoes in the house and in the summer I'm barefoot all the time except for at work. Also Only plan on once a week with these shoes until my feet get stronger.
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I am barefoot 90% of the day or more, and am one of the weird ones that can’t wear structured shoes without pain and numbness. I have some barefoot flip flops and also a pair of standard shoes - paired with Nathan elastic laces they are like slippers! Blanking on the brand name, Lems I believe. So fabulously comfortable for me. Those two pairs of shoes are what I wear for nearly everything out of the house. There are also stretches and exercises you can do to help strengthen your feet and ankles.

For running, standard running shoes would make my toes go numb (even the ones I was fitted for at a running store), but I can’t run in barefoot shoes (near instant shin splints) so I have Altra zero drop shoes for running.

I live near Two Rivers Treads, a minimalist shoe store... I see a LOT of local runners in minimal/barefoot shoes so I know it can be done, but it takes a special stride to do it right. I went to a couple running clinics and with time and patience was able to nip my horrendous heel strike that was causing all kinds of issues! I still need cushion, but running actually feels good now! The best visual I got from either a video on The Natural Running Center or Dr. Mark Cucuzella’s book is to imagine you are pushing yourself on a scooter (like a Razr). When I feel stiff and awkward i channel that thought and it smooths my stride out beautifully.
  • hipari
    Options
    @spr931 thanks for asking the question I didn’t think to ask!

I’m also barefoot/socks only most of my day, I don’t wear shoes at my office either and prefer being barefoot in the summer as well.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,403 Member
    Options
    Not for me. But to strengthen your feet have you considered wearing indoor socks or something else without soles at home? Have you considered actual foot training?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    spr931 wrote: »
    I'm curious...to the previous posters that had an injury from minimalist shoes....Did you spend much time barefoot like around the house and such before trying the shoes?
    I have ran twice - like a mile each time- in a pair of the Vibram 5 toe shoes and only experienced just general soreness. I just got them a couple weeks ago as a new experiment as I hate all shoes and have never had a comfortable running shoe due to wide feet. I stayed mostly in the soft grass on the side of the trail. I wonder if I'm faring ok because I never wear shoes in the house and in the summer I'm barefoot all the time except for at work. Also Only plan on once a week with these shoes until my feet get stronger.

I'm barefoot a lot, so I don't think that was the issue in my case. I didn't get my injury with the minimal shoes until a couple of months of use.
  • hipari
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Not for me. But to strengthen your feet have you considered wearing indoor socks or something else without soles at home? Have you considered actual foot training?

Like I said above, I’m barefoot or socks only most of the day, including at the office. Probably should have clarified that ”most of the day” includes not wearing any kind of shoes at home either.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Absolutely love mine. They're the most comfortable shoes I have. After somewhere around 10 miles the bottoms of my feet start to get sore, unless I'm only walking on soft dirt. Cushiony socks help with that. But they fit like slippers, and they're so light it feels like you're on steroids.

The knit version is wonderful too. Makes a fantastic water shoe.

Also love my Merrells. I use them as my go to shoe for lifting (heavy squats and deadlifts I’ll put on an actual powerlifting shoe, but the Merrells make it easy to go from warm up to workout). I wear (the ones too broken in to lift in) casually and sometimes on trails, but my hips haven’t liked the lack of cushioning for fast or long walks.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've been using minimalist or zero-drop shoes exclusively for the past 4 years now.

There are pros/cons. I will say I used to have flat feet. After using minimalist shoes for a few years, I have arches and am no longer flat-footed.

IMO the best looking minimalist shoes are from Vivobarefoot. It's one of the few minimalist brands that doesn't look completely stupid. My #1 recommendation for a minimalist shoe would be the Vivobarefoot Stealth III, which you can see on their website. It's well-made, looks good, and will give you that true minimalist experience if that's what you seek.

I walk most of the day for work. I also run trails. I have used the Vivobarefoot Stealth (very minimalist shoe) almost daily for 2 years. In my experience:

Cons:

When walking on hard surfaces (concrete, asphalt etc) for extended periods of time, very minimalist shoes makes my feet hurt. What I mean by "very minimalist" is very thin soles. The Stealths, for example, has a very thin 3mm. The shoe is so thin you can roll it up like a tortilla. Walking all day in them makes my feet hurt.

If you do any trail running where you encounter rocks or gravel, then again: completely minimalist HURTS.

Pros:

So what good Stealths/completely minimalist shoes good for? Well I love them for short walks, when I'm not walking all day on hard surfaces for miles. I love them for running on soft surfaces (dirt trails, grass etc). I love them for running on the treadmill. I love them for weightlifting.

Basically if I'm not going to be walking all day for miles on hard surfaces, they are my favorite shoe. It feels like I'm walking barefoot.

The stability when working out is incredible. To this day, I can't understand why people choose to lift weights in cushioned shoes. It's like working out on pillows.

As far as trails:

I really recommend you get something that's got a little thickness/cushion. I've tried Vivobarefoot's trail shoes. Even with their additional insole, my feet still hurt when encountering rocks. For trail, I like the Altra King MT 1.5s.

Final thought:

I recommend at least trying zero-drop shoes. Zero-drop means the shoe is level from heel to toe. Minimalist shoes are zero-drop, but not all zero-drop shoes are minimalist. Altra shoes for example have some cushioning (which makes them not minimalist), but they're still flat which makes them zero-drop.

Most shoes today, the heel area is higher than the toe. That means you're basically walking in heels all day.

I absolutely hated running, until I tried zero-drop shoes. To this day I can't run in the typical athletic high-heeled shoe.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    We aren't born with shoes, so the logic is the closer we get to being barefoot, the better. However, barefoot meant going on surfaces like grass, sand, etc. With asphalt and cement, that's NOT natural.
    I have a couple of pair (Vibram) and have used them for lifting, which is fine and I used a pair for hiking, which was fine as well since we were on dirt trails almost all the time.
    I tried running in them, but the stress on my calves didn't feel right the next couple of days so I halted that right away.
    The only other issue I have with them is they can get really smelly fast. Even if you wash and air them out frequently.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ableuableu
    ableuableu Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have sketchers skeletoes and I like them mostly for convenience. I wouldn’t dare run uphill with them, my achilles always feels really tight when I do.
  • RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    I began walking, hiking and running completely barefoot (trail and pavement) over 6 years ago and I love it! I’ve definitely noticed much stronger feet/ankles. Xero shoes has many many different styles of zero drop/barefoot shoes so I’d advise to check out their website. Lots of good info there too. I own their DIY sandals and run in them when it’s not optimal to go completely barefoot. I also own one of their closed toe shoes which I wear at work, the Prio shoe I think it is. I always prefer to be barefoot but my Xeros are the next best thing :)
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I like using kettlebells and you need good foot contact with the floor, so I tried barefoot shoes.

My favourite are the Nike Free range, which apparently don't count as barefoot shoes for the purists. I love the fell of them, though. They have enough support and although I am not a runner they do just fine for boxing training. I also have a pair of Vivo Barefoot shoes which are fine for kettlebells and calisthenics but feel hard on the joints if I do any kind of running or jumping in them. Worse than if I had actual bare feet, oddly.
  • stonewriter731
    stonewriter731 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I wear barefoot shoes all the time when running and walking. They can be hard to get used to and if you aren't used to walking around barefoot then you could hurt yourself with them. Feet need to be strengthened slowly just like the rest of our bodies.
    For me, barefoot shoes have been a life saver. Being able to feel the ground I'm moving on has helped me so much.