What should I put my gravy on?

amandaeve
amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
I have a bunch of leftover gravy made from the drippings of a beef roast. I don't normally eat gravy. What other meals can I make that go with gravy?

Replies

• corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Everything!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Rice along with the mushroom recipe up above
  • dietoctober
    dietoctober Posts: 3 Member
    edited May 2020
    Mmmm...comfort food! I really enjoy gravy over buttered sandwich bread (open face). LOL, however, this is the wrong platform for that. :P

Gravy from drippings is GOLD! If you have an excess, you can freeze individual portions in ziplocs (snack size or quart) for future quick beef dinners.

Pour over a bowl of hearty barley or farro.
    Variation: Slice plenty of fresh mushrooms into the gravy as you are heating it up on the stove (or saute some in a pan with onions, then add to the gravy.)

I am not a huge fan of cauliflower mash unless I add an ounce of neufchatel cream cheese, S&P, & sometimes fresh chives and/or parsley to give it some life. (fork mashed.)
    Beef gravy over this would be satisfying! Same with plain boiled potatoes, mashed made the same way as the cauliflower.

Healthy "Shepard's pie"- layered in a glass pan.
    Layer of mashed cauliflower or boiled potatoes mentioned above, a layer of gravy & if you feel like adding "cubes" of beef roast or ground beef, a layer of fresh cooked veggies; my favs, any or all, onions, peas, carrots, mushrooms, corn. ! Another layer of gravy. Then a final layer of cauliflower or potatoes. Warm in oven or dish some up & warm in microwave. *Serve with extra gravy on the side.

When my work life is hectic, I make a super quick & filling beef broth (no meat) vegetable & barley soup (or farro). I don't see why it wouldn't make a really nice, super flavorful soup base if you thin it out with water or even leave it thickened if you want a thicker soup.
    I use beef broth, canned crushed tomatoes, frozen or canned (unsalted) diced mixed vegetables (a blend of green beans, potatoes, carrots, corn, lima beans.) Rinsed barley or farro. Pour it all in a pot, season well to taste, it's ready when the grains have doubled in size & are soft/"chewy".
    Before eating healthier, I always added ditalini or baby elbow pasta and ground beef or beef cubes.

Haha, grrr, now all I can think of is the comfort of buttered bread & gravy, lol. :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    You can use it to enrich the meatiness of soups, stews, or curries. If you don't normally eat gravy freeze it until you need it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,590 Member
    Also for enriching any braised meat dish such as bolognaise sauce for pasta, chilli con carne, taco filling. You could also defrost some to serve with grilled steak.
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    You can use it to enrich the meatiness of soups, stews, or curries. If you don't normally eat gravy freeze it until you need it.
    acpgee wrote: »
    Also for enriching any braised meat dish such as bolognaise sauce for pasta, chilli con carne, taco filling. You could also defrost some to serve with grilled steak.

these are great ideas!

You can also use it for shepherd/cottage pie, beef pot pie, open-faced roast beef sandwiches (you can do this with deli-sliced roast beef), freeze it until the next time you fry up some burgers... as you can tell, I'm a big fan of beef.