Who needs pasta?

Options
idauria
idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
Last night I made some meat sauce with ground turkey(I even added some finely minced zucchini and carrots to the sauce) and instead of eating it over pasta I put it over some leftover mashed cauliflower from the night before. It actually tasted pretty awesome. I grated some parmesan on top and mixed it all together. Very delicious and filling without the carb coma(or the guilt)!

Replies

• HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    That's a really good idea. :)
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this idea! I am a low-carber, and at times really miss meatloaf and mashed potatoes. You have inspired me!!! Keep the suggestions coming!
  • idauria
    Options
    I honestly think I like mashed cauliflower better than mashed potatoes.
  • CindyWarner
    Options
    I use Quino instead of pasta.
  • idauria
    Options
    I love quinoa too! Although when I first tried I didn't care for it but I grew to like it. I especially like the red quinoa but that's harder to find. I wish it wasn't so expensive either. Anyway I do a lot of things with quinoa, both hot and cold things. It's very versatile.
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    Have you every tried spagetti squash? I use it sometimes instead of pasta when I make my meat sauce. Love the slightly sweet crunch it has. YUM
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    spaghetti squash is great! and you can make "noodles" by putting zucchini, or other vegetables, through the shredding blade of your food processor, or even using a basic vegetable peeler. I have also used bean sprouts as a pasta subsitute. I still love the real thing sometimes, but there are lots of great subsitutes.
    you can also get a thing called a spirooli that makes great noodles from raw vegetables.
  • idauria
    Options
    I like spaghetti squash too! That's more labor intensive to make though since it takes about an hour to cook in the oven. What else can you do with spaghetti squash other than tomato sauce?
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    I don't mind the labor of it..I cook all our meals. I have mixed a little curry powder, or cumin. Most of the time I just add salt and pepper to it.
  • staceyb00
    staceyb00 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Some times I get a craving for cabbage rolls - weird I know. I will take the cauliflower and shred it to the size of rice and mix that in instead of the rice - it is really good!
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Turkey Bolognese is a good way to add extra protein, I think, especially when you make it so thick a fork stands up in it.

Trader Joe's makes a Low(No?) Sodium jarred marinara that is a quick and easy delicious base for adding ground meats, shredded veg, or enough extra tomato paste to make it thick enough to use as a pizza sauce for whole wheat dough or portabella pizzas.

Now if only I could manage to avoid the gastric blowback of all that delicious cauliflower...
  • Connie_TN
    Options
    I think it can be cooked in the microwave. Will have to do some research for recipes! Winter squash is coming into season soon. Can't wait.
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, spaghetti squash microwaves well but cut it in half first.
  • idauria
    Options
    Well now I feel like I have to run out and get a spaghetti squash! After having cauliflower a bunch of times last week I need something different. I'll have to see if I can find one in the store this week. I'll have to find a good recipe though so that the rest of the family will eat it too.