Grocery prices rising, income isn't

Options
OK...I am tired of people saying...."Eating better food is cheaper because it keeps you out of the doctor" Well ok....but what if you don't have the resources to begin with. What if you can't afford the organic fresh produce because it cost almost twice as much as non organic? What about frozen veggies? Are they bad too? What about McDonalds being the devil? And this a calorie is not a calorie? But then you have people saying a calorie is a calorie. Lots of different people saying completely different tings. I'm tired of it...I eat all kinds of stuff and "naughty foods".....If I had the money I would be a rawist, seriously, I love salads and all things vegetable....well, I would be a partial rawist since I don't want to completely give up meat. But, some of that stuff looks wonderful! I've even looked into a food dehydrater. But, I sadly do not make enough to buy produce every week. I am a part of the working class that barly gets by. Now, don't assume that I am a do nothing slob, I'm in college to get a degree in Human Services to be to a case manager with plans on furthering my education to be a sex therepist or something of that nature. I am doing the best I can with what's available! I do not want people telling me what I should be eating. I CANNOT afford to go shopping at The Fresh Mart in the next town although I would love nothing more in the world than to shop there and buy everything organic and their better tasting whole grain pasta and their hormone free buffalo meat, chicken and lean ground beef. I would be so happy! But you know what I can't...I have to buy the Walmart 80/20 ground beef, the frozen chicken breasts and frozen fish.

You know what I have done? I quit frying foods, I quit drinking diet soda and I've cut back on my portion sizes. I try withing my budget to eat more salads (my salads have lettace, cucumbers, bell peppers, radishes, tomatoes, mushrooms, onions....I mean I run out of room!) I try to make it as colorful as possible. I eat different things and will try anything at least once. But, then I do have processed things in my diet, I have crackers, and bread, fast food, cream cheese. I do the best I can with what I have. I have lost 6lbs in 2 weeks, does that really mean what I'm doing is not working? If I complain about going over on calories I'm not always guilty about what I ate, it's how much....granted I am giving up onion rings, those are not worth it at all! I'm just really agrivated with all or nothing people. Sometimes a person cannot afford the "better" food. If you don't have it, you can't spend it. I do not have credit card bills, I refuse to give up the telephone, tv and internet,and I refuse to give up my vehichle. I refuse to give up these things....would you give up this stuff? Just because I can't spend all my money on super healthy organic food for 4 people, does this mean we are doomed to be fat? I really hope not

Replies

• katiepie111
    katiepie111 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    agree :)

im a single mum of a 3 year old and studying as well - we eat heaps of frozen veges, plus crackers and treats - and the cheaper cuts of meat. of course when i finish uni we will hopefully be able to afford the "better quality" food - but to lose weight and live healthy you DONT have to live all organic, "clean" eating (whatever that is) and have NO preservatives etc in your diet. I for one dont have a problem with junk food - yes i have to limit it but dammit im still going to eat it! theres worse things in this world you can put in your mouth ;)
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Just because something is organic doesn't mean it's better for you or even healthy. Buy what you can afford, keep on going on - and you'll do great :)
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I stock up when things go on sale. Split chicken breast was on sale .99/lb recently and I bought 8 packs so that will last me about 6 weeks or so. Same with produce, when its on sale, I freeze extras.

My issue lately is finding produce that isn't nasty!! I went to TWO different grocery chains yesterday for produce and at both stores, the spinach and romaine were all wilted, most the fruit were all smushed and had flies all over them. I asked the produce manager at both stores who told me it was from the recent heat we've had.. So instead of leaving with all my stuff, I was able to get a watermelon, 3 bananas and a bag of carrots.
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I wonder, could you have a little garden? Even a patio garden does very well. I would suggest an herb box too. Green onions will grow in a long rectangular box. Tomato plants also work in a pot. It isn't going to supply your every day with tons of fresh produce but it certainly would help! I have a decent size garden, I really managed to work a lot into a small space. I'd measure it at 12x8 feet approximately. I have basil, cilantro, dill, onions, had romaine lettuce but it bolted, green onions, garlic, hot banana peppers, bell peppers, jalapeno peppers, green beans, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, and two pumpkin vines with a big pumpkin each. My daughter loves pumpkins and they aren't cheap. I know plenty about gardens, if you have any questions I would love to help and offer advice!
  • geraldm55
    Options
    I sounds to me like your on the right track. I don't eat all organic and I haven't quit eating foods I like and yes I still have a drink here and there, but in the end I try to watch my calories and exercise as much as possible. I'm finding that I'm eating healthier just due to watching my calories. oh and I drink a ton of water :)

we are also on a limited budget, but one of the things we discovered just recently is the farmers market. we can buy twice as much good foods for 1/2 the cost. if you have one near you give it a try its amazing what you can buy (veggy wise)

PS. 6 lbs is awesome keep up the great work.

if your looking for a MFP friend feel free to invite me.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    It's not about being perfect (esp. somebody else's idea of perfect) it's about doing better.

Improve what you can within your means and always keep an eye out for practical improvements, even if you can't make them all at once.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    double.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    organic does not mean its better! buy what you can afford. if canned vegetables are what you can afford, then that's okay. I buy Great Value brand everything - meat, chips, etc. 80-20 just means 20% of the meat is fat, but fat isn't bad for you! Just read labels consistently, and look for coupons when you see them! i will look up products online and search for a coupon.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    It's not about being perfect (esp. somebody else's idea of perfect) it's about doing better.

Improve what you can within your means and always keep an eye out for practical improvements, even if you can't make them all at once.
    PS. 6 lbs is awesome keep up the great work.
    ^this
  • em1976
    em1976 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Tbh I dont have the income either to be doing a regular shop for fresh fruit and veg.I come from australia where evrything is grown there and moved to new zealand where much is imported and the quality is significantly lower than what im used to.When I shop I stock up on tonnes of frozen veg(whatever is on special) and frozen berries.Generally with a lower income we are limited to our meat as well so we make do with alot of chicken as its cheaper.Ive lost alot of weight,im unsure if its due to buckling down and counting everyday or the actual reduction in the amount of fresh fruit/meat I used to eat;mass bananas,grapes,stone fruit,the lot,ate tonnes in perth.Now due to the cost bananas is the only fruit I eat and due to being imported I have to freeze them as they go off so fast.They are then added to my protein shakes so the amount of fresh produce I actually eat is almost nil.Frozen is what I have to make do with and this is the healthiest and slimmest Ive ever been.
  • calderst
    calderst Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I would love to "eat clean" and organic and all that good-for-you stuff, but right now I'm more concerned with having enough gas to get to work. It's tough and prices are still rising.

When things get really tough (i.e. this week ahead of me), I make sure I have eggs-- nope, not the free-range magic eggs, but the $1.99 eggs. I can get good protein from my omelette (made with generic frozen veggies). If I need the extra (refined!) carbs for energy at my second job, I make an egg sandwich. I'm not saying I eat eggs every day but they are a decent, healthy option. I also have my share of PBJ (300 cal is a bit high for how little it fills me up tho!) and frozen meats.
    And I drink my water right out of the tap. :drinker:

There will always be all-or-nothing folks ready to tell you what they would do if they were you. But they're not you and they don't know what you're facing. 6 pounds is fabulous. Eating a healthy amount of calories and moving as much as you can are a proven method of success. There are other methods out there-- you can't do them all at once. If you've chosen to count calories, then focus on calories. Once you get to a point where you feel like you've come as far as you can just counting calories, then you can worry about the nit-picky stuff if you want. Me, on the other hand, I'm cool with my calories for the time being. It's gotten me to my goal weight and I'm confident I can stay here if I just keep doing what I've learned to do-- empty gas tank or not!
  • pickenslmc
    pickenslmc Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Look into a food co-op, like bountiful baskets.http://www.bountifulbaskets.org/ Every week you contribute $15 for a huge amount of half fresh fruit/half fresh vegetables. I know there are other co-ops around as well. I buy meat in bulk at Costco, but meat also is on sale somewhere almost every week. Starch is cheap if you eat it, I don't do much, but a bag of quinoa, rice, or potatoes lasts a long time for very little money. If you eat bread, all variety can be bought very cheap at a bakery outlet, usually less than half the price in grocery stores.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Why so worried about what others think? Do your best and that will be good enough.
    When cooking with 80-20 boil some water while the meat cooks put meat in a stainer pour boiling water over it in the sink and wash away the fat.
    Popcorn is cheap, buy the old fashion kind pour a shot glass full of kernels into a lunch bag roll up bag 2x's and pop in microwave for 2- 2:30 minutes.
  • jupaba
    Options
    First of all what makes you think you have to eat organic to eat healthy? "Regular veggies/fruit" are just as healthy. I make all my food from scratch and it is cheaper than buying the pre made / pre packaged food. For example if you buy the fruit / veggies that are in season it is cheaper. There is nothing wrong with frozen veggies. I grow my own and freeze them for winter. Buy chicken leg quarters and take the skin off before cooking. Buy no name brands which will save a lot of money. Make soup from scratch (use the bones from your chicken legs for the stock). Make your own bread, muffins, cookies etc. That way you can control the amount of fat. There are a lot of things you can do to save money and still eat healthy.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    have you tried your local food banks also on line they have 2 company's that you can buy their food and then supplement 1 is angel food ministries, and the other is the treasure box, they both have different food items frozen veggies are fine. and they are about 32 dollars for about 2 weeks of food depending on family size. You can go to social services and get lists of the help available in your area. We have one called Hope food you pay 30 dollars and they give you a shopping cart of food my daughter goes to one in Meza Az that is 16 dollars and she gets quite a bit of food you can also shop at the dollar store for fresh veggies, lots of options you just have to look Best wishes and no you dont have to by organic
  • cthoma70
    cthoma70 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of stuff from the farmer's market and eat some and can the rest. Its not as cheap as last year but still better than buying it from a store.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I understand about the prices....but 6 lbs in two weeks is great!!!!
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    You do what you have to do....I hate the all or nothing approach, its a sure fire way to failure for many people. I do not buy organic, I simply can't afford it. I buy fresh frozen veg (has to be frozen within a short time of picking)...its as good as fresh from the stores as by the time its in the stores its older than the fresh frozen (fresh frozen is cheaper than fresh most of the time too) I buy the meat cuts I can afford, usually bogof offers. My shopping bags usually are full of largely orange and white (sainsburys own brand) or green and white (asdas own brand) there are a few exceptions, wont buy the cheapest pasta, rice or bread and I only like one brand of instant coffee.

This is your "journey" (hate the term but too lazy to think of another way of saying it) and you have to get there any way YOU can
  • paxetamore
    paxetamore Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    So sad but true. I have a friend trying to feed a family of four, and it is much less expensive for her to pick up meal-in-a-box at Wal-Mart than fresh veggies & chicken at a local market. Sure, portion size counts, but this food she has to buy feels like empty calories; thus, they eat larger portions to feel full. But she is relieved that at least they are all eating. It is really a wicked cycle. And one that is impossible to change until healthier groceries at reasonable prices become the norm, not the exception. Not too mention, she went back to school and her fiance works all the time, so time is an issue. They are busting their butts without public assistance and do not have resources to grow a garden (nor the space, they rent, not own a property), nor time to cook oatmeal from scratch to feed the boys in the morning, for example. Nutritious cereal can run at least 4 bucks per box; whereas, a loaf of cheap white bread for toast is a fraction of that cost. Well, that is my social commentary on the situation :grumble:

Meanwhile, sounds like you are really making great choices working with what you can. Awesome job!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I don't bother with organic or "clean."

I do avoid fast food because... I can't afford it!

I get 5# package of boneless skinless chicken breasts for around $10, and I'll get a lot of meals out of it. I check the circulars online at a few different stores before I got shopping, and decide where to go and what to buy. I check the "reduced for quick sale" bins for fruits and veggies, buy store brand instead of name brand whenever possible. I love the bags of different mixes of veggies, like pepper stir fry, California blend, Italian blend, etc. Get a good variety without ended up with a crisper drawer in the fridge full of green slime. :wink:

A typical meal is some kind of meat, some frozen veggies, a marinade, and some brown rice or pasta. (I ain't afraid of no carbs!) Usually under $3 per person, for a delicious home-cooked meal... or I could get a dollar menu burger, dollar menu fry, and dollar menu drink, and not be as satisfied or well-nourished.