Wow no motivation off no one yet lmao

Options
2»

Replies

• jordanconroy23
    jordanconroy23 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yep I know about weight lifting lol I use free weights but thanks for that advice and wow 4000 kcals I’ll build up to that this app says eat 2500 at least a day to put weight on but I’ll try go for 4000 up from now on so is there any good creative u put money on or proteins?
  • Daisyfinch90
    Daisyfinch90 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Also I think it’s totally the right thing to avoid steroids. But you may have unrealistic expectations as to the natural limits of muscle gain if you’re looking at pictures of body builders and wanting to look like that (I don’t know if you are!). Look up natty lifters for a more realistic view of what a fit and muscular body will actually look like.
  • jordanconroy23
    Options
    Yep I agree I don’t want to be massive or a body builder I’d just like to put more weight as I lost a lot lately due to Illnesses but I will keep going never do steroids lol
  • Daisyfinch90
    Options
    @jordanconroy23 maybe start at around 3000? Then work up, just to be sure you don’t end up fat! A 1500 increase straight off the bat may mess you up if you’re doing okay now. Husband may be taller than you, and is obviously burning more calories over the day due to high muscle mass. Also good to stretch your stomach a bit too - I have seen first hand how difficult it actually is to fit that amount of food in if you’re eating well! But 2500 is maintenance calories for a lot of men, and if you’re training hard then I really think that might be the root of your problem.

Are you eating the right things at the right time before/after workouts? I do know if his diet slips then his strength isn’t all there, and that timing of food is everything.

I can’t remember the name of the forum he used to go on when starting out - I’ll ask when he’s home from work! He got really good results, but I can’t over emphasise just how much food he needs to eat to stay big 😂

• Daisyfinch90
    Options
    And aim for “real food” protein sources before reaching for the protein shake. You’re likely to end up needing shakes anyway in addition to meat etc (cause meeting those macros with meat is EXPENSIVE!!) but prioritise the meat - shakes won’t provide a complete amino acid profile.
  • jordanconroy23
    Options
    How did u get so clues up about all this?
  • Daisyfinch90
    Options
    Years of my husband training and telling me all about it. At length 😂.
    He did loads of research and got really good advice off the bodybuilding.com forums (I know you don’t want to body build but there’s a wealth of knowledge on there and people are really helpful when it comes to muscle gain, but you need to be quite specific with your questions!)

He logs calories and workouts using this app though, as it’s definitely the best one for that. The calculators can be a bit iffy on here though, especially for your goals. If I was you, I’d maybe have a mooch on the bodybuilding.com forums (or somewhere else similar, there might be better forums!) for some advice on putting together a diet/lifting programme, but carry on logging on here.

I hope that helps!
  • jordanconroy23
    Options
    Yep I get u I will take what u said and use it to my full advantage thanks lol
  • Daisyfinch90
    Options
    Good luck! Once you find something that works for you, progress should be swift! Things go slow until you’ve cracked what works best for your body, then whoosh it all comes together.
  • jordanconroy23
    Options
    I’ll keep u updated lol
  • Daisyfinch90
    Options
    Please do!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    And aim for “real food” protein sources before reaching for the protein shake. You’re likely to end up needing shakes anyway in addition to meat etc (cause meeting those macros with meat is EXPENSIVE!!) but prioritise the meat - shakes won’t provide a complete amino acid profile.

There's nothing inherent about a shake that will keep it from provide all the essential amino acids -- it's going to come down to the source of the protein in the shake. Soy, for example, is a complete protein so a soy-based shake can provide complete protein (same with egg white protein).
  • Daisyfinch90
    Options
    @janejellyroll just generalising of course, but I’d never recommend shakes as a primary protein source. They can lack other nutrients too, and the lack of fat if not replaced elsewhere can lead to rabbit starvation. The bioavailability of nutrients varies massively depending on how you’re consuming them - which is why taking vitamin supplements < eating a wide variety of food.

Not being snooty or anything mind! I’m vegetarian so have shakes regularly. And they do have their place, but for optimal health prioritise real food!

The xenoestrogenic properties of soy when consumed regularly over a long period will make it harder to gain muscle. It’s fantastic for post-menopausal women mind - switching to soy based proteins enabled my mom to come off HRT. Obviously it’s not guaranteed to mess with your hormones, but soy seems the last thing a man struggling to gain muscle should try as a protein source!
  • Daisyfinch90
    Options
    @janejellyroll prayers for you and your city, btw. Awful times x