Bikes are the new toilet paper

Options
NorthCascades
NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
Washington, DC(CNN)Eric Attayi, owner of the Urban Bicycle Gallery in Houston, Texas, has watched the pandemic transform his shop in a way most businesses can only dream of.

Bicycles are selling before he has time to assemble them for display. Attayi said he'd matched his 2019 sales by the start of May. He's had to hire new employees to meet demand, and hasn't taken a day off since February. Attayi said he'd given raises and started buying lunch for his stressed staff.

As unemployment reaches record levels and small businesses scramble to survive, bike shops have been an exception.

They're thriving whether they're in car-dominated cities like Houston and Los Angeles or more traditional biking areas like Portland, Oregon, New York and Washington DC. Keeping enough bikes in stock, and finishing repairs in a timely manner, has become a challenge. Customers are being turned way, in some cases.

A recent survey from the National Bicycle Dealers Association found that 83% of shops are concerned about their inventory levels. Bike manufacturers are struggling to keep up.

"We're usually a pretty slow, chill shop," Attayi said. "Now the phone doesn't stop ringing. My guys get overwhelmed and I totally get it."

New customers are looking for ways to be active and outdoors. Bike shop owners say that the closing of gyms and yoga studios during the pandemic has contributed. Others say customers are looking for a commuting alternative to public transportation. Social spacing is easiest on individual modes of transportation, like cars and bikes. In March 2020, US cycling sales increased 39% when compared with March 2019, according to the NPD Group, which tracks retail sales.

"Bikes are like the new toilet paper," Attayi said. "If it's available, buy it."

Garfield Cooper, owner of ZenCog Bicycle Company in Jacksonville, Florida, has extra mechanics working to try to keep up with a repair backlog. Repairs that are usually done in 24 hours now require up to a month. Cooper, like Attayi, said he hadn't had a day off since February.

While his sales usually decline in the summer months with increased heat and humidity, Cooper said he hasn't seen a lag in business yet.

"It's been a long time since the bicycle has been this important to the American people," Cooper said. "It's so cool they're this interested in bike riding."

He's struggling to keep things like bike seats and helmets in stock. Cooper said he's regularly calling other shops to find parts he needs for repairs.

Robert Keating, who owns the Triathlon Lab outside Los Angeles, said he's never seen anything like the current bicycle boom in the 37 years he's worked in bike shops. He's shifted his shop from a focus on high-end bicycles to affordable bikes people are likely to ride in their neighborhood. Beach cruisers have been especially popular, he said.

"Some people are saying 'it's such a joy to be back on my bike. I can't believe I ditched it for so long,' " Keating said. "Some people say 'I can't believe how hard it is to ride. I'm going to build my strength back up.' "

Bike shop owners are also wondering how long the current boom will last. Some said customers were more interested in biking because with less car traffic, roads felt safer. Their interest may wane as traffic returns. But some cities have begun to reallocate street space to bike lanes, which could lead to more biking in the long term. Roughly 400 miles of protected bike lanes have been built in the US in the last decade, according to the advocacy group People for Bikes.

Phil Koopman, owner of BicycleSpace in Washington DC, compared the current bicycle boom to 1999, when many people bought computers to prepare for Y2K.

"Then those companies didn't sell a lot of computers for a few years because everyone already had one," Koopman said. "That's the big question. Is this a one-time thing or is it something sustainable?"

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/02/tech/bike-boom-pandemic/index.html

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I just read this and listed a spare bike on a selling site again. I bought it because my old bike was stolen. First thought: community took it to a depot because they were working nearby where I left it. It didn't show up on their recovered bikes website and so I bought a new one. Turns out my old bike turned up again 6 weeks later. They'd forgotten to take photos (plus they claimed earlier they'd not taken bikes away from that location). Maybe I'm lucky. Though there's not really a bike shortage here. Fingers crossed.
  • cmhubbard92
    cmhubbard92 Posts: 5,018 Member
    Options
    I definitely believe this! I had checked out a local bike shop(online, as they were only allowed to be open for curbside pickup), and they only had 3 women's bikes left in stock, and maybe 5 or 6 mens bikes? Usually they are very well stocked, but I kept holding off on getting a new bike. Now, I'm wishing I had gotten it before! 🤷‍♀️ I'm happy for these business owners, though! Once things do settle down(and there are more options), I will definitely head back there to get one!
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I just sold a cherished 37 year old bike, as it wasn't right for me any more (I'm riding something new). It was in great shape, I spiffed it up, and set a fair price. Fair price for normal times. I had more than 30 solidly-interested buyers in a space of less than 48 hours. Only a few counterbid my price, more than a few tried raising it. A number of people, just commenting on the bike, said it was "a great deal" (read: "priced too low"). Well, I gave it to the first inquirer, who is pleased to be riding her, and isn't a "flipper," so I'm content. Could I have cherrypicked the queue and gotten a better price? Definitely. It seems to be a superheated selling environment right now.

I'm prepping my wife's old bike to sell (she as well is riding something more age-appropriate). I'll see what that one moves like. Mine was a steel tourer; hers is a road racer.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Same with squat racks and weights.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,955 Member
    Options
    I thought about it...but I'm guessing I'd fall off it just as much now as I did when I got rid of my bike 15 years ago.

I should stick to two feet, not two wheels.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    My son has outgrown his bike and even back in late February/early March it was hard finding anything available. I haven't looked since then but I guess there's no point in looking now.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Yep, a few of the shops here have taken to closing one day a week just to keep up with repair and maintenance work. I'm still amazed by the amount of people that don't wear helmets though.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    I just bought a cheap folding bike to use as alternative transport - not recreation - to/from my auto repair shop. Sold an overpriced hoverboard that I never used, which paid for it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The local shops seem to keep pretty short stock of the $500 and below models. The low-end market has become a crappy business, because people will just go to Walmart or something and buy their crappy low-end bikes for cheap. When they break, they take them to a real bike shop, which at least then can make a few bucks trying to get them to work.

There are typically plenty of bikes in the $1k and up range. Even more in the $3k and up. Yeah, that's the ticket! :p
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    I should consider myself lucky then, my daughter kept my beloved MTB when she moved out last year and I bought the same model from my favourite LBS on sale earlier this spring. It's the same colour scheme as the old one so my wife hasn't even really noticed it's appearance in the garage. B)
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    yes, I just sold my spare bike. :D and a boy is happy that he has a fast bike to go to school with.
  • arizonacolbys
    arizonacolbys Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Both my kids have totally outgrown their bikes & I can't find new ones for them anywhere! Really kicking myself for not buying them at the end of summer last year - never would have thought I couldn't get my hands on one this year! lol
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I found out this truth a couple weeks ago! I live nearish D.C. - the eastern panhandle of WV (we are a bedroom community for commuters). I have some “found” money from making masks for small businesses in our area ($3/mask, not in it for the money at all, but it added up!) and thought a new bike would be a great investment... quickly found that it wouldn’t be that easy! So instead I am investing a smaller amount in my 25 year old Cannondale to make it more road/Sprint Tri friendly (thinner, higher pressure tires, trigger shifters vs. grip, new saddle, pedal changes). Even that almost didn’t happen due to lack of parts. Also was blessed with a nice hand-me-down Nishiki for my oldest who needed a new one. A friends son outgrew it, very gently used minus the derailleur being jammed (teen boy). Hubby will need a new one eventually, but not sure when that will happen.

This was our local Dick’s Sporting Goods last week. The LBS has 12 bikes available and none to restock in sight. em2gw1qcsd5z.jpeg
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Maybe it's because I live in seemingly bike capital of the world, but I haven't seen a huge spike. Maybe that's because biking has always been huge in Tucson. People come here from all over in the Winter to bike here.

Well, I guess I'm wrong. I looked it up out of curiosity. This is the shop I got mine. Must be I just beat the rush. It'll slow down here soon. Only the hardcore ride here in Summer. It can be 90 in the early morning.

https://tucson.com/business/bike-shops-enjoy-boom-as-tucsonans-look-to-ride-out-coronavirus/article_0a437a0f-5171-564e-a0fc-09494fb9030d.html
  • moonangel12
    moonangel12 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    I know my dad went bike shop hopping in ID/MT while traveling a week or two ago and found plenty of stock in his area as well - he kept texting me pictures of bikes he found for both myself and him! He’s got a bike addiction and would be a happy camper buying one from every shop he visits :D
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Glad I hung onto my 20 year old Trek Mountain Bike when I was on a 16 year hiatus and getting fat and out of shape!

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    I just sold a cherished 37 year old bike, as it wasn't right for me any more (I'm riding something new). It was in great shape, I spiffed it up, and set a fair price. Fair price for normal times. I had more than 30 solidly-interested buyers in a space of less than 48 hours. Only a few counterbid my price, more than a few tried raising it. A number of people, just commenting on the bike, said it was "a great deal" (read: "priced too low"). Well, I gave it to the first inquirer, who is pleased to be riding her, and isn't a "flipper," so I'm content. Could I have cherrypicked the queue and gotten a better price? Definitely. It seems to be a superheated selling environment right now.

I'm prepping my wife's old bike to sell (she as well is riding something more age-appropriate). I'll see what that one moves like. Mine was a steel tourer; hers is a road racer.

I sold my wife's bike. Took 15 minutes after posting. I got a good price, the buyer got a good bike and is happy at a reasonable price. Now, between these two bikes being sold, I've got some cash for some things I need for my new bike ... LOL.

Pics of the two old bikes sold. Fuji Touring Series IV, circa 1983 (mine) and Bottecchia Aelle Tre Tubi, 1990, my wife's. I cleaned them up, lubed them, made sure everything was working. I see stuff listed that has just been pulled out of the garage and not even dusted off going like hotcakes (here in NJ). I didn't sell because the market is hot right now, but it helps. We are prepping to downsize the house in our retirement.

06hcqg3d0tnd.jpg

b0n5wu7bd6ov.jpg

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    @mjbnj0001 Those are gorgeous, classy bikes!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    The local shops seem to keep pretty short stock of the $500 and below models. The low-end market has become a crappy business, because people will just go to Walmart or something and buy their crappy low-end bikes for cheap. When they break, they take them to a real bike shop, which at least then can make a few bucks trying to get them to work.

There are typically plenty of bikes in the $1k and up range. Even more in the $3k and up. Yeah, that's the ticket! :p

A lot of the massive influx of newby riders are looking for low end bikes since it's a new (potential) hobby for them. The local shop has taken to advertising to take bikes for sale on consignment (with preference for lower to middle end, but bike shop quality bikes). If anyone has a bike to offload to make room for an upgrade, now's the golden time.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Also huge repair backlogs everywhere due to the loads of people suddenly taking ancient non- maintained bicycles out of storage.