48 year old woman wanting to begin weightlifting

Options
mhart72
mhart72 Posts: 16 Member
Good morning! I am a 48 a year old woman, fluctuating hormones, and at my highest weight ever this morning....I have been reading blogs and articles and know that weight lifting is actually the way to go, even though I’m programmed to think cardio, cardio, cardio,....I consistently do 30-40 minutes of cardio a day and although I feel good when I’m done, I don’t see my muscle tone improving. However, I am new to the weight lifting scene and need a beginners plan to follow. What do you all recommend for a middle age women, just beginning?

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    There is a thread in the sticky posts called Which Lifting Program Is Right For You? You can start at any age!
  • sarebearr
    sarebearr Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    May I suggest checking out Joan MacDonald (trainwithjoan on Instagram) for some serious inspiration of a woman getting into fitness later in her life! She is much much older than you but I think she's inspiring and it's amazing to see women from all ages get fit!

But yes, what Chieflrg said. low volume program. Lower weights, higher repetitions to get into the swing of things. Do you have access to a personal trainer at all? Could really help in learning the basics of weightlifting.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Since you are novel to training, I would start with a very low volume program since you will respond very robust to any stimulus in most cases.

I can write something up for you if you like if you give me the equipment you have access to as well as your resistance and cardio goals as well point you in a direction once more advanced training is needed.

Glad to hear you are looking to add resistance training and reep the benefits.

@mhart72, if @chieflrg is offering to create you a program, I'd take him up on it! He knows his stuff! (And he's never offered to write me a program. :sad: )
  • cupcakesandproteinshakes
    cupcakesandproteinshakes Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Since you are novel to training, I would start with a very low volume program since you will respond very robust to any stimulus in most cases.

I can write something up for you if you like if you give me the equipment you have access to as well as your resistance and cardio goals as well point you in a direction once more advanced training is needed.

Glad to hear you are looking to add resistance training and reep the benefits.

Yes I’m a second for the chief. He’s extremely knowledgable. And generous.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Exercise is the way to go for fitness, not cardio or strength training. Strength training is for building muscle, not losing weight. Absolutely add weight training in your routine, to build strength and improve overall health, do not expect to lose any weight because of it though.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Here is another IG that I'm a fan of. She just changed her IG name recently as it was fitbyfifty before as that was her goal. Very inspirational, keeps it simple and works out at home.

https://instagram.com/fitoverfifty.us?igshid=1lm8m2uiyfulr