Sweet tooth - pre diabetic

Options
Hey 👋🏻
My Dad has been told he’s pre diabetic and is now starting to diet to get healthier, but he’s always had a sweet tooth, especially in the evenings.
Not that I’m asking people to divulge if they are themselves diabetic, I’m just curious as to what low sugar alternatives people go for when the sweet tooth kicks in late at night!
Any help would be appreciated so I can give the old man some ideas on how to deal with the sweet cravings!

Peace

Replies

• Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    It might not be for everyone but I gave up sugar for February and since then my sweet tooth has been much more controlled. It certainly cut my sugar down a lot.

In terms of sweet things lower in sugar would things like the low calorie syrups like sweet freedom help?
  • Paradiddle90
    Paradiddle90 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    He’s trying his best to give up as much as he can, especially processed sugars.
    He doesn’t live in the UK anymore, they moved to Portugal (lucky swines) and they’ve always complained about a lack of low sugar or sugar free alternatives.
    I just suggested Greek yoghurt and frozen strawberries (a lower sugar fruit) blended up to make “ice cream”, he’s gonna give that a whirl.
    But I’ll be sure to recommend finding sweetener!
    It might not be for everyone but I gave up sugar for February and since then my sweet tooth has been much more controlled. It certainly cut my sugar down a lot.

In terms of sweet things lower in sugar would things like the low calorie syrups like sweet freedom help?

• nmgu
    nmgu Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don’t know if they have these things where he is but I like Atkins endulge treats, as well as rebel ice cream.
  • Fizzysgirl
    Fizzysgirl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I like sugar free hard candies
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,481 Member
    Options
    I enjoy a sugar free chai latte two or three times a day. It’s very sweet, and very hot, which both Atari’s does my sweet tooth and tamps down my appetite.

*Instant chai tea mix (Blue Lotus is terrific)
    *Jordan’s Sugar Free Salted Caramel Syrup (to taste. I like it sweet so I usually use 25gr in my 2cup mug)

Mix with boiling water and top with:

*1/4 skim milk frothed in a hand frother (and microwaved to thicken the froth)
    *Cinnamon sprinkled on top (Vietnamese cinnamon is unbelievably sweet tasting without having sugar)

That Vietnamese aka Saigon cinnamon might also help assuage his sweet tooth elsewhere.

Just remember, this is all up to him. He has to be motivated and invested. You can be both and it will be like moving a mountain if he’s not. Believe me, I went through it with two severely diabetic parents who carried on like nothing was amiss.
  • meskibrp
    meskibrp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    You seen those snicker commercials? Yeah, that was me without my nighttime "snack". The single best approach I have found is to not eat any (processed_) sugar at all. Now, when I have cravings, simple things like strawberries and cherries do the trick! I try to remind myself that food isn't a treat, it's sustenance. Let it be your medicine, not your guilty pleasure.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I don't go to be until about 1 am. I am currently "planning" a snack so my calories are on reserve. I love ice cream and chocolate and still get major cravings for it. I buy Popsicle brand no sugar added fudgsicles which have 40 cal/pop.

My other favorite is popcorn. There are 200 calories in the Kroger brand that I buy. I eat is in small bites to make it last longer. It satisfies the salty / crunchy craving.