gym...

i'm thinking of joining a gym.
but am questioning whether or not the extra money per month is worth it. we're on QUITE the tough budget......and i want to make sure it's worth it.
anyone have input?

Replies

• shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    I love going to the gym, and paying makes me go. Do you have anything like Fitness 19 or 24 Hour Fitness in you area? They are only about $15 a month and month to month so no contract if you decide you don't like it. The YMCA has reasonable prices to compared to the bigger clubs. Good luck!! :)
  • medoria
    medoria Posts: 673 Member
    Can you workout at home? There are numbers of different workoutdvds out there, both cardio and circuittraining depending on what youre looking for.
  • Is there a gym in your area with a free trial membership? Then you could see at least over the course of a week or two if it's something you're likely to get use out of and how you feel about going. If you're going to use it, I think a gym membership is one of the things you can put as a budget priority, but if you won't use it then there are definitely more important things to use that money on.
  • my take on this is if you are disciplined enough to do it at home, go ahead...whatever works for you. Personally I am not. I have bought numerous equipment/ taped the fittness channel workouts on Direct TV at home. Could not follow home routines. I need to drive somewhere and be around people to be motivated.
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    I agree - try a free trial membership if you can before you commit the $$$.
  • LA_proud
    LA_proud Posts: 162 Member
    I found SNAP fitness...I am currently trying them out for 30 days and it cost me 10 bucks. Last week was my first week and I made it to the gym 4 days. So far, so good.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    If you're going to use it, then it's worth it. For me, I need to workout at a gym with other people, but that's because i do most of my work from home, so part of my motivation for going is that it gets me out of the house. Another motivational factor for me is that I do pay monthly for it, so I want to get my monies worth! It's also good if you like trying out different classes. My gym includes various classes in the membership, so when I get tired of my regular routine, I just go to a yoga class or a spin class, etc.
  • karematt
    karematt Posts: 25 Member
    thanks for the input everyone. the gym that we like the most... only has a "3 day test drive" so we called and are planning on taking advantage of that. we want to find out for sure if the machines and classes and such are things that Dan-o can use (he's in a wheelchair, relearning the walking business) so we want something that will for sure help out with Physical Therapy there. it says it's $20 a month. and our goal right now is to go Mon-Wed-Fri & Saturday. but.....downside, it's 20 minutes away. we want to find one that's closer, but we kind of live in an "OLDER" area that doesn't have anything (one grocery store and 2 gas stations lol)

we're soooooo ready to make this work!!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    If you use it it is worth it if you dont then its not
  • Mybabie
    Mybabie Posts: 239
    If you can find one that will help you and also help your fiance out then go for it.
  • darlilama
    darlilama Posts: 794 Member
    Can you pay on a monthly basis, that is, no long term contract? If so, then you can see if it "fits" for you. 20 min can be "forever" sometimes. :) I'm so impressed with you guys… you are obviously committed to a "life style change" and to each other. I'm sure you'll make it work, whatever you do!
  • karematt
    karematt Posts: 25 Member
    You're so sweet :) I love him like crazy, and am very thankful for the support and love he provides me.
    We found a pretty good one. We have to commit to a one year, but can pay on a month to month basis.
    It has all sorts of classes and a weight room for my honey :)
    It has a womens side and an everyone side, we've decided to sleep on it, and make our final decision on Wednesday.
    SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited to be as beautiful as he thinks I am.
  • Well we are going to join a gym and today we gave it a look over. I am in a wheel chair so the gym worker was talking over me to my almost wife like I was not even there. I am in a wheel chair, not Fing stupid. The world is full of stupid people and I was not going to miss a great opportunity, because of some dushbag.