75 Hard

Options
ekaba1998
ekaba1998 Posts: 1 Member
Hey my name is Egbe. I’m 19 and I’m very overweight. I’m only 5’7 but 232 lbs and I’m tired of being this size. I’ve been overweight my whole life and I’ve never really been able to stick to a diet. I heard about the 75 Hard Challenge and was hoping to get some advice. Is it worth the struggle? What diet is good to do while doing the challenge? If anyone who has done this can help out I’d really appreciate it!

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I don't know enough about the 75 challenge to have an opinion, but weight loss is caused by being in a calorie deficit. Use mfp and let that help calculate your calories. Log your food. Log any exercise separate and eat back those calories. I'm 5'7 and starting weight was 225. I'm down 20 lbs simply by being mindful of my calories. I still have 70 lbs to get my weight loss goal. I personally don't think weight loss should be a struggle. Find something that you'll want to stick with for life.

Lots of good luck!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is simple, but not always easy! Eat fewer calories in a day than your body needs and you’ll lose weight.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    75Hard is actually about teaching people to get themselves into good habits. You don't have to choose any diet that you know you can't follow. You choose a diet that you think is good for you and that you think you should be able to do for 75 days. It has simple rules. If you mess up on a day you go back to day one. The program is pretty new and has people who have done it singing its praises. You can do this along with MFP. It isn't a one or the other type thing. It is also free.
  • ChrissyChickie
    ChrissyChickie Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Here is the info I got....

You are about to embark on the hardest 75 days of your life. But if you can get thru it without cheating yourself, you will come out on the other side as the the hardest, most disciplined version of yourself. The habits you develop and what you learn about yourself will change your life forever.

At first glance, to some the program might look simple. It is.

But don't confuse simple & easy.

Some of the most simple things in life are also the most difficult.

#75HARD is one of those things.

To others it might look too advanced. Also, don't be fooled ... it's not. You can do this no matter what your starting point is.

This is not a physical challenge. It is a mental challenge, designed to develop all of the characteristics you lack in life that have landed you where you are at. The physical transformations that occur are just the by-product of the mental transformations you will make.

You will be tempted to cheat and compromise. You will not be tempted by me ... you will be tempted by yourself.

You will be tempted to try to change things a little to suit you and your "special lifestyle." But that right there is the root of every problem in your life.

Every single thing you do is built on your discipline and ability to keep your own promises to yourself.

EVERYTHING.

When you make a small compromise to yourself, it engrains that decision pattern in your life. You subconsciously tell yourself that is OK and create a pattern of compromise across every single area of your life. It rounds-off the sharp corners of what should be an exceptional life.

The next 75 days is a chance to prove to yourself that you're not a liar ... you're not weak ... and you truly have what it takes to break the patterns of weakness and compromise you've built over the course of your entire life.

I'm not special ... and neither are you.

I did this ... and I know you can too.

But that doesn't matter ... it's up to you to believe in yourself and do the work.

—Andy

So what are these simple tasks that you have to do the next 75 Days?

👇👇👇

#75HARD
    ☑️ Follow a diet. This can be the diet of your choice, but it must be a structured plan designed with a physical improvement in mind.

☑️ You must complete two 45-minute workouts. One of those workouts MUST be outdoors.

☑️ Absolutely NO alcohol or cheat meals.

☑️ Take a progress picture every day.

☑️ Drink 1 gallon of water.

☑️ Read 10 pages of a book. **Audiobooks DO NOT COUNT.

ZERO COMPROMISE

ZERO SUBSTITUTION

You have until you go to sleep to complete the day.

If you fail, you MUST start over on Day 1.

Sounds easy huh? We'll see about that.

Each one of those daily tasks was hand picked for a specific reason. They were chosen for a reason that I will explain and you will come to understand as you are moving thru the challenge. Trust me.

While you're getting started, here are your next steps ...

Step 1 — LISTEN

Listen to the Real AF episode I did specifically on 75 HARD. This is the cornerstone of the challenge that will transform your life over the next 75 days.

Listen to the Podcast
    Step 2 — SHARE

You know others who struggle with traits like confidence, self-esteem, self-worth, self-belief, fortitude, and grittiness ... tap below to share 75 HARD with them.

Share 75 Hard
    Step 3 — SUBSCRIBE

Join me and my guests as we discuss, debate, and laugh our way through trending topics and hot-button issues.

Subscribe to RealAF
    Step 4 — GO!

Quit planning. Quit making excuses. Quit waiting for the perfect time. Get out there and move. Start your program.

Download the 75 Hard App to help you track your progress and post your results online thru the program.

Download the App

Use the hashtag #75HARD so me and everyone else doing the program can see your progress too.

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    I can see how that might work for some people, sort of an inspiring Amazon warrior kind of idea. For my tastes, though, that really sounds like it's playing into "you're fat and out of shape because you're weak" kind of nonsense. Sets people up for "If you fail, it's not the program's fault - you just weren't good enough". "Go back to day 1" reminds me of the gym teachers who required push-ups of people who were slower than the pack in the track run. And it sounds like devoting hours of time a day, if that 45 minutes of exercise X 2 is daily? On top of regular life? With good overall life balance (enough time/energy for job, family, chores etc.)?

But I'm admittedly a lazy, hedonistic gradualist, so that program obviously wasn't targeted at people like me. :lol:

It might work for you, OP. But losing weight, or getting more fit, doesn't *have* to be all *that* hard. I mean, there will be times when some parts require a bit of self-discipline, but I'm inclined more to PAV's and Wendy's (posts above) way of thinking, that the easier, more sustainable, and even more enjoyable we can make the process - the less sacrifice and white-knuckled self-discipline we require of ourselves - the higher the probability of long-term success.

That's especially true, IMO, if the real goal is not just to get to a healthy weight and a fitter body, but to keep those long term, i.e., for longer than 75 days. (Maybe that 75hard character transformation part takes care of that, too, with some kind of ForeverHard - not sure.)

I know PAV's a healthy-weight pretty-active guy, after years of being something else entirely. I'm a pretty thin li'l ol' lady (have been for 4+ years now) after several decades of obesity, and not in terrible physical shape for age 64. Several of the other folks expressing skepticism are also coming from a place of decent success. That nice Quiksylver not only lost weight, but became a weightlifting champ. Maybe we have some point?

Dunno. Different things work for different people, for sure.

Since you're looking for "a diet", this is what I did:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

. . . but you'd have to add in some extra rules to fit the 75Hard restrictions. (I don't like rules, so I minimize them.)

Wishing you much success, whatever route you choose!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If your boss at work gave you a tough and long-term task to complete would you deliberately set out to make that task harder or easier?

If you are a person who thrives on rigid rules, restrictions and routine then I would suggest defining your own would be superior to adopting someone else's.

Have a serious think about what gives you the highest chance of success, you should know your own strengths and weaknesses so seek to use your strengths and mitigate your weaknesses.

The question "is it worth the struggle?" - yes being healthy is absolutely worth the struggle but motivation and discipline are limited resources so use them wisely.

To me this absolute view of must do tasks sounds hateful and could give a very binary view of success and failure which might prompt just giving up instead of a sense of proportion. In reality success (in weight management) is the goal and tools should help you progress towards that goal, don't prioritise the tool over the goal.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I really don’t understand the no alcohol or no chocolate thing AT ALL. Losing weight is about eating in a deficit. I have had chocolate and stayed within a deficit. I have had wine or beer and remained within a deficit. I am NOT a big drinker though, so at most I’ll have 2 beers, usually only 1.

I just think that this plan is:

A. Needlessly difficult
    B. Has an end date
    C. End dates mean you are done
    D. When you end and go back to what you did before, you regain the weight lost.