Recipe building

Options
Let’s say I make a batch of chicken salad. How do I figure out the number of servings/ serving size?

Replies

• Geneveremfp
    Geneveremfp Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I will sometimes log a whole recipe as one serving and then figure out how much I eat after. So if I have half the recipe I put it as 0.5 servings
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    If you're creating the recipe, the serving size is whatever you want it to be. That's determined by your appetite, the other stuff you're eating with it, and your calorie goals.
  • cesse47
    cesse47 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I love chicken salad so created a recipe for it. I created it for 1 person 1 serving. I weighed and measured each ingredient then added it to the recipe. I used 4 oz of canned white chicken breast. but, I can also make it from leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, etc. other ingredients: grapes, celery, onion, mayo. Then saved it as 1 serving. It does all the nutritional calculations.

Let's say you make a much larger batch. I'd use increments based on 4 oz of chicken. So, if you used 16 oz of chicken and quadrupled amounts of other ingredients, your servings would be 4. Then, when you log into your meal for the day and only use 1/4 of it, I'd log it at 0.25 serving size.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Some people weigh the whole batch and then enter that number as the number of servings, then when they eat some, they enter that weight in the portion.

So, you build the recipe. Weigh the pot or dish you're cooking it in (to subtract from the total weight of the thing.) Once you have it built, weigh the whole thing. Say it's 2600. Enter 2600 grams in the Servings box.

When you eat some, say you eat 200 grams. Enter 200 into the Portion box. It would be 0.076, which is a little unwieldy. On the old recipe calculator (which is what I use) you'd have to enter a percentage in .25 increments then I go in and change the number to 0.076 after it's logged, that's the only way to get it to give me the number I want.

Pretty complicated. It's easier to eyeball it with sizes or serving ladles.

• aries68mc
    aries68mc Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I usually wait until after I have made the recipe to determine the number of servings based on how I portion it out. Most things I use a 1 cup serving size, others 1/2 cup. It just depends what it is. I will portion out for that meal, then start portioning out the rest for freezer or fridge and count the number of cups I have.