Cardivascular work outs. Should I take days off?

Options
I know I've read that you need to take days off from weight lifting in order for the muscle to repair or regroup or whatever it does.

I have worked out for nearly one month, daily, but doing only aerobic exercises. I do toning work in the pool with water weights but only for my arms.

My question, should I be taking days off from aerobic work outs? Is it ok to work out every day? I think I missed two days this month which is a bloody miracle.

Would love to hear what YOU do.

xoxo
Bevy

Replies

• Teliooo
    Teliooo Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My uncle is a fitness trainer and he told me to cut out going to the gym or working out every day. He told me that I should be doing that every other day. I think every day is OK dependant on what you are doing. Maybe just a brisk walk one day (yoru reccomended 30 mins) and the next day then have a heavier work out.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    When I was at the peak of my weight loss journey, I was working out 6-7 days a week for 60 mins everyday. I was in the mindset that more is.. well, more. Didn't take long before my body put a halt to it. Our bodies NEED time to rest, recover and repair themselves --- even when all we are doing is cardio. They need that time. When I backed off and started working out 4-5 days a week for 60 mins I felt more productive on my workout days (because I wasn't overly fatigued) and I saw better results.

So, to answer your question - yes, give your body rest days. It'll thank you for it. :)
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I HATE taking days off, but sometimes....I just have to! In 2010, I took about 5 days off total. Now, I try to take one day a week easy.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!! This is so new to me :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You should always take at LEAST one day off a week to let your body recover. Your body needs time to repair itself, even from cardio exercise.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much!!!! This is so new to me :)

Also, I found I got better results when I took an entire week off every 4-6 weeks. I didn't do ANY exercise during that week and always lost weight when I went back to the gym. I used those weeks to focus less on working out and more on my food intake.
  • Meg2012
    Meg2012 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Build in something gentle like Yoga, or pilates, and put that on your rest day, if you are a person who NEEDs to move. Just a walk is good too. But your body changes while at rest, so rest days are crucial.
  • shmo1969
    shmo1969 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't take a day off, but maybe switch up your intensity and time. Moderate cardio one day and high the next. Good luck!! :)
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I usually take one day off, but still walk about 30 minutes just to feel like I did something, but I dont do "hard cardio" or even hardly break a sweat on those days. I am also obsessive though, but I do think 1 day off a week at least is good, some do 2 days off... I just cant do that one... :ohwell:
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I have a few days off a week but i try and eat a lot healthier those days too. I would recommend doing light weights and other strength training to mix it up a bit :)

Good luck
  • Katie3784
    Options
    I do mat pilates at home EVERY DAY, I lift free weights four days a week, and I do some sort of cardio(usually elliptical) 5 or 6 days a week. I would do less, but I honestly love the way working out makes me feel. I am addicted. I think it's fine to take two days off a week from all exercise, though. However, I also do not think there is any problem with doing aerobic activity everyday if you want to. The only workouts that I think you should not do everyday are strength training ones.
  • mora_ta
    mora_ta Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You do need to take a day off for your body to rest. You won't get burned out either.