A Newbie confused on Calorie Limits

Options
Hi Everyone,

I'm a bit confused. I'm a 40 year old male 226/5'8 with a sedentary lifestyle (desk job). I put this in my profile because that's me - although I plan on exercising 3-5 times per week, my calorie limit will increase on MFP when I enter in exercise.

I've compared my calorie limit from other respected sites and my MFP limit seems really really low - approximately 1350 calories a day. Compared with other respected sites, I'm closer to 1800-2000 calories for fat loss.

If I have to eat 1350 calories, I'll do it, but I don't want to lose muscle in the process because I'm undereating. Has anyone experienced the same thing?

Brandon

Replies

• Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    MFP does calculate to the low side. You might want to consider customizing your numbers. It takes a little bit of time and scratch paper, but it will be worth it in the end. Do you know how to figure your macros?
  • rudegyal_b
    rudegyal_b Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    ooo macros ..do tell!!
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Yeah 1350 seems a little low. I work in computers and while I have a desk job, I didn't chose the sedentary lifestyle...mainly because once I leave work I like to run, hang out with friends, ride my motorcycle, etc. I'm very active once I'm out of the office! MFP says my calories should be 2030 and that seems about right for me.
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    That does seem low - using just a very unscientific (your weight * 11 (since you're a guy) *7 (days a week)) - 7,000 (2 pounds a week) and divide that by 7 to get your weight loss calories --- seems like it should be almost 1500 on days you don't work out. If you want to loss 1 pound per week - it's even lower.

If you want to maintain - then we're talking that is REALLY low.
  • Soccer_Chick
    Soccer_Chick Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I have found success with increased fitness level and fat loss by customizing my intake and macros (carbs, fat, protein). I used a combo of online research and reading to find the simplest way to calculate my nutritional needs. It would be tough to explain it here, but I found this site to be helpful. http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

Take a look and play with the calculator. There are some helpful links on the left side of the page as well that may help. Tweak the calculations based on whatever your current goals may be. If you want fat loss or maintenance you can adjust for those goals.

Good luck!
  • Thanks for all of the replies - good information. I think for at least the first few weeks I may leave it at 1350 being that (at least according to Dr. Oz) that most people eat more calories than they think they do. So, if I target 1350, maybe reality may be a little bit higher. But 1350 calories kept me full for the last two days surprisingly. We'll see what happens when I start working out tomorrow, which will increase my calorie limit anyway...

Thanks for all of the replies!

Brandon