Weight fluctuations

Options
I had lost 7lbs over a couple of weeks, then I suddenly gained 3 (without a change in calories) . I thought it was just one of those blips, where weight goes up for a day with no apparent reason. But 4 days on and it’s still not dropped. I didn’t eat any more, and I’m still eating at a deficit every day. Has anyone experienced this? It’s so disheartening 😞

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yep, every menstruation and ovulation. Where are you at in your cycle?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Alternative viewpoint is that you have lost 4lbs in three weeks which is a decent rate of loss - well done. :flowerforyou:

A monthly view might help you track and understand your weight fluctuations?

It's also a good thing to switch the thought process from weight loss to fat loss - if you are confident in your calorie counting then you KNOW it can't be a regain of fat.
  • darcyelizabeth
    darcyelizabeth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Knightmagic it’s so frustrating! I know we shouldn’t be ruled by the scale, but it really winds me up ha. Well done on what youve achieved already though!
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I can gain 1kg (2lb) between weighing myself in the morning and weighing myself in the evening. I no longer weigh myself in the evening.

So may things affect your weight that it will yo-yo and it could be a couple of weeks before it suddenly whooshes down. As @sijonial says, put the positive spin on it and recognise that you've lost 4lb in three weeks. I'd be more interested in what happy scale says for a 6 week period than the week to week (or day to day) fluctuations that you're seeing in between.
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Trust the process and trust the trend Happy Scale shows. But also, has your weight stayed exactly the same for 4 days? If so, could be time to change the batteries in your scale.
  • seeahill
    seeahill Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't a linear process and daily fluctuations can be distressing. You might try plugging your daily weight numbers into a graphing weight tracker. That will set a trend line. Because weight fluctuates (water retention mostly), depend on the trend. If it's going down, you're headed in the right direction with nothing to worry about. Daily weight numbers are the noise. The trend is the signal. Libra is a good graphing app for android. Happy Scale works for IOS.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep can cause water weight gain for me, too, as can a change in what I'm eating, the temperature and humidity outside, etc. And sometimes it can take as much as 2 weeks for my body to let go of that water weight. Extremely frustrating, for sure!

I agree with other posters in checking the batteries in your scale and a trending app can sometimes help keep the sanity when you KNOW you are on track but the scale refuses to cooperate. Otherwise, I'm afraid, patience is the only tool you have. It may take 2 weeks to lose it, but I promise the water weight will eventually let go!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    Lack of sleep will definitely do it, as well as the stuff discussed in our favorite weight fluctuation article, here:

https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations/