ATTN RUNNERS!

Options
I receently purchased a Garmin Forerunner 405. had to send it back because it did not work. I realy want to get a watch that accurately keeps my distance and that also will pair with a heart rate monitor and show me my actual calories burned.. Would love to hear which products you all have that you love and would recommend. and also, which one I need to avoid!! thanks so much!!

Replies

• phatphd
    Options
    The Polar FT60 (though somewhat pricier than many of its counterparts) is both a HRM and has GPS capabilities for speed/distance. It's pretty excellent.
  • Pavia410
    Options
    The Polar FT60 (though somewhat pricier than many of its counterparts) is both a HRM and has GPS capabilities for speed/distance. It's pretty excellent.
    I have heard really good things about this one as well. My mom has it and loves it. Next month I am getting it for my b-day.
  • Dragonfly1996
    Dragonfly1996 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Garmin 310. Had it 3 years & it's been really reliable!! :flowerforyou:
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Why didn't it work? I have the Garmin 405CX and I love it. Most people don't do their research and realize that Garmin products only are fully functional and at their most accurate when they have a GPS signal. So if you bought a 405 and tried to use it in the gym, it won't work unless you buy the footpod. I only use my Garmin for running/walking outdoors and it's the best purchase I've made in a long time! Otherwise, I use the Polar FT60 and love it!
  • laz22girl
    Options
    I have the garmin 305. It's a fraction of the 405's price and has never given me any trouble.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 305. Yes a bit bulky but absolutely love it!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    I have the 305 and can't say enough good things about it. It was less expensive than some other options and has been my favorite running tool so far!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    For running there is nothing better than Garmin. Their customer service is pretty good, they should replace it no problem.

Stick with a 405, 410 or 610. If you want the HRM to track calories from exercise other than running, then get the 405 CX (instead of the regular old 405).
  • runnermel
    Options
    thanks for the reponses. the besel (sp) did not work at all. just wouldn't respond to any touch at all. I have sent it back and will get a refund. but I do have a quesiton, what is the difference in the reg and the cx version of the 405?
  • KEShikes
    Options
    I have the Garmin 110. I love it. It has no frills, is very accurate, and was much cheaper.
  • tigerbluefly
    tigerbluefly Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin 405CX and I love it!
  • ASPhantom
    ASPhantom Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    We use the Garmin 305 and it's only $133 on Amazon right now. I was comparing models earlier and for the money difference, I'd go with the 305.
  • turnerjh
    Options
    I have the Garmin 305 as well and have since May 2009. I love it and have had no problems. I read a lot of reviews and lots of people reported problems w/ the bezel on the 405. My 305 has a HRM and while it is a bit bulky it is not nearly as bad as you would think. I am pretty petite and it works great for me. I cannot imagine running without it now. I use it for both running and cycling and have logged well over 2,000 miles with it. By far, the best running gadget I have every purchased.
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm looking for a good HRM as well.
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    Regarding the 405 vs. 405CX (and the main reason why I purchased the CX):
    The only difference (save color) is that the 405Cx uses heart rate information when calculating calories, leading to a more accurate caloric readout. The 405 uses user profile and distance/speed. Check the comparison page to see a list of all the features included.
    Source: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=3332

You can also compare a few of the Garmins side by side on Garmin's website.

I have had not one problem with the Garmin 405CX and I've logged over 700 miles running since I got it earlier this year. Add in another couple for cool down walks and just off days from training for races, and it's easily seen 1000 miles this year. I blame user error a lot of the times, people aren't tech savvy enough for some of the Garmins and don't bother to look at the manual!