Gym days

Options
SO I am new here (a week) and wondering how much time I should be in the gym? I have been going every day the last 4 days and feel great! All I really do is some treadmill work, maybe 15 min on a bike and a little bit of strength training with machine weights. Today I did not do the weights but about 40 min on the treadmill doing intervals. I also have been doing Zumba Fitness for the Wii at home the the 3 days previous going to the gym. Should I be taking a day off, or as long as I feel ok with it keep going daily? Part of my motivation to workout is to earn some extra calories cuz I am still hungry with only 1410 calories/day. So I burn some calories and eat about half of them back. Never all of them if I can help it. Anyway, this is a long winded way of asking if I am doing the workout portion alright or what? Thanks for your feedback!!

Replies

• smashleymcgee
    smashleymcgee Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Seems to me you are doing great. As long as you feel good and aren't tired I would say go to the gym as much as you can. I workout almost every day (because I want to eat more also) and it really helps. If you start to get sore or overly tired then I would take a break, but until then keep at it :).
  • lsteirer
    Options
    I was over 200 lbs, was doing pretty much what you're doing, and hit a plateau for a month. Very frustrating. Come to find out, you really need a lot more protein if you're building lean muscle with weight training, then burning lots of calories with cardio. I hired a trainer who recommended 5 days a week, 30-45 minutes a day. One of those days is fine as 45 min of interval cardio only. Someone else told me that 2 days off in a row allows your muscles to "heal" and rebuild the lean muscle tissue, so I go Mon-Fri, then sleep in on weekends. For calories, I stay in the 1200-1500 range on work out days, and stay lower on the nonworkout days. Since I've changed my goals to "customize", and made the protein 40% (or 120grams), the weight is starting to melt off (it's been almost a week now since I "fixed" my diet). It's hard to get that much lean protein in, so I've found that lots of fish, and egg whites only seems to help. Good luck! It sounds like you're off to a great start, so keep it up and you'll make your goals.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Just make sure to change your workout from time to time so you don't get bored!
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    As long as I feel like it I do something everyday. If I don't feel great I rest. I feel something is missing if I don't exercise It's worked for me. Losing about 1.25 lbs per week. Taken awhile but I've really learned new habits. Just don't overdo. Sending you thoughts of success
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    I aim for 30-60 minutes a day, plus some strength training of some sort I think you are doing great to start out with.
  • un4gvn2
    Options
    If you enjoy working out and feel great - I say GO FOR IT !

I love working out and shoot for something every day. I have worked my way up to doing cardio & strength training classes every other day (6 days) and usually HIIT 30 at home on Sundays. If my body is beat, I take day off. But honestly, most of the time I go to a class and I feel better !

Good Luck and Keep Up the Great Work !!