Not eating enough

Options
I have stopped drinking the majority of my daily calories ex: soda, iced coffees, bottled coffee drinks, juices. And I drank a lot of that, it was just easier for me. Now that I really need to focus on what I’m putting in my mouth I have stopped drinking all of that and only drinking water. I do get daily exercise too, but my struggle is that I am not eating enough actual food to get any where between 600 and 800 a day for calories is actually a better day for me. And I know that I need more. I don’t eat beef, pork or fish so that limits many things and I try to stay away from gluten as much as I can cause it makes me sick. I just feel really frustrated and don’t want to go back to drinking all that garbage cause I gained weight over the last few years and could definitely stand to loose some

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    If you can reach out to a registered dietian for support. They can help you put together meal plans that'll meet your nutrition and calorie needs. If that's not available. Try to drink a higher calorie protein smoothie with lots of vegetables, fruits, and nut butter. Eating 600-800 calories isn't fueling you or your muscles, and that includes your heart.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    Try adding more calorie-dense foods to your diet, like olive or other vegetable oils and full-fat dairy like cheese, yogurt, and eggs.
  • ThilaM87
    ThilaM87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    @lilchefmelissa, I'm going through the same phase. I notice significant amount of weight loss when my calorie intake is around 600 - 800 when it actually supposed to be 1200.

I've just restarted my weight loss journey but slowly I'm building the fear to eat more, maybe because I'm aiming for fast results or I'm scared my progress will slow down which I know is unhealthy. Since I'm not eating enough, I have a tendency to binge eat especially at night (happened twice this week).

If you're looking for an accountability buddy, maybe we can support each other to eat more but within our calorie limit 😊

I dont eat beef and I dont fancy pork and fish. I stick to chicken and eggs for protein and veg too. How about yogurt? That's my current favourite! Smoothie sounds like a good option too if you have the time to make it.

I've not restricted any food/drinks completely but I'm trying to be more mindful of what I eat and drink by planning ahead. I usually key in what I'm going to have a day earlier in MFP and I try to include 1 favourite food/drink (or snacks, haha). Just started this plan, let's see if it works

Dont feel frustrated, you'll definitely reach your goal weight. Keep going, you got this!
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    You could try a protein shake
  • podperson1
    podperson1 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and eat pretty low gluten so there's lots of options out there. Things like beans, lentils, rice with veggies, eggs, potatoes, cheese. With only 600 cals how many meals are you having a day? Can you add in some small snacks - I'm trying to cut down mine but when I do have them then things like fruit, yoghurt, mini cheeses, nuts etc are light and easy to just pick up.

Also, possibly a bit controversial but I am a big believer in listening in our bodies, some days I only have 600-800 cals and I don't feel hungry/tired/dizzy or anything so I don't see the point in the eating more for the sake of it. Other days I might have a little over my allowance though.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    podperson1 wrote: »
    I'm vegetarian and eat pretty low gluten so there's lots of options out there. Things like beans, lentils, rice with veggies, eggs, potatoes, cheese. With only 600 cals how many meals are you having a day? Can you add in some small snacks - I'm trying to cut down mine but when I do have them then things like fruit, yoghurt, mini cheeses, nuts etc are light and easy to just pick up.

Also, possibly a bit controversial but I am a big believer in listening in our bodies, some days I only have 600-800 cals and I don't feel hungry/tired/dizzy or anything so I don't see the point in the eating more for the sake of it. Other days I might have a little over my allowance though.

Some people go by weekly averages so that they can follow a more intuitive eating pattern like yours. I don’t think it’s controversial if you are averaging an appropriate amount for your body. What gets people in trouble is if they think that because they felt fine after one day of low calories, or even one week, that it’s appropriate for them to continue that indefinitely. In reality, bodies fight pretty hard to stay “normal” even when there are deficiencies, but things go very poorly when it can’t handle it anymore.
  • AngelaMyLife777
    AngelaMyLife777 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Avocodo, nut butters help me!