Serving size

Options
If I’m making a recipe that says serves 6 but only says 198 calories for 1 serving, how do I figure out how much to measure out how much I can eat?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Can you weigh the entire dish and divide that number by 6, and have that be your serving size? Or, if no scale try to divide the dish into 6 portions?
  • eryn0x
    eryn0x Posts: 138 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Seconding the response above: if I know I’m going to eat all the portions myself I don’t bother weighing it. If one slice is bigger than the other, the calories will still total up in the end.

For example: I slice a lasagna into 4 imperfect pieces and record each meal as 1/4
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Arguably, a serving size is whatever you want it to be. Let's take your example of something that lists 198 calories for each of six servings. That means the whole thing has 1,198 calories (6 x 198), close enough to 1200 not to quibble. Now, you get to decide how much you want to eat both in terms of amount and of calories. Let's say you have 600 calories to fill on your diary -- eat half. Let's say you think about 1/4 of it will satisfy you -- that's about 300 calories. Only want a 100 calorie snack? -- eat 1/12th.

You can do the same thing with the weight of the item. If it says an 80g serving is 198 calories, then a 40g serving is about 100 calories and a 120g serving is about 300 calories. Just grab your calculator and do the arithmetic.
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I edit the recipe after weighing it. Suppose it weighs 1150 grams total and has 3500 calories of ingredients . I just say it is 115 servings, 10 grams per serving. It records that as 30.4 calories per serving. That way, when I dish it out, I just weigh and divide by 10 and that is how many servings I had and it automatically calculates the total calories.