Macros and Calories

Options
So, I've always been told that a gram of fat is roughly 9 calories, carbs are 4, and protein is 4.

However, I've noticed some discrepancy when it comes to food labels.

Take this tortilla. The package lists:

Calories: 70
Fat: 3
Carbohydrates: 19
Protein 4.

Yet, if you look at the macros, you get (3x9)+(19x4)+(5x4) which adds up to 123. That's a 53 calorie difference.

And this isn't the only example I've seen of this. Sometimes, the numbers are EXACT- down to the calorie. Other times, the calories based on macros are significantly higher or lower than the listed calories on the packaging. I understand rounding to a nice, whole, clean number, but that isn't always what's happening here.

Any idea what's happening here?

Replies

• dloewen17
    dloewen17 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I actually just came across this too with the tortillas I use. I believe they use the net carbs figure when they calculate the total calories per serving. I’m willing to bet the tortilla in that example has about 12 grams of fiber in it. The math checks out when you use 7 grams of carbs. (3x9)+(7x4)+(4x4)=71
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    dloewen17 wrote: »
    I actually just came across this too with the tortillas I use. I believe they use the net carbs figure when they calculate the total calories per serving. I’m willing to bet the tortilla in that example has about 12 grams of fiber in it. The math checks out when you use 7 grams of carbs. (3x9)+(7x4)+(4x4)=71

^^This!
  • SignsofPoetry
    SignsofPoetry Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    But this happens even with foods that aren't super high in fiber.