2nd week and no loss

Options
pins1982
pins1982 Posts: 18 Member
Hi weighed myself today after a week and I’ve stayed the same, I did 5lb the first week so am a bit disheartened I did everything same ate under my calories only by a few mins you and exercised was hoping to see at least a 1lb.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I think we need more information to give you an answer

* are you only weighing once per week
    * How big is your deficit, age, weight and length? And which weightloss goal did you chose?
    * Are you using a food scale to measure all food?
    * For how long have you been working out?
  • pins1982
    Options
    Yes weighing once a week, I’m 37 5ft 9 and chose 1.5lb week weight loss. My calorie deficit is 1370.
    Been working out last 8 weeks 5 days a week but only just started calorie deficit two weeks ago.
    Yes weighing good but uncertain about things like roast pototoes and chicken do I weigh before then add oil calories etc
  • ttcbelieve
    ttcbelieve Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    pins1982 wrote: »
    Yes weighing good but uncertain about things like roast pototoes and chicken do I weigh before then add oil calories etc

Hello

Yes you have to weigh before or you may be unknowingly adding calories. For roasted potato and chicken, weigh it all raw. Uncooked potato, raw chicken, oil, everything . That’s the only way to ensure you have the right calorie count
  • yirara
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Yes, totally. Likely water weight fluctuations. If you weigh once a week then you might be unlucky to get an unusual low measurement one week, and an unusually high measurement the next. A weight trending app might help you see the trend in the data, but with one datapoint per week (always under same conditions, best naked in the morning after loo) it will take longer to get meaningful data.

And hey, so the scale showed a down of 5lbs in two weeks. That's 2.5 per week. What's wrong with that?

Weigh everything uncooked, and everything separately. Thus potato with skin x grams, 10ml of cooking oil, etc. etc. Many things change their weight after cooking, some things lose weight (water and fat mostly), others take up things and become heavier. Raw weight is the most precise as you don't know how much food changes from cooking.
  • pins1982
    Options
    Thanks for all your help I will weigh myself I think mon, weds and Fridays and get a weight trending app. I will also make sure I do it at the same time every day! I’m also due on so I haven’t took that in to consideration. Thanks everyone for your help and support xx
  • hipari
    hipari Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    I agree with @yirara , unlucky with fluctuations is a likely answer here. I weigh daily, so here’s an example from my last two weeks:

In the last couple of weeks I’ve been on a trip, had a party, and generally had highs and lows in terms of menstruation, drinking alcohol, eating lots of carbs, sweating a lot in a sauna and so on. Here’s my weight loss results weekday to weekday from last week to this week:

Monday: -2,8lbs
    Tuesday: -0,2lbs
    Wednesday: -1,3lbs
    Thursday: -2lbs
    Friday: -0,6lbs
    Saturday: -1,3lbs
    Sunday: -0,4lbs

As you can see, there’s a big difference in my weekly weight loss depending on which day of the week happens to be my weigh-in day. Believing I lost 2,8lbs in a week versus 0,2lbs in a week depending on which weekday is my weigh-in day would really mess with my motivation and trust in the process. This is why I weigh in daily and use a trend weight app to see what my actual weight loss trend is (currently 0,9 lbs per week).
  • yirara
    Options
    I use the basic version of Happy Scale. It's free and for iOS. Android has something similar. Not sure about the name though.

And yes, water fluctuations are totally a thing. There are dozens of reasons why fluid levels in your body fluctuate. And hey, about 60% of your body consists of fluid, thus it's constant ebb and flood there :D Bit more salt, bit more carbs, TOM or middle of cycle, new sport, stress, traveling - and especially flying is a kill joy in that respect! Moving a bit less, moving a bit more, drinking too little might make your body hold onto fluids, high outside temperatures, sometimes no discernible reason at all.
  • hipari
    Options
    I think the similar android app is called Libra. I’m also a Happy Scale user and I really like it.
  • roger00022000
    roger00022000 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Most weight loss experts and dietitians will tell you to NEVER weigh yourself daily. First off, the standard bathroom scale isn't really very accurate and is more for a general idea of how much a person weighs. The scales in a gym, if they are a "bar scale" is much more accurate but even those can be off by a pound or more. The scales at a doctor's office or dietitians office are accurate as long as they receive periodic calibrations. Finally, the fluctuations that occur not just throughout the day, but also day to day, can become very disheartening and zap your motivation. I weigh myself 3 or 4 times a week, but my "official weight loss log" is once a week, on the same day, first thing when I get out of bed. Consistency is better, or so I've been told. Reducing the modifying factors tends to make things more accurate, and less disheartening. Also, weight loss is a very gradual thing, whereas weight gain is instantaneous. Keep working at it, and the rewards will come.
  • sarebearr
    sarebearr Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It sometimes just happens like that! Don't get discouraged, weight loss is never linear. 5 lbs in a week is a LOT so it makes sense that your body slowed down the following week. Keep doing what you are doing, and work in some extra cardio if you feel like it. Think big picture
  • hipari
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Most weight loss experts and dietitians will tell you to NEVER weigh yourself daily. First off, the standard bathroom scale isn't really very accurate and is more for a general idea of how much a person weighs. The scales in a gym, if they are a "bar scale" is much more accurate but even those can be off by a pound or more. The scales at a doctor's office or dietitians office are accurate as long as they receive periodic calibrations. Finally, the fluctuations that occur not just throughout the day, but also day to day, can become very disheartening and zap your motivation. I weigh myself 3 or 4 times a week, but my "official weight loss log" is once a week, on the same day, first thing when I get out of bed. Consistency is better, or so I've been told. Reducing the modifying factors tends to make things more accurate, and less disheartening. Also, weight loss is a very gradual thing, whereas weight gain is instantaneous. Keep working at it, and the rewards will come.

Daily fluctuations are only disheartening if you don't look at them in context. I weigh daily and just plug my weight into a weight trending app. Focus on the trend, not the daily weight. Nothing wrong with collecting more data if that works for an individual.

I can totally predict my weight throughout the week. I know it will be lowest on Sundays and Mondays, and then rise slowly throughout the week until Saturday morning because of office job and a bit fluid retention associated with that. As such I do weigh every morning and put my weight in a weight trending app. This truly shows me that I'm maintaining.

Yep, knowing your own body’s internal workings helps a lot in understanding your trends. I’m losing weight so I expect a downward trend, but I still know to expect lower numbers on the weekend (if not partying the night before to cause water retention) because my bathroom schedule allows an, ahem, emptier weigh-in on weekends when I can sleep in and wait longer in the morning before I have to weigh in, get dressed and go to work like in the weekdays.
  • melissatwill
    melissatwill Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I notoriously don’t lose anything the 2nd week in or I lose very little; I’ve heard this is extremely common. The first week I tend to drop a lot (as you did) & then my body is like “hey what’s going on” & I don’t see a change.

Just keep doing what you’re doing and I can almost guarantee that you will see another good drop on week 3. It can be annoying, weight fluctuations and all, but don’t let that get in your head. Weight loss is not linear & so much goes into it. As women, hormones play a huge role. You’ll get there- just keep moving forward!
  • BuddhaBunnyFTW
    BuddhaBunnyFTW Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    What and when you eat is what impacted my weight loss the most, I hardly excercise due to joint issues. I've lost 45 lbs just changing my diet. I choose low glycemic foods and eat mostly plant based. All I had to do was be patient. It took me a year, but I changed my eating habits and now I don't need to track calories or weight myself because I've made the lifestyle change.