When do you stop your HRM?

Options
After you are done with your workout/cooldown or once your HR is back to "normal"? Been wondering about this since I got my HRM on Tuesday.

Let me know, thanks! :happy:

Replies

• SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I stop it when I'm done with the exercise activity. For two reasons - 1) So I can have an accurate time and 2) I figure the "afterburn" is bonus.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I stop it when I'm done with the exercise activity. For two reasons - 1) So I can have an accurate time and 2) I figure the "afterburn" is bonus.

I basically do the same as this.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    As soon as I stop the exercise.
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options

I basically do the same as this.

Same here
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    Yeah same, never really thought about it before though.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Ok. I've been stopping it as soon as I'm done working out as well. So, cool. Thanks!
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I was reading somewhere you should wait until you've cooled down a bit. I don't let it get back to "resting" or anything, but back out of "fitness" for sure. Depends on what I did as well, if it was just a nice walk I stop it when I'm done. If it was a long, hard run, I give it about 5-10 minutes and stretch first before I stop it.

Either way, I love my HRM!!!!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    when I'm done with the cool down. I'm OCD I like to stop it when the number is exactly at like 30minutes, or 34,35, etc. lol
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    If you start your HRM too soon, and if you leave it running while you cool down, it will record a decreased average heart rate because it will include the resting heart rate before you start and the cool down heart rate.

To determine the most accurate average heart rate for the activity, start the HRM just as you begin the warm-up, and stop it immediately upon beginning the cool down.

blessings.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I take my HR after I finish and then stop the timer, this way I get an accurate accounting of the calories. I would suggest you read the paperwork that came with your HRM and see what it suggests.
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Same
  • mrselbow
    mrselbow Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I start when I start warm-up and stop it as soon as I've finished cool-down/stretch.
  • jeff261159
    Options
    I start when I start running, but stop it when done with stretching and warm down, having logged my time, although for time/distance I use mapmyrun on the iPhone. Anyone else use mapmyrun fancy joining me as a training friend?