Recipe using canned chicken?

Options
I have slot of canned chicken in the pantry. Any ideas on what I could turn it into?
I was thinking of adding bbq sauce cause I love bbq sauce and doing pulled chicken?
Other ideas?
Anyone make pulled chicken from canned chicken?

Replies

• harper16
    harper16 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Would it work for chicken salad?
  • KrissDotCom
    KrissDotCom Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Substitute it in casseroles.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I somehow panic bought a bunch of canned chicken at the beginning of the pandemic. Lol - I turned it into a couple styles of chicken salad. One was with lots of curry powder and some Greek yogurt and chopped green onions. One was with spicy mustard and a little chopped pickle. Made it work!
  • heather9986hg
    heather9986hg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    harper16 wrote: »
    Would it work for chicken salad?

Yes but I'm getting bored of that
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    It works well in chicken noodle soup. Just combine chicken broth, your preferred noodle or pasta, and canned chicken. If you like, throw in some frozen or canned carrots and/or peas.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    I didn't know this is a thing. Maybe Jack Monroe has a few ideas. I know she does a lot with tinned food: https://cookingonabootstrap.com/tag/tinned-food/
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I have never seen canned chicken, now I'm curious!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    It would work nicely inside a thin crepe/pancake :smile: does the canned chicken come in a sauce? the ones I've seen/used did.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options
    How about avgolemono soup?
    https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/avgolemono_soup/
    Have that with a greek salad for a complete meal.
    One of my typical leftover roast chicken meals.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I know you mean the canned chicken that is just like canned tuna but I had a flashback to the 50s when my mother used to buy whole chickens in the can -- bones and all -- very odd.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    We were in Canada visiting family when the Great 2020 Grocery Buying Panic happened in March. We got back before the border closed, but were unable at first to get fresh meat and produce. So, we got a lot of canned stuff.

I've been posting "lockdown meals" (with pics) in the "Recipes - What Was the Last Thing You Cooked?" thread here, as I've tried to make canned chicken, beef, turkey (and yes, Spam) into a variety of healthful and appetizing dishes. MFP helps, because being a rigorous logger, I am helped to ensure the family is getting the right nutrients.

So, for example, on ...
    04/17, I made a "pulled-chicken-like" BBQ dish
    05/07, I made a "faux Moroccan Chicken and Lentil" stew
    05/23, I made a "Deconstructed Chicken-Cabbage Roll" dish
    05/27, I made a "Turkey-Rice Casserole" (for which you can easily substitute chicken)
    06/04, I made a "Mediterranean Chicken over Saffron Rice" dish.

Quality canned meats can be very helpful in these situations and nutritious. However, cold and straight out of the can, they can be less than appealing. With due diligence, you can use them to create pretty much anything you want that doesn't involve stand-alone meat (like a grilled chicken breast). I adapt many recipes by assuming my meats are already cooked and add them at an assembly/flavor blending stage (for instance, in a saute dish that starts with cooking diced chicken, I simply bypass that and do the veggies and blend at a later time in the process). And when making a wet dish that would otherwise require broth, I substitute the canned packing water for some portion of broth (to conserve my on-hand supply of course) with decent results (but - this water is usually salty and not at the same flavor intensity as broth, so make adjustments).

Canned meats got us through the worst parts of the grocery situation, and we'll always maintain a supply now that our eyes are opened.

Good luck.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I know you mean the canned chicken that is just like canned tuna but I had a flashback to the 50s when my mother used to buy whole chickens in the can -- bones and all -- very odd.

I've had weird experiences with canned chicken too. Some brands are excellent and the chicken is a lot like canned tuna. One time, though, I bought canned chicken and it was legit little balls of chicken in juice, and not in a pleasant way like soup. More like, globs in ooze. They weren't even packed in tight, so I felt like I got ripped off too.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

I've had weird experiences with canned chicken too. Some brands are excellent and the chicken is a lot like canned tuna. One time, though, I bought canned chicken and it was legit little balls of chicken in juice, and not in a pleasant way like soup. More like, globs in ooze. They weren't even packed in tight, so I felt like I got ripped off too.

Reminds me of a very old one-liner joke: The food at that restaurant is so terrible, and the portions are so small!
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of a very old one-liner joke: The food at that restaurant is so terrible, and the portions are so small!

First time I heard a version of that was as an insult. A friend on a search (hiring) committee after an interview with a candidate reported to the rest of us, "Bad food and so little of it." We knew the woman wasn't gonna be hired.

• River314
    River314 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I use canned chicken to make stir fry
  • kuvadog
    kuvadog Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I mix it with canola mayo and relish, spread it on a healthy tortilla (Xtreme Wellness), sprinkle some reduced-fat cheese- and it’s a great low-cal, high protein meal.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    @heather9986hg although I answered at length previously above, your original question inspired me tonight. I made a BBQ "pulled" chicken, using one 28oz can of chicken, fresh rough-diced green pepper and onion, BBQ sauce (Sweet Baby Rays is the fam favorite). As a side, and pertinent to the "lockdown" undercurrent to this thread, I made a mac and cheese casserole ... using powdered ingredients (cheese, eggs, milk) from my long-term pantry stores. Results below. Family thought it was pretty good. I've yet to compute my MFP macros, but let's say this wasn't a dietetic night tonight, LOL. Was a good pouring-rain work-at-home-day morale meal, though.

hwhgloikqyrc.jpg
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,315 Member
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Enchiladas! White Chili! White Lasagna?
  • allycs85
    allycs85 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I didn't even know canned chicken was a thing 🤢
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options
    This recipe for Cheesy Buffalo Chicken Dip (which I just made today) wants you to poach chicken, but a number of the reviewers said they used canned chicken: https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/157725/cheesy-buffalo-chicken-dip/

The first time I made it I used regular cheddar cheese, but I think it works better with a melty-er style of cheese, like American.