Tofu/ Tempeh recipe reccomendations?

Options
corcorank95
corcorank95 Posts: 2 Member
My sister is going vegan and I'm trying to increase the number of recipes that I can make that will still be suitable for her, any recommendations or tips when it comes to preparing tofu or tempeh would be appreciated!
I've only had General Tso's Tofu, and while it absorbed the flavor and was delicious it was also batter fried and very sugary, so I'm trying to find healthier ways of cooking it while still being tasty ^_^

Replies

• MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Tofu can be pressed and then marinated in the same fashion as you'd dry brine/"season" any animal protein. It also takes to sauces very well once pressed of its water.

Generally, I find most meat recipes that are baked, pan-fried, BBQ'd etc can be easily subbed with tofu.

As for tempeh, I find it's an acquired taste and I much prefer pre-flavored or (gulp) processed versions like the sesame quinoa tempeh I warmed up in a pan with Pam and then dipped into my soft-boiled eggs for breakfast earlier this week.

And if your sister is not gluten-free then seiten may be something else for your family to explore.

Happy cooking!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,628 Member
    Options
    I find seitan can be used as a meat replacement in any asian stir fry recipe if you don't mind the gluten. I get it at the asian supermarket where it is known as "buddhist mock meat". Here is an example of a recipe.
    https://www.bonappetit.com/story/how-to-make-vietnamese-canh

I love tempeh but unfortunately the nicest way to have it, is deep fried and then smothered in a sticky caramel based sauce, Indonesian style.

I have heard that tossing cubes of tofu in corn starch before stir frying gives a crispy edge.
  • corcorank95
    corcorank95 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for the tips, I'll give these a go!! ^_^
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    I'll differ from others, and say that I think plain tempeh is pretty neutral tasting, and is good browned (oven or small amount of oil in a stovetop pan) and put in soup, stew, or whatever. It's a little scary looking, though. It can be marinated or seasoned yourself, or bought flavored (I haven't enjoyed the purchased, flavored ones, personally - I can do better).

I also like smoked tofu (purchased that way), and regularly use it to make a Rueben-like sandwich, with sauerkraut and cheese (vegan cheese could be used, but I do eat dairy). It's firmer than even extra firm tofu.

As far as regular tofu, I'm lazy about pressing it. I find that if I get the extra firm type, cube it (1/2" or smaller) and put it under the broiler with a spritz of oil, tossing once or twice, watching so it doesn't burn, it will get crispy and somewhat dry, so absorb sauces nicely.

Another option is to buy silken tofu, and blend it into soups or sauces for extra protein. I've found it can even be blended into guacamole in a reasonable proportion, and the guac still tastes like guac.

Beans of all sorts are also good. If you get canned refried beans, make sure they're vegan (some have lard). Bean soups and stews are good, and veggie chili is tasty (use unsweetened cacao/cocoa powder, like around 3-7g per serving to taste** for a richer flavor, or some dark miso. (** needs to be cooked a bit before tasting to take the raw edge off). Any kind of beans in enchiladas or burritos or that sort of thing can be good - vegan cheese, or no cheese but lots of nice veggies for flavor. Indian food has many, many delicious vegan recipes. There are also African peanut stews that are great.

(I'd point out recipes, but - with apologies - I don't mostly use recipes, I just cook stuff).

Another thing to consider would be legume-based pastas or "rice". The chickpea, lentil and pea pastas, IME, have a similar texture to wheat pasta, but 2-3X the protein. I find some of them to have a slightly flatter taste than wheat pasta, so a rich sauce is good. Someone else on MFP suggested making tomato sauce with cooked lentils, and dried mushrooms that are powdered (blender/food processor), and whatever seasonings you like in a normal tomato sauce.

There are also black bean and edamame pastas, with 3x or more the protein of regular wheat pasta. These I find to have a different texture than wheat pasta, the edamame and skinny forms of black bean pasta mostly a little more chewy than wheat pasta. Some people like them in tomato sauce, which I don't. But I've found I do like them in pseudo-Asian sauces/preparations, such as cooked and combined with stir-fried veggies and whatever sauce you like. One of my favorite quick ones is peanut or almond powder mixed with gochujang chile paste (make sure it's a vegan one - some have fish sauce!), plus enough rice vinegar to get a good texture for tossing with the veggies/noodles. If you have the calories, some toasted sesame oil is a good addition, and you can use any seasonings you like (such as minced garlic, ginger, chopped raw green onions, or whatever).

The bigger shapes of black bean pasta I've tried have not been my favorites: They tend to go quickly from too firm to mushy. I've ended up using them in soups to use them up, where that texture's not a big problem.

If you're not familiar with vegan cooking, it's worth noting that people use nutritional yeast to add a richer, somewhat cheesy flavor to many things (casseroles, soups, vegan gravy, etc.). I frequently add some to a pea or bean soup, for example.

Good luck!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,628 Member
    Options
    Oh whoops. I see I added the wrong link. Here is the example of a vegan stir fry using seitan.
    ttps://www.connoisseurusveg.com/vegan-mongolian-beef/
  • LinkedEmpire
    LinkedEmpire Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan but including vegan meals opened up my taste buds so here goes..
    Simmer tempeh in water just to soften a bit. Then marinate or season and let it rest as you would meat. It will improve the texture and not be as off putting. Tempeh can be used as taco crumbles, salad toppers too. 'Steak fajitas'?
    I like tofu in miso broth, only drawback is the sodium level. Search YouTube for Japanese meals as the flavors are always balanced.

Tofu Stir fry , 'cheesecake', protein shakes, smoothies, or sliced and pan seared like spam for a side dish.

Mushrooms make good alternatives too. Shitake, oyster, portobello. I've seen bbq recipes, veggie burgers floating around.

I like meatleass crumbles too, I mentioned it somewhere else in MFP land. Quorn or morning veggie brand. Tastes just like 90% lean ground beef.
    🥬🥒
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegan, or even vegetarian, but I do like tempeh on occasion. Here's a recipe I came up with:

6 oz tempeh
    1.5 Tbs soy sauce
    1 tsp hot sauce
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    2 Tbs oil

Dice the tempeh into small cubes. In a small bowl, combine other ingredients (except oil) and whisk to combine. Add the tempeh and mix to coat. Let marinate for 30 minutes. By this time the tempeh should have absorbed all the liquid.

Heat oil in a pan and fry the tempeh until nice and crisp. Eat hot. For me this is two servings - I like it as a salad topper, or alongside fried or scrambled eggs, it would also be good on top of peanut or sesame noodles (or zoodles!). HTH